Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
This sounds eerily similar to the Detroit City council meetings that are all over youtube.

I wish some people would just move to Detroit already...

IMO sounds similar to MOST city council meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think our leaders are acting immaturely. I think they are grandstanding. And they are being disrespectful to one another.
that sounds immature to me...

Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM

239 posts, read 374,785 times
You betta stop making sense... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that sounds immature to me...

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,979,630 times
Quote:
I wish some people would just move to Detroit already...

IMO sounds similar to MOST city council meetings.
I actually moved FROM there, and saw it firsthand. What you see on youtube is a small representation. It is nothing like most city council meetings, you've obviously never seen some of their antics.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think our leaders are acting immaturely. I think they are grandstanding. And they are being disrespectful to one another.

There can be infighting in any group; people are going to necessarily have differences of opinions. However, it is very disconcerting to the public to see that the folks they have elected to carry out the business of making decisions on our behalf have so much animosity in public. They should be working behind the scenes to foster some goodwill and collegiality.

Seems to me that is what Cotham was trying to make happen. Folks should cooperate and at least give the impression that they are interested in working as a team, despite differences, in order to represent the interests of the folks who elected them.
Agreed!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I actually moved FROM there, and saw it firsthand. What you see on youtube is a small representation. It is nothing like most city council meetings, you've obviously never seen some of their antics.
I haven't studied them but I've seen them..

I've also seen Philly's and a few other cities... they do this as well from time to time.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
Quote:
I haven't studied them but I've seen them..

I've also seen Philly's and a few other cities... they do this as well from time to time.
As long as they don't erupt into full-scale brawls, then all is okay!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM

136 posts, read 326,211 times
I saw the clips from the news and I know (first hand) how things can be taken out of context for a media story. I watched the meeting online. It was everything the media said plus some. I understand that sometimes a board will disagree and have conflicts, but the manner in which some of the commissioners were speaking to each other and the interim manager was rude and disrespectful.

As far as the name calling, I believe that a few of them (Dunlap, Leake, and maybe someone else?) were making outrageous statements. Why? Maybe for the justification of their behavior or just to get attention, I not sure. I just know it proves that we are all human and we make mistakes....and it was sad to watch.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,729,556 times
Ahhh good Mom. Here's a link for anyone that wants to watch the whole thing or FF to the good parts:

Watch Meetings

Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,963,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Sometimes you have to blame the constituents in those districts who keep voting the same people back in office who are often divisive rather getting anything done! It just seems we as a whole want divisive politics instead of sensible government!
The districts have been gerrymandered by the parties. The only way things will really shake up is if serious primary challenges emerge.

This did happen in Bill James' district last year where he squeaked to a win over Ed Driggs. Bill seems to have mellowed a little and hasn't been making the bombastic remarks he is known for. Maybe he realizes his district is changing and the voters are watching him.

Leake and Dunlap need real primaries, even if they win anyway, just to spook/shame them into behaving better.

Dumont Clarke has simply been on the board too long, and shows no capacity for ingeniuty. I cringe at agreeing with Leake, but he should stop hanging around. Step aside. Let someone else represent District 4. Oh heck, he needs a primary too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte