U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM

381 posts, read 412,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
UNC-Charlotte has a much better engineering program than UNC-CH, which doesn't have one. Hard to say it is a laughing stock unless engineering is cake now. To market themselves, they should ditch the UNC-C name, which makes it sound like typical branch college, which it isn't, and come up with something original, somebody's last name like Vanderbilt or Clemson.
That is a great idea. Honestly, when I moved to Charlotte I thought it was a Community College. I doubt they will change it though because someone wants to keep the "UNC CH" connection. In Comparison, NY State has SUNY as part of the State system but the colleges have their own name. I you went to SUNY Geneseo, you put on your resume Geneseo State University and add (SUNY) if you want. If you went to Binghamton you for sure do not put SUNY Binghamton, its Binghamton University (rather prestigious).

In this case University of North Carolina at Charlotte just doesn't have a ring to it. Its like the red headed step child of UNC which everyone knows is Chapel Hill. I went to UNC...You really can't run around and say I went to UNC haha, oh really isn't that where Jordan went, no I went to the Charlotte campus...oh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 AM

44,940 posts, read 17,878,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post

In this case University of North Carolina at Charlotte just doesn't have a ring to it. Its like the red headed step child of UNC which everyone knows is Chapel Hill. I went to UNC...You really can't run around and say I went to UNC haha, oh really isn't that where Jordan went, no I went to the Charlotte campus...oh!
If I heard this from someone I'd say they need to grow up. It's juvenile fanboyism.

I've known and worked with many graduates from UNCC. Not one time have I ever heard of an attempt to misrepresent their degree as something tied to Chapel Hill. In fact, where one went to school quickly becomes irrelevant after they take their first job with the degree. Professionals have real issues to deal with.

You seem to have more than a passing interest in UNCC. I suggest that you go attend some course there, instead of continuing to try and demean the school.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:03 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
UNC-Charlotte has a much better engineering program than UNC-CH, which doesn't have one. Hard to say it is a laughing stock unless engineering is cake now. To market themselves, they should ditch the UNC-C name, which makes it sound like typical branch college, which it isn't, and come up with something original, somebody's last name like Vanderbilt or Clemson.
Since when did Chapel Hill have an engineering program?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

570 posts, read 543,955 times
Quote:
Bonnie Cone University? Although she's probably turning over in her grave about the football team.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 PM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Quote:
That is a great idea. Honestly, when I moved to Charlotte I thought it was a Community College. I doubt they will change it though because someone wants to keep the "UNC CH" connection. In Comparison, NY State has SUNY as part of the State system but the colleges have their own name. I you went to SUNY Geneseo, you put on your resume Geneseo State University and add (SUNY) if you want. If you went to Binghamton you for sure do not put SUNY Binghamton, its Binghamton University (rather prestigious).

But again, don't you think having a D-I football team will help people realize that it's not a community college?

The name thing is an interesting idea, I think the community college perception is partly just because Charlotte starts with a C so you have "CC" in there which at first glance many will think means community college. But even if they changed the name it would take some time to gain recognition. Plus there are probably many people out there that don't even know what state schools like Vanderbilt, Clemson (even though Clemson is a town too) or Rutgers are in so that might not even help UNCC gain recognition.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,126,411 times
Quote:

Why would anyone think it is a community college since it is a University, hence it's name of University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

To say that is just dumb.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM

86 posts, read 90,415 times
Yeah whoever said Western is a bad school does not know what they are talking about. I went there and graduated with a Criminal Justice degree and have a great job. I had a blast there and made great friendships. The poster who said that prob just could not get in and is mad at the school for that. They need to visit the "whee" before they say Western is a bad school.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 PM

199 posts, read 205,387 times
There is nothing wrong with Charlotte, it's a good school. There are plenty of UNCC grads in the Charlotte metro area and throughout North Carolina. I know a UNCC grad who is doing quite well for himself.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,860,106 times
Quote:

You're reaching pretty hard here to try and discredit the school. The UNC system chose to name several of their schools UNC-"City Name". That's just the way it is. I doubt it's to try and confuse employers into thinking they're all UNC Chapel Hill. So are all of the schools "red headed step children" of Chapel Hill? Also I've never heard of a UNCC graduate trying to pretend he/she went to Chapel Hill. Please show me evidence to the contrary. This is NC not NY. Things are done differently here and not for the foolish reasons you claim. If someone went to UNC Charlotte then they put "University of North Carolina at Charlotte" on their resume, not Chapel Hill. No confusion there unless reading English is challenging to the potential employer.

In California they have UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, UCLA, etc. Is that done to confuse employers as well? Or are any of those schools the red headed step child of the other?

Don't know where the confusion lies with you about the "college where Jordan went" either. UNC Chapel Hill is commonly referred to as "Carolina" while UNC Charlotte is known as "Charlotte". Everyone knows which is which. Perhaps you should do more research before posting such silliness again.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,558,499 times
Quote:

With the scandal going on at UNC Chapel Hill for the no show degrees and free and easy classes, I would be more concerned about what employers think of anyone who went there.

Glass house much?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte