Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 10,233 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a college student finishing my Medical Technologist degree in NJ, but thinking about where me and my husband will move after we finish school. I've been eyeing North Carolina due to it's fast growth in both Charlotte and the research triangle area but I'm worried about the diversity. My husband is Mexican and he gets very home sick because he rarely, if ever sees Mexicans where we live in NJ. I really want to move somewhere with a sizable Mexican population that is NOT the southwest. Why do I hate the southwest? It's just not my style. I hated southern California but he loves it. I was curious about Texas but he hates that. We're trying to compromise. I'm wondering if Charlotte is a compromise? Are there Mexicans there? Are there Mexicans in the research triangle. I wanna take a road trip down there someday to see for myself but I'd like to know if we should even bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Yes, there are Mexicans here. In fact they have a flea market near Pineville that is primarily Mexicans along with a cool mall called Fiesta de Plaza near Carowinds. As for the research triangle area I have no idea and will leave that for others to answer.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Diversity is not a issue in North Carolina. Research Triangle is situated between several cities with little difference in demographics among them.

Charlotte
White alone - 329,545 (45.1%)
Black alone - 252,007 (34.5%)
Hispanic - 95,688 (13.1%)
Asian alone - 36,115 (4.9%)

Old 05-25-2013, 09:30 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
You're fine there are plenty of Hispanics here. Especially in the Monroe area.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
We got plenty. You can check out any of the hundreds of mexican restaurants here and over near the Home Depot on wendover you can find dozens standing around looking for work all the time...They all over the place.Come on over we gots plenty of room for more..

Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
The Latino population has definately grown in Charlotte, mainly from an influx of immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America, and some Puerto Rican and Dominican mixed in! But for the most part, the largest group of the latino population in Charlotte is Mexican and Central American!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairezva View Post
Hello I am a college student finishing my Medical Technologist degree in NJ, but thinking about where me and my husband will move after we finish school. I've been eyeing North Carolina due to it's fast growth in both Charlotte and the research triangle area but I'm worried about the diversity. My husband is Mexican and he gets very home sick because he rarely, if ever sees Mexicans where we live in NJ. I really want to move somewhere with a sizable Mexican population that is NOT the southwest. Why do I hate the southwest? It's just not my style. I hated southern California but he loves it. I was curious about Texas but he hates that. We're trying to compromise. I'm wondering if Charlotte is a compromise? Are there Mexicans there? Are there Mexicans in the research triangle. I wanna take a road trip down there someday to see for myself but I'd like to know if we should even bother.
Do move to Charlotte. Lovely city, I loved my 3 years spent there. When your husband gets homesick, take him to Cocina Latina on a weekend. Best barbacoa I've had in the States.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Depends where you can find a position as a Medical Technologist. Before going anywhere, once you graduate, be sure you take the certification exam. It also helps to specialize.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We got plenty. You can check out any of the hundreds of mexican restaurants here and over near the Home Depot on wendover you can find dozens standing around looking for work all the time...They all over the place.Come on over we gots plenty of room for more..
This is good advise as to whether or NOT you should move to Charlotte.

Spot on as they say.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 16,213 times
Its that new jersey is More Dominican and Puerto rican when it comes to hispanics in jersey same with new york , massachusset and rhode island . Mexicans tend to be more in the west and some what south n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte