Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 PM

37,813 posts, read 41,589,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
You do realize this metro along with the other big NC metros have tons of transplants. So maybe, you should limit the generalization to the Columbia, SC metro. Personally, if I talk about University of South Carolina, I will either go by SC, Gamecocks, or just South Carolina.
Sure there are tons of transplants, but many of them are from elsewhere in the Carolinas. Living in Charlotte, I was much more likely to run into someone who was originally from Columbia, Charleston, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro than NY or OH, although the latter are there in large numbers also. Furthermore, transplants get used to local references and such, even some that are just NC specific. When I first started working in the area, I remember people would reference Jacksonville without any state attached and I automatically thought they were referring to the FL city but they were actually referring to the NC town. After some time, I adjusted my expectations. I mean what's next, do we all start referring to soft drinks as "pop" to accommodate Northern transplants? If you move somewhere, it's expected that you adjust to the local culture, with includes references to places within the larger region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,243,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
You do realize this metro along with the other big NC metros have tons of transplants. So maybe, you should limit the generalization to the Columbia, SC metro. Personally, if I talk about University of South Carolina, I will either go by SC, Gamecocks, or just South Carolina.
I am originally from southeastern NC (a stones throw from the SC border) and have never used the term USC to refer to Univ of South Carolina. Nobody I know in southeastern NC refers to South Carolina as USC. I know the term "Carolina" can be used interchangeably for either school, but much more dominant for UNC in North Carolina as can be expected.

It is a tough call in Charlotte with so many people migrating from other parts of the US and region (NC, VA, etc) that are totally unfamiliar with the reference to Univ of South Carolina as USC.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sure there are tons of transplants, but many of them are from elsewhere in the Carolinas. Living in Charlotte, I was much more likely to run into someone who was originally from Columbia, Charleston, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro than NY or OH, although the latter are there in large numbers also. Furthermore, transplants get used to local references and such, even some that are just NC specific. When I first started working in the area, I remember people would reference Jacksonville without any state attached and I automatically thought they were referring to the FL city but they were actually referring to the NC town. After some time, I adjusted my expectations. I mean what's next, do we all start referring to soft drinks as "pop" to accommodate Northern transplants? If you move somewhere, it's expected that you adjust to the local culture, with includes references to places within the larger region.
Agree but it is confusing the first time you hear it. The first time I heard someone say USC I thought they were talking about Southern California, but it didn't take long to figure it out. To be honest, I'm not even sure if before I moved here I knew that the title was "University of South Carolina" and not "South Carolina University."

So here's a question, when referring to college football, if we're in Charlotte and someone says "Carolina," which school are they most often referring to?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I am originally from southeastern NC (a stones throw from the SC border) and have never used the term USC to refer to Univ of South Carolina. Nobody I know in southeastern NC refers to South Carolina as USC. I know the term "Carolina" can be used interchangeably for either school, but much more dominant for UNC in North Carolina as can be expected.
Whoa, that was weird, you kinda answered my question a minute before I asked it. If we're talking specifically about football though, I was actually thinking it might be South Carolina because they're actually good. But I guess UNC's basketball popularity probably transcends to football as well.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe Columbia and Charleston but I'd have to lump anyone from the Triad with the Triangle in reference to USC as related to Univ of Southern California. I do think living in the the Columbia metro versus Charlotte would be more impactful. Charlotte is still UNC-centric (and state of NC) so there really isn't as much attention dedicated to the Univ of South Carolina. I don't know, maybe so but just oblivous to it.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Whoa, that was weird, you kinda answered my question a minute before I asked it. If we're talking specifically about football though, I was actually thinking it might be South Carolina because they're actually good. But I guess UNC's basketball popularity probably transcends to football as well.
In Charlotte, Carolina means UNC for the most part. South Carolina hasn't won the BCS champ or even played in the title game, so still hasn't quite arrived in CFB yet. I think they have a shot to win the BCS title this year, plus Clowney will give the school additonal promo.

UNC is a strong national brand..Michael Jordan, etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM

489 posts, read 906,623 times
Quote:
You should've just stopped right there instead of engaging in juvenile banter.
Keep your lecturing for those who care to listen.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 PM

489 posts, read 906,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Unlike the "real" fans of UNCe.....w(h)ine and cheese crowd......who barely can attract 50,000 to watch a game in their stadium. But that's ok....keep paying tutors to take classes for your football players and just maybe they can play another bowl game in Shreveport or Nashville!
Your last statement isn't even accurate of what UNC was accused of...

And USCe has a losing record to UNC football, and by a wide margin...

Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Your last statement isn't even accurate of what UNC was accused of...

And USCe has a losing record to UNC football, and by a wide margin...
But they haven't played in the last 6 years and South Carolina is 4-1 in the last 5 games.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
I don't care if South Carolina and North Colorado win the next 5 championships in football and basketball....neither of these schools will ever be USC or UNC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte