U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
You have TOTALLY missed the point. smh. Im not saying "hop on anyone else's bandwagon". What I am saying is....SINCE your favorite team (due to personal and emotional ties) is not all that good, how would you know what the heck a GREAT time is? Cause ALL you know is PITT!

Its like, sweep around your front door before you try to sweep around others.
I had this thing called a TV back in the 80's and 90's and it would show games with other teams on it from time to time. They would even show bowl games and the national championship every year.

LOL... you sound clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I never said FSU didn't have NFL talent... They run a fine program but I don't see them returning to FSU glory anytime soon.

Yawn... they aren't any closer than they were 5 years ago. They are still a 4 to 6 loss team next year.

WVU was a crappy team last year. Probably helped FSU strength of schedule by not playing them.
Sports is cyclical, I think the U returns something like 19 starters from last years team? The media overhypes conference affiliation and thus the perception becomes reality. It's always been about coaching, coaches that can recruit and work the X's and O's will win anywhere. The SEC is loaded with some great coaches, this wasn't the case 10-15 years ago. Teams like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy were extremely inconsistent...some still are. Until Spurrier arrived at Florida (who also won the ACC champ at Duke), the school was kinda off/on. LSU hadn't really been a consistent power until Saban arrived. Auburn had some solid years here and there. Tennessee was kind of consistent, had the good years with Fulmer..then fell off the map.

If Golden is as good as advertised, Miami will not have any problem reaching the top-10 soon...Other than Bama, the U has as much or more traditon than any other team in the SEC...definitely more NFL players. IMO, the Miami/Univ. of FL game this year will be a good indicator of which team has the right coach and going in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 310,327 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I had this thing called a TV back in the 80's and 90's and it would show games with other teams on it from time to time. They would even show bowl games and the national championship every year.

LOL... you sound clueless.

Let me make it more plain for you. You have NO CREDIBILITY to talk badly about other teams, when you are rep'n Pitt Panthers....especially when ALL of the teams you chastised are LIGHT YEARS better than YOUR favorite team.

I'm not saying you really dont know what a GREAT team is, but it really doesnt make any sense to TALK BAD about a STORIED LEGENDARY FOOTBALL PROGRAM, especially when Pitt is 20-50 years from being on the same level as FSU.

Its like Brittney Spears telling Michael Jackson that he cant sing. smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Sports is cyclical, I think the U returns something like 19 starters from last years team? The media overhypes conference affiliation and thus the perception becomes reality. It's always been about coaching, coaches that can recruit and work the X's and O's will win anywhere. The SEC is loaded with some great coaches, this wasn't the case 10-15 years ago. Teams like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy were extremely inconsistent...some still are. Until Spurrier arrived at Florida (who also won the ACC champ at Duke), the school was kinda off/on. LSU hadn't really been a consistent power until Saban arrived. Auburn had some solid years here and there. Tennessee was kind of consistent, had the good years with Fulmer..then fell off the map.

If Golden is as good as advertised, Miami will not have any problem reaching the top-10 soon...Other than Bama, the U has as much or more traditon than any other team in the SEC...definitely more NFL players. IMO, the Miami/Univ. of FL game this year will be a good indicator of which team has the right coach and going in the right direction.

IMO success doesn't equal tradition...

Miami has the W's and the highlights for 15 to 20 years.. that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Let me make it more plain for you. You have NO CREDIBILITY to talk badly about other teams, when you are rep'n Pitt Panthers....especially when ALL of the teams you chastised are LIGHT YEARS better than YOUR favorite team.

I'm not saying you really dont know what a GREAT team is, but it really doesnt make any sense to TALK BAD about a STORIED LEGENDARY FOOTBALL PROGRAM, especially when Pitt is 20-50 years from being on the same level as FSU.

Its like Brittney Spears telling Michael Jackson that he cant sing. smh
LOL... how old are you?

Are you seriously suggesting one has to be a fan of a great team in order to critique or talk bad about a football program? PITT is a private institution.. if they were public they would probably fair a little better in football but they still get a few NFL gems from time to time. Revis, McShady, Larry Fitz...

I never talked bad about FSU's tradition so try again buddy....

I said they won't get back to where they were with Bobby Bowden. Last year was their best shot at a title run and they blew it. I doubt they will improve with a new QB, new OC and a new defensive line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
IMO success doesn't equal tradition...

Miami has the W's and the highlights for 15 to 20 years.. that's it.
What? They won 5 national championships in the last 30 years (80s, 90s and 2000s). Please explain to me what other program has accomplished that?..when EVERYBODY could compete. They're relatively a small private school and might not have the rabid fanbase of some of the other "elite" programs but the U is a highlight reel of tradition and success...from the many coaches to players. You can't be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
What? They won 5 national championships in the last 30 years (80s, 90s and 2000s). Please explain to me what other program has accomplished that?..when EVERYBODY could compete. They're relatively a small private school and might not have the rabid fanbase of some of the other "elite" programs but the U is a highlight reel of tradition and success...from the many coaches to players. You can't be serious.
Im dead serious... I never said Miami didnt have 5 titles or the best run over the last 20 years.

Tradition isnt the same thing as success... Miami dominated from 83 to 2001 but tradition? Ehhh... when I hear tradition I think of teams who have 50, 75 years of football with some history behind it.

Those SEC teams you mentioned dont have the success Miami had in the short term but they have more tradition that Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Im dead serious... I never said Miami didnt have 5 titles or the best run over the last 20 years.

Tradition isnt the same thing as success... Miami dominated from 83 to 2001 but tradition? Ehhh... when I hear tradition I think of teams who have 50, 75 years of football with some history behind it.

Those SEC teams you mentioned dont have the success Miami had in the short term but they have more tradition that Miami.
Which teams? Alabama? So now you're counting all those wins from 50-75 years ago when EVERYBODY couldn't compete?

Miami has more tradition than those SEC schools have in 50 years. I guess you have to play for an iron skillet or moosehead trophy to have tradition.

Other than Bama, I'm a little confused about all those other SEC schools that were winning in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s (when everybody could play)...1 win here or there ain't tradition...that's a CAM year! 5 titles in a 20 year span (Miami), that's not only tradition but intimidation and dominance.

Then again, maybe you have a point, it was more intimidation, swagger and dominance....you can keep tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Which teams? Alabama? So now you're counting all those wins from 50-75 years ago when EVERYBODY couldn't compete?

Miami has more tradition than those SEC schools have in 50 years. I guess you have to play for an iron skillet or moosehead trophy to have tradition.

Other than Bama, I'm a little confused about all those other SEC schools that were winning in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s (when everybody could play)...1 win here or there ain't tradition...that's a CAM year! 5 titles in a 20 year span (Miami), that's not only tradition but intimidation and dominance.

Then again, maybe you have a point, it was more intimidation, swagger and dominance....you can keep tradition.
now this I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
 
3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
now this I agree with.
Ok, but I really do miss the U playing at a high level...it was like watching the old Gtown Hoyas with that suffocating pressure defense. Teams hated to see the Hoyas. For CBB comparison I guess Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas have tradition but teams like Gtown didn't reach prominence until the late 70s/early 80s only have success? I guess it's debatable because a lot of those Big East CBB teams like UConn seem to have tradition which didn't happen till the last 30 years.

Again, Miami is returning a slew of talent coupled with a decent recruiting class. If they beat the Gators, watch out for a strong run at the BCS this year.....lol, if they are eligible, what a crazy saga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top