Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM

601 posts, read 956,923 times

Advertisements

Streetcar gets boost from city manager | CharlotteObserver.com

The new city manager proposed that the line could happen without the need for a property tax increase. Half of the funding will come from applying for federal grants, the other half would come from leftover money left unused in previous Capital Improvement Plans. The line was also re-branded, so it would fit more properly with the rest of the Lynx Rapid Transit system. They also talked about a potential spur to the airport.

The proposal is going to the MTC, and if approved, the city council will vote on it on May 28th.

Here's a map of the second phase of the streetcar line (grey):

It should be noted that the line would connect all higher-ed institutes together (CPCC, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith, UNCC Uptown campus), along with the Blue Line and future Gateway Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM

7,052 posts, read 12,271,696 times
I honestly don't understand why an east-west light rail line isn't on the table. Oh well, at least Beatties Ford and Central Ave are high transit ridership areas.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,262,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly don't understand why an east-west light rail line isn't on the table. Oh well, at least Beatties Ford and Central Ave are high transit ridership areas.
I definitely wonder the same thing. But I am excited that this thing isn't dead. Ron Carlee is a great manager. He gives me hope despite who the next mayor will be.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM

78 posts, read 99,949 times
While there are a lot of "ifs" in the proposal, most importantly; federal funding, I like the idea. Carlee seems like an intelligent manager, lets hope this gets done. It is imperative that the Gateway Station is connected to the CTC via a rail connection. Federal funding will likely be a lot easier with Foxx cutting the checks. Plus I have to imagine he would love to throw it back in McCrorys face (warranted or not).

And for those curious about light rail instead, the costs to run a light rail east/west through uptown would be astronomical. Keep in mind we used an old rail line for the current blue line. We do not have something like that running east/west. An elevated line would be the only real option for dedicated ROW, but you can bet we'd all be paying more in taxes for it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,238,898 times
Thank goodness there ar sensible people in charge like Carlee for his innovative thought and creativity. Hopefully, they secure federal funding to move this project forward.

I have ridden every line (Red, Orangle, Green, Blue and Yellow) in DC....everystop; it supports the entire area regardless of race, ethnicity or class.. I guess the metro designers in that area forgot how "black" PG county is.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-14-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: orphan the quoted post deleted

Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,724,204 times
We know anyone at the DOT? Someone took the bait.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM

407 posts, read 846,867 times
Not familiar with the city bus lines, but are there or could there be "special express buses" to run this route.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,342,301 times
The silver line running down independence would be light rail.

The gold line is not supposed to shuttle in people from the suburbs. It's only outside of uptown for a few miles. It's like light rail in SouthEnd; that's not a very fast segment and even slower in uptown. If the CityLynx went 10 miles outside of uptown, then, I might see the point.....

Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,555,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
Not familiar with the city bus lines, but are there or could there be "special express buses" to run this route.
They have express buses that runs down the middle of Independence...

People prefer rail though IMO. Buses have this stigma to them that can't be shaken regardless of how clean or efficient they run.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,790,086 times
The bottom line for many, if not most, people is that it will be slow, stuck on tracks (not easily rerouted), and extremely costly, and will do nothing a bus isn't currently doing. It will do nothing to ease congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte