U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 AM

540 posts, read 1,522,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It's called Purim.
Nope - that's not a parade.that's a carnival...AND Jewish Halloween!
..And a day when my kids bring me home Beta fish they won...every year..never fails!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,435,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Is it very successful if we're on the verge of losing it? But what a brilliant idea. Get the State of Israel to sponsor the Thanksgiving parade and they can co-opt. The NY one is in the Spring so it makes sense that they'd want one in the Fall.
I'd say the parade has been very successful. The Carrousel is not there to be profitable. It is there to put on a parade that has brought citizens of this city together for over 50 years. And it has done it quite well. Success is not always about money.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,700,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrab View Post
Having at ANTI Israeli Parade would be disrespectful to the Jewish Community. To the OP, Charlotte is not NYC. As a New York Jewish guy who is considering a move to Charlotte, a Salute to Israel Parade wouldn't even make the top 200 of things that are important to me for a possible relocation. Decent, respectful people are my number one priority and after a brief trip to Charlotte, and interacting with the local folks, I am confident that the majority fill the bill.
Lol.

Interesting that the OP mentioned St Patrick's day.
We've had many people ask us if England celebrates St Patrick's day or tell us " I'm Irish" -with a huge smile on their faces.
I am sure that many Americans have no idea that what most of the USA calls "the troubles" in Ireland was actually a 38 year long war which started in 1969.
In the 38-year Operation Banner, which ended in 2007, 763 British servicemen and women were killed as a direct result of terrorism. It is estimated that the true total, including car crashes, suicides and friendly fire, stands at more than 1,300. More than 6,000 were wounded, some of them permanently disabled.
At the height of the Troubles in 1972 there were 27,000 British troops based in Ulster compared to 8,000 in Afghanistan and 4,000 in Iraq today. It was also the worst year for casualties with 102 soldiers killed.

Forgive us if St Patrick's day parades make me want to spit.

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 06-04-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 AM

42 posts, read 58,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Lol.
OK, maybe a "Salute to Bacon" parade might be more disrespectful!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM

520 posts, read 771,986 times
I am afraid the OP achieved what he/she set out to do..... rile up the good people of Charlotte!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,219 times
Whatsthenews - "The Troubles" are about 400 years old! They were just getting warmed up at 38. And speaking of St. Patrick's Day, I was here when Charlotte had its first, 17 years ago. It was kind of pathetic. Might have lasted 20 minutes. Through the hard work and dedication of many volunteers, it's turned into a huge and happy success. St. Patrick's day parades are really about Irish-Americans and the success they've had here as a result of being driven from their homes in Ireland by the British. Not a reflection of what goes on back there on 3/17, which is a much more religious day. Just as Irish people in Ireland have never heard of corned beef and cabbage (the Irish on the Lower East Side of Manhattan adapted/adopted the dish from Eastern European Jews), it's about what we've done here, with a nod to what was done to us over there. Slainte!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Lol.

Interesting that the OP mentioned St Patrick's day.
We've had many people ask us if England celebrates St Patrick's day or tell us " I'm Irish" -with a huge smile on their faces.
I am sure that many Americans have no idea that what most of the USA calls "the troubles" in Ireland was actually a 38 year long war which started in 1969.
In the 38-year Operation Banner, which ended in 2007, 763 British servicemen and women were killed as a direct result of terrorism. It is estimated that the true total, including car crashes, suicides and friendly fire, stands at more than 1,300. More than 6,000 were wounded, some of them permanently disabled.
At the height of the Troubles in 1972 there were 27,000 British troops based in Ulster compared to 8,000 in Afghanistan and 4,000 in Iraq today. It was also the worst year for casualties with 102 soldiers killed.

Forgive us if St Patrick's day parades make me want to spit.
Actually, I remember when the war flared up in Northern Ireland & we called it a sectarian war. I never heard the code words "the troubles" until PBS started airing some of the BBC news, before BBC America. The Irish situation started out under Elizabeth I & James I put it on steroids when he started the plantations in Ulster Province about the same time that Jamestown was founded.

St Patrick's Day in the US is an American thing. The Irish who came during the potato famine were not welcome & many ended up in tenements in NYC, where they picked up the corned beef & cabbage thing from Jewish neighbors.

Jewish people have been integral parts of this country since colonial days. The OP thinks that we should throw him or her a parade to honor a foreign country, just because someone does it in NYC.

I realize that people in the US have a reputation of not knowing history & geography, but believe me, I know both. Let's not get started with dragging selective bits & pieces of history into this.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrab View Post
OK, maybe a "Salute to Bacon" parade might be more disrespectful!
I was LOL ing at

Decent, respectful people are my number one priority and after a brief trip to Charlotte, and interacting with the local folks, I am confident that the majority fill the bill.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Whatsthenews - "The Troubles" are about 400 years old! They were just getting warmed up at 38. And speaking of St. Patrick's Day, I was here when Charlotte had its first, 17 years ago. It was kind of pathetic. Might have lasted 20 minutes. Through the hard work and dedication of many volunteers, it's turned into a huge and happy success. St. Patrick's day parades are really about Irish-Americans and the success they've had here as a result of being driven from their homes in Ireland by the British. Not a reflection of what goes on back there on 3/17, which is a much more religious day. Just as Irish people in Ireland have never heard of corned beef and cabbage (the Irish on the Lower East Side of Manhattan adapted/adopted the dish from Eastern European Jews), it's about what we've done here, with a nod to what was done to us over there. Slainte!

Sorry- but your post makes no sense to me
They were just getting warmed up at 38 ????
I was talking about how dim it is of Americans to ask British people if we celebrate St Patricks day- and suggesting that maybe that carries the same sort of ridiculousness as some people seem to think asking about an Israel parade in Charlotte
"The war"- I was referring to- (which all Americans I've spoken to refer to merely as "The troubles") started in 1969 and went on for 38 years- you know-Sinn Fein and the IRA?
I'm sure that America would never shut up about a war that their troops were fighting in for 38 years- let alone when people from foreign lands come to the USA and start setting off bombs or assassinating people- like the IRA did in England.

Southbound295 - you like history -read this- to make sure you don't have a selective knowledge of what was involved
Provisional Irish Republican Army campaign 1969
Didn't America help to fund the IRA by various means including the government of the time?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,219 times
I meant that they were just getting warmed up at about year 38 of the 400 years or so that they've been going on. Which American is asking British people if we celebrate St. patrick's Day? I missed that. As the great-grandchild of an IRA soldier, I'm very well aware of what it and Sinn Fein are. This isn't the place to discuss it, but do you really think they just went into the UK and started setting off bombs unprovoked? You might need a history lesson. And, as I said above, the NYC St. Patrick's Day was started as a salute to the Irish who had settled and succeeded in the US against great odds and adversity. I'm very pleased and proud of the fact that the parade in Charlotte has turned into the successful event that it has become. It was done through hard work and determination. If the OP wants a parade to salute Israel, I certainly wish him/her great luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or