U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 AM

527 posts, read 637,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther View Post
Everything he said was accurate.
Everything he said was accurately his opinion

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 AM

343 posts, read 488,156 times
In 2008, the average GPA at UNC-ch was 3.2, with 82% grades being A's or B's. Yep, no grade inflation happening there.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM

305 posts, read 387,289 times
I am 25, and I graduated from UNCC 2 years ago with an Accounting degree and a pretty low GPA (like 2.89). In my last year of college I got a basic bookkeeping job at a small apparel company in Monroe making around $35K a year. After I graduated, I started applying for better jobs in Charlotte, NC and in New Jersey (where I am originally from.)

I got a lot of interviews in NJ but I couldn't go to most of them for travel reasons. I think UNC Charlotte has a better reputation out of state because they assume it is just apart of the Chapel Hill system. I tell them I went to UNC Charlotte, and they would say; 'Oh, so you are a Tarheel?' Um, yeah, sure.

In Charlotte I had a few interviews at Duke Energy, Belk Corporate, and Time Warner Cable Corporate for Financial Analyst, Tax Accounting, and Staff Accountant positions. I got a job as an Accountant for Time Warner Cable in April making $50K a year where I currently work. I am waiting on finding out if the pending Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger will result in lay offs... if that is the case I am going to start applying to Duke Energy again and with the experience of my last two jobs I am sure I can find something if this does happen.

A degree at UNCC isn't an amazing thing, or a bad thing. As long as you have a good resume and can master your interview, a degree from UNCC will be more than enough to get your foot in the door. Once you start working and gain experience, where you went to college will be more irrelevant.

The interview is the most important part, and having quite a few of them really helped me. The first couple interviews I had, while at the time I thought went well, looking back, really didn't. As a young 23 year old fresh out of college, sitting in a desk at the top of a skyscraper building in a meeting room with 3 other people can be intimidating.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 AM

102 posts, read 83,033 times
I currently attend UNCC. We joke that UNCC stands for Under New Construction Constantly, because it is rapidly growing. For a number of years it was easier (but not "easy") to get in. The school is trying to gain students, we're currently at 26,000 give or take. The standards are getting higher though, I felt some heat on my collar when I failed a class last semester, they do have strict academic standards like most schools. As a lot of people are saying on here, the school is fairly young, founded in 1946 as a GI bill school after the war it officially became a permanent school in 1949, hence our team name, the 49ers, however, the school did not move to it's current location until the mid 1960's, no as far as campuses go, it's not that established with very old buildings, though many of the newer construction and renovations are pretty impressive. Because Charlotte is a big city and the school arguably in the suburbs or at least very close to them, a lot of people leave on the weekends to go Uptown, hence the "boring" aspect, but as I've said before, things are boring for boring people. If you're someone who can make your own fun then you're all set. As far as getting a job out of school, unless you're a lawyer or rocket scientist most companies will look at your achievements rather than whether you went to Harvard or Yale. Considering your major (it's pretty specific) you should be fine. I know than many companies invest in the school, especially in the Engineering and Motorsports department (of which I am not a part of, lol) Siemens and Duke Energy invest heavily in the school, they recently constructed the EPIC building which stands for the Energy Producers Infrastructure Center, but as the name suggest, it is a pretty "epic" building. The school has also constructed an 11 story "vertical campus" uptown for business and architecture students who also attend CPCC or just work and live in that area. To sum it all up (if you've decided to read the whole thing, and considering it's been a while since you made this post) UNCC is not an unliked school, it's just an underrated school.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
I got a lot of interviews in NJ but I couldn't go to most of them for travel reasons. I think UNC Charlotte has a better reputation out of state because they assume it is just apart of the Chapel Hill system. I tell them I went to UNC Charlotte, and they would say; 'Oh, so you are a Tarheel?' Um, yeah, sure.
Technically it is all one system. Though the colleges have a degree of separation from each other.

UNCC is beefing up. It's a pretty respectable university now. I just wish it were in a more urban location instead of 25 miles outside the city center. Even if it's a logistical pain I would still be up for moving it.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:27 PM

67 posts, read 96,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
25 miles outside the city center. Even if it's a logistical pain I would still be up for moving it.
25miles is a bit of an exaggeration. A major university needs its 1000 acre campus, but there's no doubt UNC Charlotte has invested wisely in uptown facilities. There's room for another building in their plans there. The light rail will soon tie the university to uptown and perhaps improve the commercial areas adjacent to the main campus.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:07 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,458,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I just wish it were in a more urban location instead of 25 miles outside the city center.
It's 8.7 miles from uptown......25?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 PM

401 posts, read 530,755 times
I go to UNCC and I like it. If you go to college in Chicago, you're more of a laughing stock then like 80% of colleges in the Carolinas.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:13 AM

45,061 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
It's 8.7 miles from uptown......25?
Indeed, and soon to have it's own station on a light rail line. It will be the only university in North Carolina with such access to transit. When the streetcar if finished, this will also allow quick access to 3 other universities and center city Charlotte. IMO, the potentials of this and what it brings to someone seeking higher education, are lost on those stuck in the old school mindset that UNC & NC State are the only worthy state schools in NC.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 AM

2,224 posts, read 1,852,719 times
I'm a proud graduate of UNCW, and now very successful in my line of work. I owe much of that success to one fact that these satellite campuses offer - lack of arrogance. UNCC, UNCW, UNC-wherever offer you access to the main platform that serves Chapel Hill, without the additional cost or sense of entitlement that, in my own opinion, is more damaging to one's career path than lack of education in general.

True story: 2008, Chapel Hill. I was working for one of the top outfits in my field in a satellite office in Chapel Hill. My boss would mentor the MBA kids. One came into the office to meet with him. My boss and I had the same first name. Within 10 seconds, this kid realized he was talking to the wrong one in the lobby. He blew me off like I didn't even exist and was not worth his time. He was not recommended for a job. In 2012, I saw him at an industry conference. He recognized me. We talked for a few minutes. In those 4 years, he had gone through 3 jobs. I knew folks at two of three places. So, out of curiosity, a few days later I called my contacts for a side chat. They both said the same thing: "That guy thinks he already knows everything, when he hasn't a clue on how to apply anything, and a horrible attitude of arrogance. We got so sick and tired of his Chapel Hill infatuation, we were happy to see him go." It's now been 8 years. Last I heard, he hadn't moved up much in his career. Still an analyst, which is the entry point for our career field.

In 2004, I tried to get into the MBA program at Chapel Hill, after relocating from Wilmington to Raleigh for a job. They wouldn't let me in because UNCW wasn't good enough. Said I should get my MBA from UNCW. In 2007, a year after starting my new job and learning that my boss was mentoring that MBA class, I found myself sitting in the very classroom that I wan't "good enough" to be in, as a representative of my employer, fielding questions on a case study they had been studying all semester long that just so happened to be a real deal done by my boss, and I was now inheriting as my own. Did that feel good? You bet!

My point here: The Black Scholes Option Pricing Model is no different at Duke, as it is in the library of Cape Fear Community College. What is different, is that the kid at Cape Fear Community College is likely to find it a fascinating tool to make money in the future and spend the time to learn how to master it, while the kid at Duke is going to brag that he mastered it while at Duke, and hope he never has to back those statements up in the real world. Arrogance, is the kiss of death in business.

All this being said, even though it sounds like I am bashing Chapel Hill and Duke, I really am not. While Duke is a "college" and UNC is a university system, the UNCC's of NC wouldn't be nearly as good as they are without the excellence of the main HQ location, UNC-Chapel Hill. Duke, sucks. But, I'm supposed to say that because I'm a graduate of the UNC system!

True fact: The CEO of the 3rd largest apartment developer in the country, is a Wilmington man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte