Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

I have been flying in and out of CLT quite a bit lately and have gotten really tired of the whole shuttle bus system they have in place for travelers who park cars at the airport. The current available parking garages always seem to be half full. I don't understand why I seemingly have to park my car in a different zip code and take a shuttle when there are parking spaces available right in front of the terminal. I would gladly pay a little extra to be able to use those spaces.
Does anyone know if the new parking garages under construction near the main terminal are going to be replacing the long term lots and the shuttle buses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM

338 posts, read 796,599 times
The new deck in front will just be used for Rental Cars and Hourly. Long Terms Lots are going nowhere. I guess there lots of people that would rather pay $5 vs $17 a day for the Hourly.

CLT 2015

Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe10 View Post
I have been flying in and out of CLT quite a bit lately and have gotten really tired of the whole shuttle bus system they have in place for travelers who park cars at the airport. The current available parking garages always seem to be half full. I don't understand why I seemingly have to park my car in a different zip code and take a shuttle when there are parking spaces available right in front of the terminal. I would gladly pay a little extra to be able to use those spaces.
Does anyone know if the new parking garages under construction near the main terminal are going to be replacing the long term lots and the shuttle buses?
Why don't you park in the half full garages?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
I guess there lots of people that would rather pay $5 vs $17 a day for the Hourly.
This.

We just use the business valet ($10 / day). At peak times, it can be a lot faster than taking the shuttle to long-term and then waiting in line to pay to get out.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
I fly out about every 6 weeks. The whole construction thing is really a test for my patience but I grin and bear it. It's a real mess out there right now. However, I never have a problem finding a spot in the EAST/WEST daily decks in front of the terminal behind the control tower. It's $7 a day, a bargain in my book. Typically I would walk to the terminal but with the construction, you have to take the shuttle. It's gonna be very nice once this is all done though.

Yeh, why don't you park in the "half full" garages?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
CLT has the best parking of any airport that I have ever used. The most expensive option that I know of is $20 a day for the business valet if you drop it off right in front of the terminal. Even that is cheaper than a lot of other airport parking.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,332 times
I'm sure CLT would like to here all this logistic wisdom. I was just there today. They did the best with what they had given current technology..

Maybe details of potential improvements instead of wahh I'm over-indulgent and inconvenienced

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
I use "Park n Ride" $4.50/day and they pick me up at the car and drop me at the door.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
I haven't noticed a difference in shuttle times since the construction started. However the traffic trying to pick people up in your car has been pretty crazy.

I usually do the long-term. Easy in/out from 85 or 74, the shuttles come about as often as the daily, and there are a bunch of different stops (AKA easier to remember where you parked and not too far to walk). Only advantage of daily IMO is if you want to be in the garage.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I haven't noticed a difference in shuttle times since the construction started. However the traffic trying to pick people up in your car has been pretty crazy.
You've got that right. A couple of weeks ago I had a business trip that had me flying out on a Sunday afternoon, and then getting in rather late a few days later, so my wife dropped me off at the airport (and picked me up later) instead of me going there and parking myself as usual. On Sunday afternoon, the traffic was crazy. The lower deck (arrivals) was just a clogged mess; and we drove by the cel-phone lot on the way in, which was not only packed, people were simply sitting in the road, blocking traffic, waiting to get into it (even though it was perfectly clear that there were no spots available).

Over the years I have seen traffic in front of the terminal range from none to a lot, but since they shut down the hourly lots, it has gotten much worse. I think we're stuck with this until the new hourly deck is built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte