U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I fixed this for you:
"According to this report it's not distributed equally. Districts 1, 2, 3 & 5 get the lion's share of tax money. Districts 4, 6 & 7 get a much smaller amount"

See - no arguments there.
Most people do not know where these districts are located. This is why I created the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
High property tax bills and not much to show for it. Many of those outlying areas were involuntarily brought into the city limits. There is a myth that West & East Charlotte has been neglected by the city. Several politicians used this argument to justify the streetcar. You even said it yourself in the Eastland mall topic. Yet the map proves otherwise.

It never hurts to put the facts out there.
Facts? Like the fact that all the heavy industrial is parked outside of the "north" and "south" areas and the only vehicles on south Charlotte roads are passenger cars, usually transporting ONE individual inefficiently? Or the fact that most of south and north Charlotte is brand spanking new with sidewalks and bike racks already? Or that north and south Charlotte has the highest property values and best schools in town AND THAT'S WHY THEIR TAXES ARE HIGHER, lol.

If north and south Charlotte folks want to pay less in taxes and still live in Charlotte, let them park their candy asses in EAST or WEST Charlotte!! But don't move to Ardrey Kell and then whine about your VALUABLE PROPERTY!! It's asinine. Much like your chart and "facts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
a dialogue, by Native_Son

S.M.A.R.T.: dadgummit! The terrible schools get TWICE per student than MY student!!!! AND I PAY MORE! That's just WROOOOOONG!!
Logical being: yikes. Say there, Mr. S.M.A.R.T., is your school in an old building?
S.M.A.R.T.: No way, our school is BRAND SPANKING NEW and houses the BEST TECHNOLOGY available when it was built 9 years ago!
Logical being: Nice! Well how about your athletic facilities? Do you have enough room for multiple sports so men and women can BOTH play? Do you have a place to play a football game on a Friday night, and is there any room for parking or VISITING fans?
S.M.A.R.T.: Of course there is! Our fields are beautiful, the gem of our school, a representation of our PRIDE. We have a wonderful stadium, ample parking and plenty of concession stands! We have a men's AND women's football field!!
Logical being: Hmmm. That sounds nice too! Say, about your student achievement rates... are your students any GOOD?
S.M.A.R.T. [harumphing]: Our students? We have the TOP SCHOOLS IN THE STATE! Our students excel at a rate urban schools can only DREAM ABOUT. Our students have every advantage, and we aim to KEEP IT THAT WAY!
Logical being: Well that's noble. But you say the county isn't spending enough on your students... something doesn't make any sense here. What exactly is it that you need?
S.M.A.R.T. [guffawing]: Well Garinger High School got a PAINT JOB, and a new GOALPOST!! WE DESERVE A NEW PAINT JOB TOO!
Logical being: But Mr. S.M.A.R.T., your school is brand new, the paint isn't even dry from it's first coat! And you were just bragging about your beautiful athletic facilities!?!
S.M.A.R.T. [righteously indignant]: Well, well, well, WE PAY MORE!!1juan!1
Logical being: I'll be damned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
The schools would not be a part of this discussion since they are not funded by the city. CMS is funded by the county and that involves much more than Charlotte. Furthermore, CMS funding is decided by both an elected school board and the Mecklenburg county council.

Thus, since you bring up logic it's not logical to use them as an example in a topic about Charlotte city council spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The schools would not be a part of this discussion since they are not funded by the city. CMS is funded by the county and that involves much more than Charlotte. Furthermore, CMS funding is decided by both an elected school board and the Mecklenburg county council.

Thus, since you bring up logic it's not logical to use them as an example in a topic about Charlotte city council spending.
the similarities are obvious to any with the ability for critical thought, so it's not meant for your retort anyway.

Feel free to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,452,785 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Most people do not know where these districts are located. This is why I created the map.
The map itself is great and very informative. Like you said, most people don't know off-hand where the district boundaries lie, so the map explains that - it's factual - job done. Your subsequent rolling multiple districts into geographies that are but one person's opinion is the (deliberately?) obtuse part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
the similarities are obvious to any with the ability for critical thought, ....
I disagree. This requires the jump to conclusions the school board has made the same mistakes as the city in funding schools. I don't think they have because the federal government also has it's hands in that. I agree the level of incompetence in how schools are run probably has no equal. My sister the school teacher will give you an endless conversation on that.

However I don't think this is an equivalent to the spending of neighborhood bond money or anything close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
.... Your subsequent rolling multiple districts into geographies that are but one person's opinion is the (deliberately?) obtuse part.
You are absolutely correct. I gave my opinion of what constitutes West & East Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I disagree. This requires the jump to conclusions the school board has made the same mistakes as the city in funding schools. I don't think they have because the federal government also has it's hands in that. I agree the level of incompetence in how schools are run probably has no equal. My sister the school teacher will give you an endless conversation on that.

However I don't think this is an equivalent to the spending of neighborhood bond money or anything close to it.
the analogy is perfectly accurate.

Why the hell would you build a sidewalk where one exists? Why would you repave a road every 5 years when it only needs to be paved every 15? It's the same concept.

Go down to Westinghouse Blvd where the heavy trucks run all day and ask yourself why that road may need to be paved 5 times as often as Tom Short.

If you can't acknowledge that differences in land use and AGE OF FACILITIES would have a DIRECT IMPACT on upkeep costs, I don't know what to say. If you can't acknowledge that the NICEST areas of the city/county are largely residential with minimal industrial and heavy commercial use, I don't know what to say... you're not having a conversation based on the real world.

And it's exactly why those Union County subdivisions will either start paying huge tax increases in coming years or go to pot with lack of maintenance. EVERYTHING looks good in years 1-10... Get back with me on year 50 and describe your tax-free utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Go down to Westinghouse Blvd where the heavy trucks run all day and ask yourself why that road may need to be paved 5 times as often as Tom Short..
I don't have to ask this question because highways such as Westinghouse Blvd are located are the responsibility of the NCDOT, not the Charlotte city council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top