U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 118,616 times
Unhappy Getting rid of Brown Recluse....HELP!!!!!!

I know there have been several posts already about these awful things.. I need a few answers and couldn't stomach the thought of going to those posts and seeing one of the pics.. So here's my story and question......
Last week I got bit by a brown recluse, it somehow managed to get into the leg of my pants. Bit me what looks to be 4 times, as there are four very distinct wounds on my leg. Went to the doctor's office and brought the spider with me and he confirmed that it was indeed a brown recluse. Of course the very next day called the bug guy who did our pest inspection when we bought the house back in July and had him come over and spray. He sprayed all around the inside of the house (along the floor) and in the closets and also did the same in our unfinished lower level( we are in a tri level). He had to come back a few days later to do arond the outside because it was raining the day he came over. He did not spray our crawl space. Anyway, the spray did nothing for the thousands of earwigs all around the outside of our house and seems to have done nothing for the darned spiders either!!!! Keep finding them in the house. Last night was the last straw, was down in the lower level and happened to look over across the room and what do I see?????? A huge and I do mean HUGE brown recluse!!!! After some looking around, my husband noticed that up in between the ceiling beams and at the top of the foundation (in between the 2x4's) there are tons of little white cottony looking balls. Could these be nests?
How do we effectively get rid of these spiders. Should het bug guy have sprayed in the crawl space? Should we have the enitre house "bombed"?We have kids and animals and I don't want anyone else getting bit. It's bad enough that I can hardly function now.. I'm afraid they are everywhere! Haven't slept since it happened and I'm afraid to touch anything in the house, sit on anything..... in short, I think I now need Prozac!!!!! I could use all the advice anyone has to offer but, please please please... no spider pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 AM

513 posts, read 1,370,340 times
You poor thing!!!! I hope the doctor gave you some antibiotics and told you to go back for a recheck in a couple of weeks!!! Here is some info I found on what to do about an infestation (which, sorry to tell you, is probably what you have). Apparently where there's one, there are more! Good luck. Oh, and by the way, you DEFINITELY need to have your crawl space sprayed. They might be getting in from there!!!

"There are many labeled pesticides for spider control. Some are labeled for homeowner use, while others are labeled only for the licensed, certified pesticide applicator. It would be prudent to enlist the services of a professional pest management company when dealing with an indoor infestation of the brown recluse spider.

Research indicates that recently developed pyrethroids (e.g., cyfluthrin, cypermethrin, etc.) are particularly effective against brown recluse spiders. Wettable powders and microencapsuled "slow-release" formulations of these chemicals provide residual activity and are preferable to using emulsion-type sprays. Insecticide treatments should be applied so that the chemical contacts as many spiders and webs as possible. Residual liquid sprays should be applied to the outside perimeter of the home (including under eaves, patios, and decks; behind window shutters), baseboards, undisturbed corners, and other suspected spider harborages. Residual dusts should be applied to voids and inaccessible areas where spiders may hide. Aerosol flushing agents such as pyrethrins, though ineffective by themselves in providing control, can cause spiders to move about so that they contact treated surfaces."

Last edited by marblmom; 11-02-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks so much for the info and kind words! Doc did give me some antibiotics but, that's it. Didn't say anything about coming back in, guess I will call him... Probably need to anyway as I think I need an anti anxiety medication now!
Just got off the phone with the bug guy and he's going to come back over this afternoon and respray. Going to print everything out that I get and show it to him.

On a lighter note........ To all native NCers....... I know from reading all the posts that some of us former NYers have the tendency to rub you the wrong way.. well for those of us who don't learn to adapt to our new surroundings the solution is quite simple.... show them a brown recluse spider!!!! Minute I saw it, I was ready to call the airline. Gonna tough it out though cause I just love everything (cept the spiders) about NC!!!!!!! Just had to add that little bit of humor!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM

513 posts, read 1,370,340 times
Your doctor should also have given you a tetanus shot. You really should follow up with him/her, to make sure that you don't have any necrotic tissue (not to scare you!!). Here is a link to a website I found with more info on getting rid of them.
brown recluse, Brown Recluse, BROWN RECLUSE, brownrecluse control, Brownrecluse Control, BROWNRECLUSE CONTROL, spider control, Spider Control, SPIDER CONTROL, spiders, Spiders, SPIDERS, black widow, Black Widow, BLACK WIDOW, black widows, Black Widow

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,054,058 times
are you sure it's a brown recluse and not a wolf spider

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM

21,664 posts, read 36,814,288 times
I am wondering the same thing I have been bitten before by a brown recluse and my hand swell 5 times it size and it felt like it was hit with a bat.

I had to get tetnis shot and antibotics and it will scar

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM

395 posts, read 953,496 times
Do wolf spiders bite? I see them several times a year around my doors.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:02 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,129,506 times
They are harmless, and I can see how they could be mistaken for a brown recluse. They are the ones that you see running across grass, leaves, or fields. They're pretty fast too.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

712 posts, read 1,262,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb4ever View Post
On a lighter note........ To all native NCers....... I know from reading all the posts that some of us former NYers have the tendency to rub you the wrong way.. well for those of us who don't learn to adapt to our new surroundings the solution is quite simple.... show them a brown recluse spider!!!! Minute I saw it, I was ready to call the airline. Gonna tough it out though cause I just love everything (cept the spiders) about NC!!!!!!! Just had to add that little bit of humor!
Most people feel this way the first time they see a copperhead too...

Brown recluse don't usually get bigger than a quarter size, and you can tell what they look like because they are usually one color, except for a shape on their bodies where the legs attach that looks like a violin.

Wolf spiders are those big, fast ones, and they usually have a mottled brown color. We had one about the size of a half dollar in our laundry room the day we moved into our new house. *shudder*

Most spiders don't bite unless you trap them somewhere. Just be careful sticking your hands in places that spiders like to hide, I guess!

Hmm...knowing all that doesn't really make me feel any better about spiders though!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
are you sure it's a brown recluse and not a wolf spider
Brought the creepy crawly with me to the doctor and he said yes it is a brown recluse. he was alittle smaller than a dime, brown, and had a huge butt. He was dark brown but, the big butt part was a lighter brown. Didn't get any closer so that's the best I can do to describe it.
When I first went, had no idea what kind it was until he told me. I only knew I had been bitten because I felt the stab in my leg and then it felt like someone set me on fire. When I looked at it, it first looked like I had left the heating pad on my skin too long, about an hour later that enat away and I started to swell. Later that evening, I noticed four round swollen marks on my leg. At first looked like someone had taken a dried out red pen and drew a jagged circle around each.. The centers were completely white. Now it's all red and also a bunch of other colors and sore like no tomorrow.
As for the tetnus shot, he asked me when my last one was and told him it was back in 2001 when I had surgery, so guess I'm still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte