Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes they can, they can keep them indoors where they'll stay safe. A domesticated animal has no reason to be outside roaming around where it can be killed by wildlife, hit by a car, or injured by people with bad intentions. Not to mention the various illnesses they can pick up, including feline leukemia.

If I was the OP, I would first talk to the cats' owners, and if that didn't work I would trap the cats and take them down to the animal shelter. After paying the fines a few times, the owners hopefully will start taking better care of their pets.
If someone's cat ends up at a shelter here, it will likely be nuked. Where I previously lived, Animal Control handed out citations. Here--I have never heard of a happy ending when a cat was taken to a shelter.

Now, maybe others know differently, but I am just giving my own experiences.

As far as your belief that all cats will happily stay inside, I beg to differ. I have had cats since I was a child and although some are happily indoor cats, and some have no desire to stray outside the fence at their homes even when let outdoors with their owners, many do want outdoor time on their own. It will often help to have them spayed/neytered, but not always.

All cats are not alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,725,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If someone's cat ends up at a shelter here, it will likely be nuked. Where I previously lived, Animal Control handed out citations. Here--I have never heard of a happy ending when a cat was taken to a shelter.

As far as your belief that all cats will happily stay inside, I beg to differ. I have had cats since I was a child and although some are happily indoor cats, and some have no desire to stray outside the fence at their homes even when let outdoors with their owners, many do want outdoor time on their own. It will often help to have them spayed/neytered, but not always.

All cats are not alike.
I think cats should stay inside. Would be interesting to hear of a survey of lifespan differences. That said, a friend of mine had an outdoor cat that lived past 13. But my indoor 13 year old was a lot bouncier. Could be genes.

The CMPD shelter is pretty good or at least was when my cat was 2. That was almost 14 years ago.

A clever thing they did (do?) is line up the most heart tugging specimens on display around the line to pay your cat tax. People standing in line are forced to look at kittens and we know how successful that has been for YouTube. So when I went with a friend to pick up dog tags, I went home with a cat!

There have been reports that a certain animal activist organization wants to eliminate domestic cats and dogs. The only way for our pets to be completely free of human torment is to not exist. I'm not kidding. They have been accused of picking up animals to "rescue" and euthanizing them in the vehicle.

I don't think that happens here though.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,927,862 times
Quote:
Lost cats that are taken to shelters are not "nuked" unless the owners decide not to pick it up. The shelters I have worked at usually have a holding period of 7 days. If the cats have responsible owners then they should have the proper identification (tags, micro chipped, etc.) for the shelter to contact that owners. If the owners don't come to claim the cats, and they're well behaved cats (good temperament, litterbox trained, etc.) then they'll just go up for adoption and hopefully will get owners who will take better care of them.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,412 times
Quote:

All cats are not alike.
Just because a cat 'wants' to spend time outside on their own doesn't mean that they should be able to without consequence to the owner. I believe that my dog would like to spend time outside on his own every day hunting squirrels, rabbits, birds, and cats. But, if he does I get fined when he gets caught. I have often heard the argument that cats are natural hunters and NEED to hunt. I call crap. Dogs are natural hunters as well, but once they became labeled 'domestic' their right to hunt freely is taken away. If you have an animal, keep it inside. If you feel like cats require some sort of nutrient that can only be gotten by killing birds and rodents (I have actually heard people give this as an argument for why it would be cruel to have a cat leash law), then go to the store and buy them live birds and rodents to dine on like people do for their snakes.

I got to this thread because I was looking for laws regarding cats since my dog just got in a tussle with one that roams the neighborhood and uses my flower beds for a bathroom. After cleaning the blood off of my dog, should I ever see that cat in my yard again, it will likely be the last time that cat is seen in my neighborhood. . .

And, for the argument that 99% of cats are not a threat to humans, so roaming free should be ok, most dogs are not an inherent threat to humans either. But, there are laws that require them to be contained.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

821 posts, read 1,843,013 times
Call Animal Control and ask them to inquire of the cat owners whether (1) their shots are up to date and (2) whether the taxes have been paid on the animals. I don't want to see an animal - cat or dog - suffer or abused because the owner is a jackass, but inflicting someone's "pet" on another person is absurd. "Cats will be cats" because the owner is irresponsible. Take it up with Animal Control.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Call Animal Control and ask them to inquire of the cat owners whether (1) their shots are up to date and (2) whether the taxes have been paid on the animals. I don't want to see an animal - cat or dog - suffer or abused because the owner is a jackass, but inflicting someone's "pet" on another person is absurd. "Cats will be cats" because the owner is irresponsible. Take it up with Animal Control.
They won't since there are no leash laws. The most they will do is lend you a cat cage to trap the cat and they will pick it up. Or if you can catch it safely, then you can call them to pick it up. This is for both Union County and Mecklenburg I had direct experience with.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,633,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks1973 View Post
And, for the argument that 99% of cats are not a threat to humans, so roaming free should be ok, most dogs are not an inherent threat to humans either. But, there are laws that require them to be contained.
I have never read a story of a child or other person being mauled to death by a free-roaming cat. Dogs, yes. I have never known a cat to chase people down to scratch or bite them, yet I have known aggressive dogs that do so.

I'm not saying there are no problems, but really, it's not about cats not being a threat (I don't believe cats are, despite the possibility of cat scratch fever & taxoplasmosis), it's about the relative risk. Much higher risk with loose dogs than cats.

An untrained dog is a danger, an untrained cat (read: 99.9% of cats) is a nuisance, at worst.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,382,069 times
oh boy, my dog would beg to differ,
she needed vet care after a neighbors cat attacked us while we
were on a walk.
darn cat came at my dog three times [ my dog being one of those breeds that
everybody is afraid of, large, black and tan]
I had to beat it off of my dogs face.
the owner just laughed and said he was not surpirsed , cat does
it all the time!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,409,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Cat people are weird and I should know. So, good luck with that. We have a neighbor that just smiles when you mention her cat peeing all over the place. She thinks it's so sweet.

And then there's the lady that ranted about the driver that ran over her cat with a car on how he should go to jail never once thinking that living outdoors shortens many cat's lives. And another who tragically rode the garage door up and was stuck at the top by its neck for hours.

Normal owners will just get mad at you for trapping their cat. So, you've got to act like you're crazy. Weirdos see them as humans even though humans tend to spend more time indoors where it's safer.
OMG- who's crazy?
Actually I think most people spend most of the time in their car and shopping. But certainly they don't spend much time outside.
We have 2 indoor/outdoor cats , they don't wear collars (they're dangerous) and neither are they ferel.
Just because a cat doesn't come to you and purr around your legs doesn't mean it's not friendly. Just cats have a great deal more common sense than most dogs and they are wary naturally, especially if they have had dealings with cruel humans before.
By all means douse the cats with water -sounds like a better deal for the cats than what some people might be suggesting. Also you can buy cat deterrent pellets or sprays.

Actually, we have several other outdoor cats in our neighborhood and I have a problem with the dog owners. They walk them on leashes but let them C--P on the front of our lot, which technically belongs to the state, but we maintain and mow it and get ****ty shoes. Or, they don't bother to use the leash and the dogs wander all over other peoples lawns and come and chase our cats o OUR deck.

As for invisible fences, I wish people would clearly display when they have one. I have been half scared to death whilst walking (you know-that thing that some crazy people do) when dogs come flying down their front yards towards the street barking and growling like crazy. The owners are often highly amused. We also have another dog in the area that runs out and chases cars.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,409,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks1973 View Post
Just because a cat 'wants' to spend time outside on their own doesn't mean that they should be able to without consequence to the owner. I believe that my dog would like to spend time outside on his own every day hunting squirrels, rabbits, birds, and cats. But, if he does I get fined when he gets caught. I have often heard the argument that cats are natural hunters and NEED to hunt. I call crap. Dogs are natural hunters as well, but once they became labeled 'domestic' their right to hunt freely is taken away. If you have an animal, keep it inside. If you feel like cats require some sort of nutrient that can only be gotten by killing birds and rodents (I have actually heard people give this as an argument for why it would be cruel to have a cat leash law), then go to the store and buy them live birds and rodents to dine on like people do for their snakes.

I got to this thread because I was looking for laws regarding cats since my dog just got in a tussle with one that roams the neighborhood and uses my flower beds for a bathroom. After cleaning the blood off of my dog, should I ever see that cat in my yard again, it will likely be the last time that cat is seen in my neighborhood. . .

You clearly know nothing about cats. Maybe you're also one of the people who thinks it's OK to keep a dog inside in a crate all day. Cats are far more complex creatures than dogs. Cats hunting has nothing to do with nutrition.
As for most dogs not being a threat I have to disagree completely.
http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

If it makes you feel like you're a big man, go ahead and kill the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte