Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 PM

59 posts, read 174,002 times

Advertisements

Does the Charlotte area have any other American buffets you would recommend besides Golden Corral? I ate at the Golden Corral on S. Blvd and was not impressed. I've also eaten at Ryan's in SC and didn't care for that either. Are the other Golden Corrals in Charlotte better? I ate at one in Orlando and that was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
Does the Charlotte area have any other American buffets you would recommend besides Golden Corral? I ate at the Golden Corral on S. Blvd and was not impressed. I've also eaten at Ryan's in SC and didn't care for that either. Are the other Golden Corrals in Charlotte better? I ate at one in Orlando and that was good.
The only thing good about a Golden Corral is playing the "find the sanitation grade" game. This chain started pretty close to where I grew up and being a military town (both where I grew up and where they grew up) we would always be impressed when a new place opened but knew they'd lower the standards when they found out they didn't have to try so hard for us. That seemed to be the philosophy of Golden Corral as they expanded out of those towns. Though, when I was growing up, long before the buffets, you could get a side salad and a bowl of chowder for $5.

I did like the rolls at Ryan's though and was sad when the Tyvola location closed.

I know it isn't what you're looking for but if I wanted a bar I'd stick with salad at Sonny's though I usually skip that too and just go for the chicken.

If you try other locations of where you've been your expectations will be met as long as they stay low like they are now.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM

109 posts, read 200,192 times
Not that I tried it (and thus can't speak of it) but there is another Golden Corral in U-city

Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,414 times
These aren't in Charlotte, but just a short drive to Monroe -

Quincy's Steakhouse - My dad wanted to go here for his birthday. I was skeptical - I hadn't been to a Quincy's in many years - but it was overall decent. Nice variety of veggies, the fried chicken was excellent. I was expecting a deep-fried extravaganza, but they had a lot of steamed veggies, and a good selection for the salad bar. Plus, banana (aka nanner) pudding for dessert, so points for that!

Hilltop Diner - Another place my dad swears by. I went once, a few years ago, and remember mostly fried food, but it was very good.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 AM

328 posts, read 616,164 times
Pike's off of South Blvd. has a fantastic brunch buffet on Sundays - great mix of southern food / American food. Considering how high the quality of the food is, it isn't that expensive!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
I'm reminded of a childhood going to Ponderosa for a dinner Buffet on the weekend. Shame they went out of business.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I'm reminded of a childhood going to Ponderosa for a dinner Buffet on the weekend. Shame they went out of business.
If you want to make the drive they are still in W. PA and E. Ohio

Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
It's not buffet per se, but I did love the K&W Cafeteria growing up. Do they even have those anymore? Gosh it's been years and years since I thought of that place.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
There are two in Charlotte but I have only been to the one in Statesville (once - to meet family) since moving back here in 2002.

Locations | K&W Cafeterias

Evidently, they cater and also do "to go" family meals, something I was not aware of.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
If you want to make the drive they are still in W. PA and E. Ohio
There's an excellent place on I-85 on the way to Greensboro that has a killer buffet. That's a shorter drive. I don't remember the name but it's pretty classic. It had multiple varieties of gravy and they bring you two teas at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte