Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times

Advertisements

I agree with the sentiment that Charlotte has commonly had excess debris on the roadsides. Independence was really bad for a while. It's one of the problems that occurs with being an international city. People from some parts of the world just throw trash out the windows, because that's how they grew up, and there is no expectation of public trash cans to be available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM

23 posts, read 90,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It's actually cheaper to contract out. If you hire your own staff, you have to purchase vehicles, machinery to do the jobs, and maintain the machinery etc. And you have to provide insurance, benefits, Workers Comp etc.
I'm sorry, but I think that this may be a poor conception of work...contracting(in general) has never been cheaper than having your permanent employees.
Contracting, you basically pay much higher rate because it is a temporary job, and the contractors have no interest to do a great job since they know that 3-6 months later they'll be gone ! With your own employees, you spend less on wages + benefits, you can reach them at any time, you can ask them why they did a poor job or they did not at all, etc. They will do better since they know they can rely on the job.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I will have to agree with the OP. Charlotte has never been that good at maintaining it's medians, whether it's an all concrete median full of weeds and cigarette butts, or a grassy median. There are exceptions, especially in Ballantyne and Southpark which are privately maintained, but for the most part, the others are not on a regular maintenance schedule and can start looking pretty bad in no time.

I started a thread about this last June with pictures to support my facts. You can see them here.
These areas were eventually trimmed a) because I contacted CDoT, b) the DNC was coming to town.

Sadly, these same areas are once again looking pretty crappy.

BTW, the worst offenders for median maintenance are the state roads such as Hwy 51, Woodlawn, etc. One thing I know for sure. If you contact the right person, the work will be done. Unfortunately, Charlotte as a "reactive" view on this matter as apposed to being "proactive".
Great thread swampfoxer, I read it all, thanks !!
I wish you could do something again this year and ... every year !

Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulCharlotte View Post
Can you name where you saw these well maintained medians and public areas ? I'll drive there right away and see.
Correct, if we compare Charlotte now with Charlotte few years back and no other cities, we'll see it's getting more neglected. At least I feel this way.
City has the money from our property taxes and hopefully some extra from the big banks.
well, came in off 218 to the nightmare of 485 , all looked fairly good , it is all about perspective
I guess.
woodlawn , south blvd, park road, colony, dilworth .
I really did not think it was bad, try coming to a town that
spends no money on upkeep.all in all CLT was looking pretty good , of course the drivers are very rude and in a hurry,and man the amount of cars is unbelievable.
you want to see roadside trash try the raleigh area.

I think you guys forget how much has been put into beautifying CLT , it really is the city
of trees. anyone remember the nineties/eighties downtown?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
well, came in off 218 to the nightmare of 485 , all looked fairly good , it is all about perspective
I guess.
woodlawn , south blvd, park road, colony, dilworth .
I really did not think it was bad, try coming to a town that
spends no money on upkeep.all in all CLT was looking pretty good , of course the drivers are very rude and in a hurry,and man the amount of cars is unbelievable.
you want to see roadside trash try the raleigh area.

I think you guys forget how much has been put into beautifying CLT , it really is the city
of trees. anyone remember the nineties/eighties downtown?
Great impressions, really thanks for your nice thoughts !!
Charlotte is lucky enough to be naturally beautiful (forests) and where is "man made" beautiful ... we have to help and keep it beautiful. The streets you mentioned may look good, but they do not look as good as they used to. As a tourist you may not notice all details, but local people do. We see how these common areas get deteriorated year after year.

Please HELP !

Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Charlotte is lucky enough to be naturally beautiful (forests) and where is "man made" beautiful ... we have to help and keep it beautiful. The streets you mentioned may look good, but they do not look as good as they used to. As a tourist you may not notice all details, but local people do. We see how these common areas get deteriorated year after year.

Please HELP !
I may not have liked much about Charlotte, but I thought the downtown (uptown) area was amongst the cleanest and nicest in the country.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM

328 posts, read 615,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I may not have liked much about Charlotte, but I thought the downtown (uptown) area was amongst the cleanest and nicest in the country.
Amen - that's what I thought as well. And I recall that around early springtime, there were flowers sprouting up all over the city. Part of that is the fact that NC is just a lovely climate, but some credit should go to the folks who keep Uptown looking clean and bright.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:

Please HELP !

I assure you that I am not a tourist having lived
there for 30 years plus, the city looks 200% better now than it used too.
the public art is very nice , the new park in the area
where Charlottetown Mall/Midtown Mall used to be.
Is it starting to look more like a "big" city ? yes and with that comes a certain amount of
looking "used" but the city is still very pretty in most areas.
During the time I lived there I did notice a lot of trash always falling off/out of
the garbage trucks , during my last visit that has not changed.
Pick up trucks also loose a lot of trash when driving the hi way, people
do not realize how much speed will suck anything up and
out of the back of a pick up truck.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Pick up trucks also loose a lot of trash when driving the hi way, people
do not realize how much speed will suck anything up and
out of the back of a pick up truck.
I agree.. I don't think Charlotte has a problem with beauty but these trucks are leaving a lot of debris on the roads.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks Feltdesigner and movedtothecoast for your help !

No one else has noticed the big clovers and no grass all over main roads like Providence / 51/ Colony etc ? Trees without pine needles/mulch to keep the moisture around them during hot summers ? Weeds growing through asphalt ? How expensive will be to restore these areas over the time if no regular maintenance provided ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte