U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 AM

53 posts, read 214,373 times

Advertisements

How is Porter Ridge Elementary School??? I'm having a hard time finding out info on this school. Any help would be great! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,297,719 times
It's a brand new school that just opened in 2005. Don't know much about it but that is where my kids will be going to school next year. From what I've read, Union County schools for the most part are supposed to be excellent, and Porter Ridge (from what I've heard) is still fairly rural so their overcrowding doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the other schools we looked at.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 AM

21 posts, read 79,359 times
Default Greatschools.net

Try this website, http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/NC. It tells you all the facts about the schools and also has parent reviews, if there are any.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,146 times
Hey there

I went to nc report cards site -- here is link for porter ridge.

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/schDetails.jsp?pYear=2004-2005&pLEACode=900&pSchCode=341 (broken link)

I have been to the "campus" for my son's football game last year -- it is beautiful. The high school and middle school are there as well. Just PM me if you want additional info.

Take care

Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM

743 posts, read 2,028,099 times
I visited Porter Ridge Elem last week. The school is beautiful. Very spacious and according to the principal, no where near capacity. Laid out very well. Very clean and taken care of. Everyone was very polite and courteous. Answered all of our questions. My kids absolutely loved the school. They can't wait to start in 3 weeks.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 74,341 times
My kids started there this year. I have one in each school. They all are very happy. Middle school seems to feel the crunch the most.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM

72 posts, read 200,145 times
I teach at the middle school and absolutely love it. The people are friendly, the students are generally well-behaved, and having all the schools together is very convenient and homey. There is a wide socio-economic span, which I love. It gives the school the opportunity for lots of outside resources without being homogeneously upper-crust like some of the surrounding schools. My one complaint is that the schools overall place a very large emphasis on sports (too large in my opinion). But I doubt that's as big of an issue in elementary school.

I haven't had too much contact with PR elementary yet, but the kids I've had who went to school there seem to be very well prepared and have wonderful things to say about it.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM

26 posts, read 62,608 times
Default Figured I'd keep the thread going and update it ;)

My daughter is in the seventh grade. She started at Porter Ridge at the beginning of this month so it wouldn't be fair to say too much on the school! However, I can tell you this much. We are from New York and she had excellent grades back there. She says that the classes are very interesting and that she believes that she learns differently here, mainly that there is no rush. The teachers take the time to see that the kids "get it". Her words, not mine tee hee. She says it is a wonderful school and that she is so glad that we moved (not typical for an average 12 going on 13, my friends are my life child . She went to a great middle school back on Staten Island, but she likes it here much more.

I personally love the layout of the school It is all on one floor and each grade 6th. 7th and 8th all have their own hallway. It is a beautiful school. She definitely has more homework than she ever has, and I am pleased with that She attended a "new student luncheon" and I thought that was a great idea! There are so many activities to choose from, as I see extracurricular activites of great importance! She is in the Drama class and she loves it! She wants to try-out for cheerleading, the drill team (I don't know what that is hahaha) and broadcasting. I thought for sure because we moved here so late in the year, she'd have missed out on all for this year, I was wrong!

Because she maintained an "A" or "B" average the whole 7th grade year, they are going to Carowinds (like great adventure) for the day. There is a lot of positive reinforcement here, as well as stricter rules than my children are used to. But they will adjust, eventually!

The only thing that isn't happening as fast for her is, the friends thing. I mean, my little social butterfly had a lot of friends back in NY. I know that she isn't shy, that's for sure. So I can't really pinpoint why the phone isn't ringing off of the wall! Or maybe that's not how kids socialize here. I'm not sure. Maybe I have to throw a party tee hee ; In due time I suppose, I just wish it were sooner than later!

I have looked into some "teen" things to do in our area. There are some options through the YMCA, and the town of Matthews has "teen scene" every other Friday, we're gonna check that out! She was a girl scout (I was her leader) and it's too late in the year for her to join a troop, unfortunately. I haven't been here long enough to know where is good or bad to let her go unsupervised. I am overprotective and just this year started letting her venture out to the movies or rollerskating. Anyway, this is all for another post!!! As far as this one goes.... we love Porter Ridge middle so far!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or