U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM

148 posts, read 417,920 times

Advertisements

Union County Public Schools has banned all music lyrics at all sporting events. Cheerleaders and dancers can't perform to lyrics. Lyrics are not allowed at pep rallies or cheer competitions. Our athletes can't warm up to music with words and we can't motivate them with our favorite songs. The fans, students, and athletes are stuck with instrumental music only. There are many common sense solutions to ensure we have appropriate family friendly lyrics. The community is now pulling together to oppose this rule.

Please take the time to support the issue by signing the petition at:

http://www.change.org/petitions/unio...thletic-events

You can also follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FightForLyrics or on twitter: https://twitter.com/FightforLyrics

Wherever you live, please speak out in favor of common sense!

Please feel free to contact me with your ideas or questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM

2,168 posts, read 2,363,658 times
Appropriate???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXfna96kFg

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM

This was an end of year slide show for the Marvin Ridge middle school dance team. What are you trying to say by sharing this?

Last edited by West&East; 05-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: adding detail

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM

listen at 1:05

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM

and by the way, that was from the 2011-12 year when the girls could perform with lyrics. This year's rule has been extremely and particularly challenging for the dance teams!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
listen at 1:05
Ok, fair to say that a song with the word "damn" should not be played. The dance team did not perform to that song. It was an end of year slide show created by a parent. The dance teams at Marvin Ridge actually would not use any song that would even require a word to be dubbed out. Is this a reason to ban all lyrics? It is an opportunity to teach our kids.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 AM

If my memory is correct, the lyrics ban began a couple of years ago under the previous Superintendent.

Why not just remove the lyrics and use the music? It's dancing, not singing.

How about "Till the Dawn" or "Crash my Party" dance music used at some of UC schools. (Wow, pretty descriptive wording in these. Amazing what you can find on YouTube.)

Lyrics are great, just need to be monitored by responsible adults. I imagine it will run it's course in UC and then be tried again at some point.

Seems like there was plenty of advanced notice and warning to make a change.

Years ago, for a project I was working on, I checked lyrics for several popular songs and found there were several different versions of the same song. Some were pretty...... well, for lack of a better descriptor.... raunchy! I'm sure with the proliferation of computerized audio mixing equipment it is even easier to do currently.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

The rule was put in place at the beginning of the 2012-13 school year. Most teams (including dance teams which were great impacted) were given no advance notice. Lyrics should be monitored. There are plenty of ways to ensure appropriate music and there should be discipline for individual teams. This rule punishes all students, all teams, at all schools and also hurts the fans who come out to enjoy the games. If you read the comments on the petition, you will get some more perspectives about why the lyrics matter.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,885,742 times
I think just music fine personally. It's so loud anyhow and the singing portion is often mangled by the stadium speakers. Dancing is to the beat/music, not the lyrics anyhow IMO.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the timeline. I'll do a feeble search for the source of my recollection back in 2010 or 11. You may be right, 2012-13 was the first full year for the removal of lyrics.

I'm fairly certain it was instituted during the 2011-12 year because I also heard Dance teams in UC were grandfathered if they already had routines established. They could use the music until the end of their season, then find new music or remove the lyrics from their current music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte