Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 AM

51 posts, read 167,311 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I moved to Charlotte about 4 months ago from Cleveland, OH. We are in our mid 20's and really are missing having a good group of friends to do things with.

Would love to hear from anyone with suggestions OR others finding themselves in the same predicament!

About Us:
Live in South Charlotte (Close to SouthPark Mall)
Have two dogs
I'm a recruiter and he is a foreman for a Landscape design company
Love trying new restaurants
Still like going out (not big "clubbers"... more like having a beer at chill places where you're not fighting the crowds and paying money to walk in the door)
Love to watch football

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Pick up a Creative Loafing it has lists of groups and find one that interests you both. There also wide variety of churches in the area to also get to know other people.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice! I love reading Creative Loafing, I guess it's time I start actually putting it to use for something other than restaurant/bar suggestions!

As far as churches go, that is something I have been trying to look into as well. My boyfriend and I are not the most "religious" people (both grew up in homes where we only went to church on Christmas and Easter) but we really want to find a church where we feel comfortable. I sang in a gospel choir in college and loved it so I was trying to find a church with a great gospel choir. Really we just would like to find one with a young congregation that is willing to work with us on our faith!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwomg View Post
Thanks for the advice! I love reading Creative Loafing, I guess it's time I start actually putting it to use for something other than restaurant/bar suggestions!

As far as churches go, that is something I have been trying to look into as well. My boyfriend and I are not the most "religious" people (both grew up in homes where we only went to church on Christmas and Easter) but we really want to find a church where we feel comfortable. I sang in a gospel choir in college and loved it so I was trying to find a church with a great gospel choir. Really we just would like to find one with a young congregation that is willing to work with us on our faith!
Check out Elevation Church meeting at Providence High School on Sunday mornings - many people I know are raving about it for the young pastor and upbeat services.

Also, it you are outdoor types at all you should check out CHOA - Charlotte Outdoor Adventures - there are many ways to meet new people in that group! They are apparently having their next meet and greet November 29:

Carolinas Outdoor Adventures - the largest and most active outdoor sport and social organization in Charlotte and greater Carolinas

Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,944 times
Look into joining a recreation team of some sort - kickball, softball, bowling, etc ... i've even seen ski ball leagues!

Also, since you have dogs ... that's a great way to connect w/ others. The Dog Bar in NoDa is great.

Also, volunteering is great.

Young professional organizations. I know that the president of the Charlotte Jaycee's is trying to get that group built back up.

I'm an Ohio native myself. Went to Ohio University. We have a pretty decent size alumni chapter down here. Check to see if your school has one. They typically do monthly events.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 22,056 times
Yes you must go to Elevation church it is amazing!!...

Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 47,802 times
Default I agree heatwomg

heatwomg i feel like you and me are on the same level! My boyfriend and I moved here from NY just about 9 months ago, and am finding it hard to meet people. He has met a lot of people through his job, my job was 3rd shift so didn't have much interaction with people.
We love to go out and watch football, just can't find a good, not crowded place. Or go to a chill bar, where there is just people hanging out grabbing a few beers. I've been waaay homesick, mostly b/c i don't have any friends here. I've got to stop thinking about home and meet some people!!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
You guys should arrange a city data meetup.

This past sunday my partner insisted on a restaurant with TV's so they can watch the race so we went to TGIF at Northlake and there was just only a few people there.

They had 6 32 inch flat screens all on that um if you want to call it a game that feature that team called the panthers.
I talk my server in changing one to the race
For a Sunday afternoon it was a great place to be. Of course there is Fox & Hound across the street.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!! I definitely want to check out the dog bar in NODA. We are in a bowling league right now but I think we need to try a softball or kickball.. more people on a team to get to know. I really appreciate all the PM's that ya'll are sending too. It is so nice to know that there are others in the same situation. Definitely will need to set up a meet and drink =)

Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 37,088 times
Default Try This!

Hey, someone gave me this suggestion and it is awesome...go to meetup.com they have all kinds of social, religious or other groups that you can join online and meet up with in person. I joined a Good Eats club where members go and try out different restaurants, I also joined a professional networking club for women over 30...most of the groups are free!! I am seriously considering joining the Salsa Club or the Belly Dancing Club!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte