U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM

372 posts, read 562,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Actually, the first two years in Charlotte were sellouts (2010: FSU/Va Tech and 2011: Clemson/ Va Tech). .
That's right. I forgot the 2010 game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Actually, the first two years in Charlotte were sellouts (2010: FSU/Va Tech and 2011: Clemson/ Va Tech). I think if either Miami or UNC been eligible to play versus the de facto 3rd runner up (Ga Tech) the game would've been a sellout.

Given the geographics, recruiting footprint and caliber of NFL Pros produced by the ACC (second only to the SEC in most years)....it's mindboggling the league hasn't had as much success in BCS games and competing for a national championship. With the coaching additions and emphasis on maintaining recruiting turf, I think the pendulum swings back towards the center a bit, but the SEC is still king. Eventually, the talent level will meet expectations (w/coaching) so if there are two 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2 teams, the game should create quite the draw and Charlotte is an ideal location for that. Even if it's Miami/FSU...that's a big draw and national game anywhere.
SEC will always be king because they refuse to travel up north or have any requirements for athletes. The one school that does have requirements (Vandy) isthe worst football school in the SEC.

ACC will always be on the back end until Tech or Clemson gets some coconuts in a bowl game.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
SEC will always be king because they refuse to travel up north or have any requirements for athletes. The one school that does have requirements (Vandy) isthe worst football school in the SEC.

ACC will always be on the back end until Tech or Clemson gets some coconuts in a bowl game.
Vandy's got a good coach and seen some success recently, that honor currently belongs to Kentucky. ACC football goes as the Florida schools go (Miami and FSU)...Clemson, Va Tech, etc are solid contributors but on a whole, that's why FSU and Miami are in the ACC. Truthfully and historically, as Bama goes, SEC football goes. The SEC is king but Bama is the King of the kings, period. Sure, LSU, Florida, etc has seen some success but at the heart of the lion is Bama....that used to be FSU in the old ACC and Miami in the old Big East. Surely, those lions will roar again and being in the same conference is going to magnify their presence.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM

239 posts, read 310,649 times
Quote:
Not so because I actually ATTENDED the A&T/SC state game(s) in BOA (Ericsson stadium at that time) and was told they discontinued the matchup due to a scheduling conflict with the Panthers games.

My apologies...you are absolutely correct. After a little research, I did find that they played at "Erickson Stadium" from '97-2000. Sorry about that. I do think it looks better at Memorial Stadium thought. Sometimes, big huge stadiums can be a bit overshelming for schools that can only fill them halfway, especially the technology and GLAMOUR of NFL stadiums.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM

29,782 posts, read 27,214,589 times
Quote:
Not so because I actually ATTENDED the A&T/SC state game(s) in BOA (Ericsson stadium at that time) and was told they discontinued the matchup due to a scheduling conflict with the Panthers games.
I attended the A&T/SC State game back in '07 or '08 and it was at Memorial Stadium at the time, as well as at least one other year. Memorial Stadium had enough space so I'm not sure why it was moved to BOA Stadium, unless they played there before moving to Memorial.

After Charlotte, they moved the game to Charleston for a year or two before signing on to Atlanta.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I attended the A&T/SC State game back in '07 or '08 and it was at Memorial Stadium at the time, as well as at least one other year. Memorial Stadium had enough space so I'm not sure why it was moved to BOA Stadium, unless they played there before moving to Memorial.

After Charlotte, they moved the game to Charleston for a year or two before signing on to Atlanta.
From what I recall, the first game at Ericsson Stadium (now BOA Stadium) attracted 30+ thousand back in 1997 (now BOA Stadium) and could have grown with more adverstising, etc...became a real QC classic. Downtown Charlotte didn't have the vibe it does today and this was only 15 years ago. This was well before Memorial Stadium...actually, I think the game was played a few times at Memorial Stadium prior to the migration to Ericsson Stadium then back to Memorial Stadium.

The game scheduled in Atlanta is the Atlanta Football Classic. I'm not for certain what the future arrangement is going forward as some of these classics tend to host different teams each year.

Edit: I know the Epicentre receives its fair share of grief but following a Saturday afteroon event like the A&T/SC State game in Ericsson stadium, it would have been ideal..no light rail, etc. I recall it very vividly, there just wasn't many places to go hangout in downtown (uptown) Charlotte on a Saturday afternoon to congregate. Ok, Charlotte isn't NY or Atlanta but comparing now and then is night and day from my perspective.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-20-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM

29,782 posts, read 27,214,589 times
Quote:
From what I recall, the first game at Ericsson Stadium (now BOA Stadium) attracted 30+ thousand back in 1997 (now BOA Stadium) and could have grown with more adverstising, etc...became a real QC classic. Downtown Charlotte didn't have the vibe it does today and this was only 15 years ago. This was well before Memorial Stadium...actually, I think the game was played a few times at Memorial Stadium prior to the migration to Ericsson Stadium then back to Memorial Stadium.

The game scheduled in Atlanta is the Atlanta Football Classic. I'm not for certain what the future arrangement is going forward as some of these classics tend to host different teams each year.

Edit: I know the Epicentre receives its fair share of grief but following a Saturday afteroon event like the A&T/SC State game in Ericsson stadium, it would have been ideal..no light rail, etc. I recall it very vividly, there just wasn't many places to go hangout in downtown (uptown) Charlotte on a Saturday afternoon to congregate. Ok, Charlotte isn't NY or Atlanta but comparing now and then is night and day from my perspective.
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the info. I agree that a game like that at BOA Stadium now would provide a MUCH better experience.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM

239 posts, read 310,649 times
Quote:

What about NCAT vs NCCU (Looks like they played in Charlotte in 2008 to a good turn out).
or...
NCCU vs SCSU (I think that would be a very very nice matchup)

Honestly, Charlotte has waaaaay too many African Americans to NOT have a nice HBCU classic here.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
What about NCAT vs NCCU (Looks like they played in Charlotte in 2008 to a good turn out).
or...
NCCU vs SCSU (I think that would be a very very nice matchup)

Honestly, Charlotte has waaaaay too many African Americans to NOT have a nice HBCU classic here.
Not only that, but home to many alumni from the larger HBCUs in the region. I know they've tried over the years but nothing seems to have worked to create a huge HBCU classic simliar to other cities. Again, it's an ideal location for the NC A&T/SCSU game or NCCU/SCSU game. I usually cross paths with the ADs from a few of those schools, I'll ask why Charlotte (BOA stadium) hasn't been considered for more of these type of games.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Vandy's got a good coach and seen some success recently, that honor currently belongs to Kentucky. ACC football goes as the Florida schools go (Miami and FSU)...Clemson, Va Tech, etc are solid contributors but on a whole, that's why FSU and Miami are in the ACC. Truthfully and historically, as Bama goes, SEC football goes. The SEC is king but Bama is the King of the kings, period. Sure, LSU, Florida, etc has seen some success but at the heart of the lion is Bama....that used to be FSU in the old ACC and Miami in the old Big East. Surely, those lions will roar again and being in the same conference is going to magnify their presence.
I say Clemson and VTech because they travel well and actually compete...

Alabama is on top right now but LSU and Florida had no problem holding the crown when Bama was down.

FSU is nothing without Bobby and The U will never return to glory... those days are over and unless these other schools can pick up the slack the ACC will continue to suffer until Louisville comes in 2014. They have a Florida HC who has a pipeline that beat the breaks off of the Gators in a bowl game last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte