U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,855,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I agree with pretty much what everyone said and agree it's north of 51. PHS isn't in Matthews so it is S. Charlotte too. I don't know what I'd consider Palisades but definitely not S. Charlotte. I think it's good to make the distinction because I see dozens of posts along the lines of, "We're moving to South Charlotte from XXXX and we're looking at Marvin, Weddington, Cuthbertson..." and I wonder if they realize the difference.
The person in question was more in Matthews than S. Charlotte. She even called the area Ballantyne as well in another post. (It's past the PHS but almost on Monroe near that I think it's Sardis road?)

It's interesting that's for sure to hear everyone's opinion. (here and elsewhere) It's more or less what I think as well. In my mind I divvy it up by SW Charlotte (steele creek area), S Charlotte (near Pineville) and SE Charlotte(near Matthews).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The person in question was more in Matthews than S. Charlotte. She even called the area Ballantyne as well in another post. (It's past the PHS but almost on Monroe near that I think it's Sardis road?)

It's interesting that's for sure to hear everyone's opinion. (here and elsewhere) It's more or less what I think as well. In my mind I divvy it up by SW Charlotte (steele creek area), S Charlotte (near Pineville) and SE Charlotte(near Matthews).
That is basically how longtime residents see it. If you are in the city limits and pay taxes to the city of Charlotte, then it is just a matter of the compass as to what area of Charlotte you live in. So if you are south of Charlotte, but are in Pineville city limits, then you are not in S. CLT, you are in Pineville. Same for Matthews. You might live south (or southwest, or southeast) of Charlotte, but not in S. Charlotte, lol.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is basically how longtime residents see it. If you are in the city limits and pay taxes to the city of Charlotte, then it is just a matter of the compass as to what area of Charlotte you live in. So if you are south of Charlotte, but are in Pineville city limits, then you are not in S. CLT, you are in Pineville. Same for Matthews. You might live south (or southwest, or southeast) of Charlotte, but not in S. Charlotte, lol.
It gets confusing when I am looking at groups or items to buy and they say S Charlotte! But when I inquire as to where, it's often not what I thought it would be. My favorite posts are Ballantyne and it gets quite heated at the justification why it is. I myself don't care and just say SE charlotte. People try to correct me and say Ballantyne but I consider that area to be around Johnston and down south to the SC/NC border. Not by where I am.

Oh and don't get me started on what's considered Weddington. That was a whole other battle. When I lived there, that was often contentious as well as to what communities should be included.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,695,121 times
Quote:
Well what do you mean more in Matthews? If she's not in Matthews then she's not in Matthews. Most anything west of Matthews (and Monroe Rd) I'd probably consider "South Charlotte." Personally I don't consider much "SE Charlotte" since a lot of the SE portion of Meck is Matthews, so then IMO I'd say everything east of Monroe Rd. that's not Matthews would just be "East Charlotte." But then you could also debate where East Charlotte ends and the University Area begins (which I guess would be considered NE Charlotte but I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to something as NE Charlotte either). Really I think the only time I've heard someone refer directionally to an area that wasn't just North/South/East/West is SW Charlotte, which seems to be almost synonymous with the Steele Creek area.

Quote:
It gets confusing when I am looking at groups or items to buy and they say S Charlotte! But when I inquire as to where, it's often not what I thought it would be. My favorite posts are Ballantyne and it gets quite heated at the justification why it is. I myself don't care and just say SE charlotte. People try to correct me and say Ballantyne but I consider that area to be around Johnston and down south to the SC/NC border. Not by where I am.

Oh and don't get me started on what's considered Weddington. That was a whole other battle. When I lived there, that was often contentious as well as to what communities should be included.
I'm confused a little here, are you saying you would consider Ballantyne as SE Charlotte?

I can see what you're saying about Weddington, but that's probably a little different because of the post office issue. I still think it's funny that Weddington High School has a Matthews address though.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM

520 posts, read 769,836 times
Ballantyne is a person's last name.... Bissell made it famous!

The Ballantyne neighborhood located in South Charlotte is occupying a 2,000-acre area of land adjacent to the South Carolina border. It got its name from land developer Howard C. “Smoky” Bissell’s aunt, Barbara Ballantyne. Because Mr. Bissell anticipated that Charlotte would expand toward the South Carolina border, he planned an office and commercial development accordingly.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM

GoPhils, I call it Ballantyne if it's in what I think is Ballantyne. If it's let's say near Stonecrest, I consider that area on the edge. Further east though toward Matthews on HWY 51 and the area where Tom Short starts on Ballantyne Commons is not what I would consider Ballantyne. I live in this area but have had people correct me and insist it is all Ballantyne.

I just plugged in the address into Google maps and it's telling me Matthews. So it is Matthews. I wasn't sure where the city lines were. When I lived in Weddington area, the post office has had my address with Waxhaw, Weddington and Matthews. It couldn't make up it's mind. I had all three as part of my address on bills etc.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
GoPhils, I call it Ballantyne if it's in what I think is Ballantyne. If it's let's say near Stonecrest, I consider that area on the edge. Further east though toward Matthews on HWY 51 and the area where Tom Short starts on Ballantyne Commons is not what I would consider Ballantyne. I live in this area but have had people correct me and insist it is all Ballantyne.
I was just confused because the boundaries of Ballantyne and the boundaries of South Charlotte are basically two different debates IMO. If I was reading what you wrote correctly, I agree with you that 51 or Tom Short Rd. is not Ballantyne. But I'd still say that both the area you described and Ballantyne (and Myers Park in response to your OP) are all part of South Charlotte. Personally I don't see how anything west of Providence Rd. could be considered "Southeast," which is what it sounds like you are saying.

Although actually, looking at google maps it looks like the area in between Tom Short Rd., Ardrey Kell Rd. and Providence Rd. is unincorporated? Maybe that's not South Charlotte after all...

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
See what you all think about this map. It is from the city. It appears to outline what defines each area of the city.

You will need to scroll down on that page.

http://plancharlotte.org/story/charl...velopment-2012

Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,920,463 times
That's a really interesting article ani. It needs its own thread.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Yeah that is an interesting article. But I pretty much agree with the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or