Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

I too have three babies...two human and one fur. But it's my label and of course people can agree or disagree. In any case, as others said, it isn't uncommon here at all. And Hola, that is a terrible thing to say from a mother to a son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM

136 posts, read 390,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I too have three babies...two human and one fur. But it's my label and of course people can agree or disagree. In any case, as others said, it isn't uncommon here at all. And Hola, that is a terrible thing to say from a mother to a son.
I totally agree! But she is a bit.. shall we say, unreasonable, at times. But yes, it was definitely uncalled for. She does already have grandkids so it isn't like we were her only hope

Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
I suppose a DINK is a better choice than a NIDK (No Income, Dual Kids).

Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I do have kids and in no way care if you breed or not. In fact why would people care? This boggles my mind. I live in Charlotte and if you all came here, I would not think you guys are oddballs, nor would I make an asinine comment that you will one day. So come and be welcome. I do meet both families with both just fur babies and/or human babies, don't matter none to me.

+1 ^

Bet the majority of the population think the same as above.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
I'm a childless adult single, OP, and I totally understand what your are saying. I live in NW PA, and it's mostly all Catholic and rural, so that is like the triple-whammy curse of low educational levels, oppressive Mediterranean and/or Eastern European Catholicism, plus the family-life-or-no-life social situation for women in small rural towns.

I have been trying to decide where to move, because I just want to work and enjoy the company of interesting and cultured child-free urban professionals, and I am done with all childrearing forever. One of the things that I hated about my ex-husband's family was the way, every family gathering, the men all sat in one room and talked about all sorts of things, and wimmen in another. I was forced to go sit with those boring wimmen, and ALL they ever talked about was their geedee childrearing and who is expecting and who just gave birth, and loads and loads of trivial gossip about whatever they saw their neighbors doing. It's no wonder that I got a divorce.

But having been divorced a few years now, I truly do not want to associate with anyone whose entire life revolves around raising children. Ever. again. And I am tired of their scornful or pitying attitudes toward me because I am childless. I can only put up with children and family people in very small and infrequent doses. Like, at weddings, funerals, birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions, LOL!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am in the wrong place because I don't know what a "dink" is so I guess I am not one.

Honestly, most people do not care what you do with your lives and if you choose to "shack up" and "not breed" (which by the way is usually said in reference to animals not humans) it is your choice, your business and you should not care what other's think of you. Also, you are a parent ONLY if you have created and gave birth to a human child. You are a PET OWNER if you have animals in your care.

Of course it is your choice to refer to yourselves as such though.

See yourself as superior, much? hahahahahaha!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

226 posts, read 693,426 times
My husband & I are DINKs at the moment. I'm 29 & he's 33. We may have kids eventually, but right now, we're like the couple in the intro to Idiocracy - working on careers, buying a house late last year, not feeling financially ready, etc. My mom has called me every year on my birthday to remind me where she was at my age. Luckily, my little sister had a baby, so the pressure's off (for now).

Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM

177 posts, read 447,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
DINK = Double Income No Kids

So if I choose to adopt a child does that make me not a parent? To parent is to ACT as a mother or father ... which is exactly what I do with my dog.
If you have a "fur baby" (which is a ridiculously annoying term), then no, you are NOT a parent. You are a parent only to a human being. That human can be biological, adopted, surrogate, etc.....just not an animal.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
I thought we were DINKS because all our kids have flown off. However we have 2 DINKS, one is married and another not, and no plans for family with either DINK. That is their choice.
We do have a large black canine which goes everywhere with us even to some of the local watering holes and restaurants.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyblu View Post
First, if you know what a DINK is, you've come to the right place.

My SO and I are rare Southern anomalies who believe that men and women are placed on this earth to do something other than marry and multiply. We are both approaching 40 and mutually decided that we are perfectly happy "shacking up" and parenting dogs.

Our recent challenge, however, is finding like-minded people in the Bible Belt. Apparently, we have broken some kind of moral code and something is wrong with us for making the conscious decision NOT to breed.

Ever-so-tired of the horrified and/or judgmental reactions "the others", we have embarked upon a journey to find like-minded couples. Surely, we aren't the only ones around these parts that enjoy our child-free life. Any takers...

DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to offend those that have made the choices to marry and have children. It's just not OUR choice...
You write a post full of self righteous smarm, then issue a disclaimer? Interesting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: