Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM

33 posts, read 59,377 times

Advertisements

I did a search. Info is spread out and there really is nothing specific. Figured I would sign up and start my own thread.

There is a STRONG possibility that I will be relocating my family to the Charlotte area. The only thing that would prevent me from accepting the offer is if I can find schooling for my 3.5yr old that matches what we have here.....and I am VERY adamant about this.

So, I will give a brief overview, then list what we are looking for.

I have two daughters, 2 month old and a 3.5yr old. 3.5yr old has high functioning autism. She has a diagnosis from a neurologist for this. She was evaluated by our school district, and because she qualified in all 5 categories, they are paying for a BIG portion of her services at a place called United Services. She gets therapy (IBIC, is that what it is called?...with IEP?) 4 days a week and one day of just normal daycare. The school district contracts out to a place here in St. Louis called United Services. INCREDIBLE place. In two months already she is talking and behavior has seen a great improvement.
I have my reservations about pulling her out of this school, and this school district because Orchard Farms here in St. Charles (suburb of STL) is an incredible school district.

If I cant find anything like this, I will decline the offer (which I feel very strongly I will get at the pace this process is moving).

With that in mind, we currently live in a new subdivision. We would like to mimic that. We would be renting I am sure there is no way around that. So we are looking for a clean, "safe", well maintained neighborhood.

Not looking for the private schools, some of them I looked at had tuition of like 20K+ a year. I am not rich

I saw in some threads mentions of Union County being nice? Any specific neighborhoods?
Any other areas?

Anyone with special needs want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,911,551 times
Check out western Cabarrus County in Concord. There are a few subdivisions around and all are family friendly. Check out Highland Creek (Cabarrus County side) Skybrook, Winding Walk, Moss Creek and Cannon Crossing. Also, if you decide to move into this area you can join CentralPiedmontMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community and there are members with kids that have autism that you could chat with (that's just one area of the board).

Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 AM

527 posts, read 914,659 times
Make sure you PM/DM to the members with experience

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-children.html

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 AM

527 posts, read 914,659 times
And.. Good luck...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:06 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,355,740 times
If you have something amazing like that for your child, you should not move. There are programs here but you have to fight for them. They don't sound like they'd even measure up to the level of care your lucky enough to have at your disposal. This is just my opinion but from one SN parent to another, if you have something really good for her where you are I wouldn't be willing to chance not finding that here.
If you have the money, patience, and drive to afford Therapy, to ensure your child gets the help and accommodations she needs in school throughout her schooling years, the patience to find the right doctor or group of them then Union County is definitely a phenomenal place to live for families. I love it here and moved from FL 3 years ago. The schools are great but they will give you the minimal she needs and you'll be fighting them for that, especially high functioning.
I am always here raving about UC (we live in Waxhaw) but in your situation it is sometimes best not to stir the pot. IMO at least.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 39,053 times
Lardo5150, please dm me. I moved to Charlotte from Pittsburgh last year with a 12 year old daughter with autism. We live in Union County. Bottom line, you will get ZERO services paid by any agency. Everything is self-pay. How you get paid services is by getting your name on "the registry". The waiting list is 5 years on the registry to get what is called "the waiver". The waiver gets you services. NC does not give medicaid cards to children with autism. It's a whole different ball game down here than it was in Pittsburgh. I am so grateful that my daughter received great services from the time she was 2 1/2-12 in Pittsburgh. You are right about the private schools, $20k+. I don't want to discourage you, but this is where it's at.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 PM

55 posts, read 160,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilshorty4lyfe View Post
if you have something amazing like that for your child, you should not move. There are programs here but you have to fight for them. They don't sound like they'd even measure up to the level of care your lucky enough to have at your disposal. This is just my opinion but from one sn parent to another, if you have something really good for her where you are i wouldn't be willing to chance not finding that here.
If you have the money, patience, and drive to afford therapy, to ensure your child gets the help and accommodations she needs in school throughout her schooling years, the patience to find the right doctor or group of them then union county is definitely a phenomenal place to live for families. I love it here and moved from fl 3 years ago. The schools are great but they will give you the minimal she needs and you'll be fighting them for that, especially high functioning.
I am always here raving about uc (we live in waxhaw) but in your situation it is sometimes best not to stir the pot. Imo at least.

ditto. Exact same situation. To qualify for special services you have to pretty much be non-verbal. Don't do it. They will tell you to go to private therapy, and even there you won't find what you need. There just isn't anything here and won't be for a long time.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 PM

41 posts, read 85,012 times
This is disconcerting. We are moving to UC from OH. I have twin sons turning 13 this summer. One with PDDNOS dx one without but both have IEP for speech and language pattern delays. Both receive minimal supports but really GOOD supports. One is more Aspie they other mildly delayed. One has an adjusted math curriculum with small class size the other with small study center size. Both get wonderful social skills interventions. Is there anything like this that would compare in the UC school district? We would be slated for the Cuthbertson area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte