U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times

Advertisements

Where does all the bond money go in Charlotte? According to this report it's not distributed equally. West Charlotte & East Charlotte get the lion's share of tax money. The North & South get a much smaller amount. This is exactly opposite of what is often said about government spending on neighborhoods. It kills the myth that government can "fix" areas by throwing money at it.

No wonder Ballantyne wants to form its own city.
  • West Charlotte - $287M
  • East Charlotte - $194M
  • South Charlotte - $81M
  • North Charlotte - $86M

Report:

9 Investigates: Some say certain parts of Charlotte get more... | www.wsoctv.com

I created this map of where the money goes.

West Charlotte -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM

These figures don't include the Eastland Mall money.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times
Isn't there a big ole airport sitting in west Charlotte?

Of course, this is Channel 9, they are not known for being able to disect information such as: What was the money spent on? A little more information would be helpful. In short, you have presented numbers with a statement implying that there is something wrong here. There may or may not be, your list is of just numbers, not details. And, in keeping with Channel 9 tradition, there is not much here. Would you buy a stock knowinig just the PE Ratio, 52 Week hi/Lo and Div Ratio? I would not unless you just don't know much about economics and think that the income is listed on the balance sheet.

The $287m in the west also appears to reach i485 in the north and almost to I85 in the northeast. "East" Charlotte also includes downtown which has a big tax base.

As for Ballantyne, the majority don't want to form a city. The owners/developers of the office park and largest job generator in Ballantyne said they are not interested in forming a new city. In fact, they said it would be harder to develop the park without Charlotte. So, your inference is not based in fact.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-06-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Interesting district map. I probably wouldnt consider some of these areas to be East and West.. I wonder how much of this money is spent in Uptown and the Airport.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,580 times
You would have immediately discredited such broad strokes nonsense had it not actually suited your agenda.
Who knew that so much of 'west' Charlotte was actually east of I-77??

Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times
. It was studied by doctoral level economist who study these impacts for a living. However, WSOC TV is held up as a standard when discussing economics even though the reporters who presented this report and the one regarding property taxes have degrees in Broadcast Cinematics and law. So, we are to believe TV reporters but, ignore folks with doctorates in econ......interesting logic.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-06-2013 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
You would have immediately discredited such broad strokes nonsense had it not actually suited your agenda.
Who knew that so much of 'west' Charlotte was actually east of I-77??
It should be pretty clear on that map. BTW, the traditional definition of West Charlotte has been that of which is west of South Blvd. It is, after all where East Blvd changes name to West Blvd. I-77 is a relative new comer in roads through the city. The map reflects this.

For questions about "agenda", that should have been pretty clear in the OP as well. The distribution of neighborhood improvement money in Charlotte is not done on an equal basis. I hope this addresses your concerns. Vast amounts of money have been poured into West & East and relatively little into North & South.

Last edited by frewroad; 05-07-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
...I wonder how much of this money is spent in Uptown and the Airport.
I can't speak for downtown, but the city taxpayers do not finance the airport with neighborhood improvement bonds. In fact, the airport runs in the black and returns money to the city. It is self financed through landing fees on the Airlines and federal grants from the FAA. As we all know, the FAA pays all the salaries of the air traffic controllers as well as many others involved with the operation. The feds paid for the 4th runway.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM

140 posts, read 201,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It should be pretty clear on that map. BTW, the traditional definition of West Charlotte has been that of which is west of South Blvd. It is, after all where East Blvd changes name to West Blvd. I-77 is a relative new comer in roads through the city. The map reflects this.

For questions about "agenda", that should have been pretty clear in the OP as well. The distribution of neighborhood improvement money in Charlotte is not done on an equal basis. I hope this addresses your concerns. Vast amounts of money have been poured into West & East and relatively little into North & South.
Maybe it hasn't occured to you that South Charlotte doesn't NEED as much improvement money because it's already pretty new and well-maintained?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Maybe it hasn't occured to you that South Charlotte doesn't NEED as much improvement money because it's already pretty new and well-maintained?
Exactly. It's like arguing that your brand new house needs to be painted just because your neighbors 50 year old house across the street needs to be painted.

Faulty logic, vague accusations and no real meat.

What are the "cheated" districts NOT getting? Unneeded maintenance money?!? It's called responsible spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or