Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
Just what NASCAR needs...another race on a 1.5 mile tri-oval.
The net is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
The city can re-name Bruton Smith Blvd to B.S. Blvd.
LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Las Vegas paper is predicting next year the move will occur since this year schedule is already made.
Speedway owner says Las Vegas may get a second NASCAR race | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
but, but, but.... he is a hero. LOL...

He wants tax money...
My thoughts exactly.

This illustrates the conundrum of speaking in absolutes.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Bruton is out for Bruton, which is typical -- he is a businessman. No loyalty when it comes to his own coffers.

Take whatever race you want to wherever you want, Mr. Smith.

The man is little better than an extortionist, IMHO. Anyone who doesn't recognize what he is all about hasn't been paying attention, lol. Bruton is doing what Bruton always does . . . maximizing his return.

Any municipality that ties so much of its identity, revenue, and future development to any one business concern is making a big mistake.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Corporate welfare at its best.
Who can blame him, since Jerry Richardson got his...next will be MJ...etc., will never end.
Jerry didn't get his... he got some if his and at least he has the #1 sport in America. Not sure what MJ needs besides the #1 draft pick and the name change.

Bruton is in a bad spot IMO. Nascar is on the decline... if you can't fill a stadium for an All Star Race best believe it's in his best interest to move a race to a city where it could possibly get new life.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM

83 posts, read 184,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The net is the same.
I realized that a few minutes after I posted. But still, if Charlotte is going to lose a race, I'd prefer it go somewhere else.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Bruton is in a bad spot IMO. Nascar is on the decline... if you can't fill a stadium for an All Star Race best believe it's in his best interest to move a race to a city where it could possibly get new life.
He's given up on trying to fill the stadium. The big American flag draped across the Turn 2 seats is a big "no one wants to sit here" sign.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
He's given up on trying to fill the stadium. The big American flag draped across the Turn 2 seats is a big "no one wants to sit here" sign.
Yeah.. Not sure if NASCAR will ever get those insane crowds again. Too many gimmicks and the Danica Patrick experiment is a failure.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
NASCAR needs to stop letting these fools treat their dates like trading cards...NASCAR should pull his 2nd race and move it back to The Rock - embrace your roots - NASCAR has lost something gradually over the last several years
Gradually??? They lost the luster really quick as soon as they went to the Chase format. Between that and basically all driving the same cars underneath a fake shell has done it in. I used to be a huge NASCAR fan and moving down here made me even more excited, but frankly the last 2 years I have totally lost interest. I am sick of all the rules, sick of Jimmie Johnson, and sick of the Chase. I was excited about the possibility of going to a race finally, and now I don't even care. I watch one now and then on TV, but if I miss it then eh, who cares. And before I would never miss a race.

Quote:
Yeah.. Not sure if NASCAR will ever get those insane crowds again. Too many gimmicks and the Danica Patrick experiment is a failure.
Thank you!! Also VERY sick of Danica! Mediocre, at best, driver and gets all the attention just because. Hubby laughs and calls me "not one with the sisterhood". Hey, give me a GOOD female driver and I'm there. Until then she sickens me. And even make me dislike Jr. and Tony even more for actually giving into money and media hype.

IMHO, nobody but NASCAR should decide on where and when for races. But Brian France is too wimpy to stand up against them. Too worried about his divorce becoming public.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM

109 posts, read 200,255 times
Let Mr. B.S. go and take his business elsewhere. The area could be converted (not easily but doable) into a sports complex for Major League Soccer or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte