Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 47,377 times

Advertisements

I'm currently attending a community college in the Chicago Suburbs but after next year I'm planning on transferring to UNCC. I want to get a job in Motorsports PR so Charlotte just seems like the right place, plus UNCC makes it very easy to double major (mass media and PR) so that and the close location to Motorsport shops for internships makes it seem like the perfect option. I am a little nervous however about the bad rep the college gets. I don't want to waste my time getting awesome grades only to have employers see that I graduated from UNCC and not hire me. I'm not from the area so I don't know if it's just a college rivalry thing that makes so many people bash UNCC or if it's really that bad.

Can someone fill me in?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times
There's UNC system colleges with much worse reputations than UNCC like Western Carolina and UNC Pembroke.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 28,433 times
Where are you seeing the bad reviews? I've heard nothing but positive things about UNCC.... in fact, my son just finished his freshman year there, majoring in computer science. From what I understand, in prior years it was primarily a commuter school, but that's changing. They're adding lots more dorm space, and have many more weekend activities for on campus students. Next year is the first year they'll have a football team, which is very exciting!

Best of luck... UNCC is a great place to be.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
It's a great college. It's not Chapel Hill or NC State, but not one of the worst either.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM

152 posts, read 193,473 times
I don't think it has a bad reputation. It has been mostly a commuter school, so if anything, it's suffered from no reputation. When I was going to college in the 90's, I probably couldn't have told you that there was a state school in Charlotte. It's a lovely campus though, and they do seem to be establishing their own identity.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizme View Post
Where are you seeing the bad reviews? I've heard nothing but positive things about UNCC.... in fact, my son just finished his freshman year there, majoring in computer science. From what I understand, in prior years it was primarily a commuter school, but that's changing. They're adding lots more dorm space, and have many more weekend activities for on campus students. Next year is the first year they'll have a football team, which is very exciting!

Best of luck... UNCC is a great place to be.
Mostly just hearing it from different places on the web. Most people say it's a throw away university that anything that breathes can get into. Other's just call it incredibly boring with no extra curriculars (which are obviously important for job resumes) and a few have said the classes aren't challenging in the slightest. I didn't know they didn't even have a football team so that could have been part of the "boring" aspect but hopefully will change with the addition of the team.

And thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
There's UNC system colleges with much worse reputations than UNCC like Western Carolina and UNC Pembroke.
I probably shouldn't mention this to my friend who's looking into Western then huh? haha

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
UNCC is not chapel hill but it is no school to laugh about. The funny part is expecting to come here and ever get a real paying job in the auto racing industry if you havent already been in the business for years and know the right people...The many many sons of the ones already on race teams etc stand in line first for most of the jobs.....college doesnt get you to the front of the line in this blue collar sport.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM

398 posts, read 983,753 times
Don't believe there's any bad rep unless if you're digging for some here. You seem to already have figured out why the UNCC program and its location in Charlotte is a great fit for you... what else is there?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh91 View Post
I probably shouldn't mention this to my friend who's looking into Western then huh? haha
You shouldn't have been told that in the first place. Where do people get these ideas? Western Carolina is where people go who will actually get a job when they finish college--at least everybody I know that went there has a job now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte