Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM

97 posts, read 183,021 times

Advertisements

Relocating to NC very soon. After much research, I am favoring Huntersville, Concord or Salisbury. Couple in late 40's looking for nice friendly but quiet neighborhood, low crime, employment info. Thank you. Those that live in the area, what is your opinion? Employment in healthcare and construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
Relocating to NC very soon. After much research, I am favoring Huntersville, Concord or Salisbury. Couple in late 40's looking for nice friendly but quiet neighborhood, low crime, employment info. Thank you. Those that live in the area, what is your opinion? Employment in healthcare and construction.

Those are three good towns,to consider. How much are you willing to spend and you have some luck in those two type of professions.
How much are you to willing to spend?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM

328 posts, read 616,204 times
My two cents, for whatever it might be worth: I lived in Concord for short time, but it was long enough to know that its a lovely community that likely has what you're looking for. Crime is low and there is a lot of geographic diversity - the area around the CLT border is heavily developed, but there are suburban communities and rural swaths as you move toward the northern/eastern part of the city. What sets Concord apart, however, is its fantastic historic downtown (not to be confused with the Concord Mills "downtown" area, which is good for more big box shopping and chain restaurants). Although nearly all towns in NC boast historic downtown charm, Concord has really worked to establish and support a small local economy on Union Street; these days, you'll find locally owned shops, restaurants, a thriving theater and gallery scene, and regular festivals / Art Walks / public performances. Coming from someone who moved to the area, I felt welcomed by everyone and was absolutely charmed by the quality of life there. Just wanted to share my perspective! Best of luck on your move to the Piedmont.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
I live in Concord but it's right on the Cabarrus/Meck County Line. Our neighborhood was annexed into Concord about a month before we closed on our house. Otherwise we would have had a Huntersville address. I love the area we live in it's close to alot and not far from other things. We have a grocery, mall, restaurants and parks real close and downtown Charlotte is 20-25 minutes away. There's also CMC-NE which is 8 miles up the road or there are doctor offices galore around depending what you do in healthcare. They are building apartments, houses all over our area as well.

I also lived in Huntersville for about a year. I loved that area too. It was off of I77 at exit 23. I was close to grocery, restaurants, mall, hospital and the lake. I liked it as I was living the single life and it had everything I needed at that time close by.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,122 times
I live in the Southwest Corner of Concord off Union St (Sedgefield / Brittany Woods neighborhood). It is a nice quiet area with streets you can walk on and low traffic. A 30 min walk to downtown and about 10-15 min on bicycle. You can walk to Myers Park if you want to.

My wife works at the hospital and it takes her about 10 min to get to the hospital. Fills her gas tank up about once a month. I would suggest anything east of Union St is pretty nice. The Beverly Hills Neighborhood and the developments of Burrage Rd are nice if looking for some place really close to the hospital.

All the developments surrounding Concord are all really new and nice to but a little sterile for my liking. Seems like they rip out all of the trees first and then build the houses. Most neighborhoods in older parts of Concord still have trees.

I don't know much about Huntersville but think it is along the lines of the development stuff in Concord too. I've heard people like to live there. Sister in law is thinking of moving there from Mooresville.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Huntersville or Concord or Salisbury

Thank you all for your input. The area seems very highly rated for what I am looking for and very charming and beautiful. I am excited to get there and get settled in. I am a new grad Certified Medical Assistant so I am hoping it won't be too difficult to find a job and great for the hubby with all the construction happening. I will be renting initially until I have a chance to check the area out more before buying. I truly appreciate the responses and look forward to more to come. Thank you all for being so welcoming.....I feel comfortable living there already. I was born and raised in NY but have lived in MO the past year. I have traveled through Charlotte many times while traveling throughout different areas of the South but have never actually visited and stayed for any length of time. If there is any other info you would like to pass along or feel I should know before moving to NC, feel free to post.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 PM

328 posts, read 616,204 times
Sounds like you're in the right place (and have the right attitude) for a move to the CLT region. I wish you a lot of luck. I fell in love with this area almost instantly and I'm certain you'll see why. By way of suggestions, I'd check out Union Street and the Old Courthouse / Cabarrus Arts Council (Concord), take a public art tour and visit East Blvd (Charlotte), visit the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens (Belmont), and take a walk along the new greenway in Uptown. That's just off the top of my head! I'm sure others will have great suggestions as well - especially if you're considering taking a trip or two before actually moving.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Thank you all for your replies. We are planning on coming next week! Do any of you have knowledge of reputable construction companies that are hiring? I can do just about any job in retail, office, food service, etc. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by scmover; 07-02-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,198 times
Concord is my vote. I live here and when I move I will stay here in Concord. Affordable, Nice, Friendly.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
Thank you all for your replies. We are planning on coming next week! Do any of you have knowledge of reputable construction companies that are hiring? I can do just about any job in retail, office, food service, etc. Thank you all in advance.
I don't know the names of any construction companies, sorry... but if you are skilled in construction and are looking for work, this article should be very encouraging!

Homebuilders grapple with worker shortage | CharlotteObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte