Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I wish I had a crystal ball -- or at least one that works. Then I could tell everyone what will happen for sure in the future.

The trouble about trying to predict if there is a bubble is that we don't know the answer until the bubble has burst.
Sorry you missed the class we had on the subject "How to read tomorrow's paper today". What a GREAT class!

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
I don't know about Charlotte, but my son has been trying to buy an apartment in the Boston area and has twice missed out while bidding up to 9% above the asking price for a 1br or studio apartment. The rental market is very strong and money is still cheap, so investors are snapping up apartments and renting them out, or parents are buying them for their college student kids because the monthly cost of owning is less than rent.

In Charlotte I am troubled by the high percentage of FHA financing that only requires 3.5% down payment. That is less than the realtor's commission!!! Makes it too easy to fudge around and put people in a house they really can't afford. Does that sound familiar? It should... 2006, 2007 all over again.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I don't know about Charlotte, but my son has been trying to buy an apartment in the Boston area and has twice missed out while bidding up to 9% above the asking price for a 1br or studio apartment. The rental market is very strong and money is still cheap, so investors are snapping up apartments and renting them out, or parents are buying them for their college student kids because the monthly cost of owning is less than rent.

In Charlotte I am troubled by the high percentage of FHA financing that only requires 3.5% down payment. That is less than the realtor's commission!!! Makes it too easy to fudge around and put people in a house they really can't afford. Does that sound familiar? It should... 2006, 2007 all over again.
I'm assuming you meant 2007-2009 when the U.S. went downhill.

It was actually the complete opposite during that time period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_ZyFE4IxE

To reply to the OP, the market is coming back from the period that it did fall during the recession.
Housing market doing well in Charlotte | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
FHA's didnt cause the collapse.. it was the ARM that was attached to it. Half the time the home owner didnt even know they had one.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
To those who say that inventory in scarce...

There is PLENTY of inventory in the Faires Farms neighbourhood. Still have several foreclosures on my street.

Buy 'em up and sell them if needed. (just don't rent 'em out) We have to get our home values up!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
This only works if housing values don't dip in your area. There are plenty of people in other states who applied your basic principles and they are still upside down/ I'll never put 20% down again. Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The housing market risk is minimized if you apply the basic fundamentals of homeownership. Plan to live in the home for a minimum of 5-10 years with a 15-25% down payment.

Attempting to play the trend/timing game is as risky as the stock market for trying to turn a quick buck and is better suited for the pros. Instead, many people treated their property (equity) as a cash cow and thus probably don't have it anymore during previous bubble...too many episodes of the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
This only works if housing values don't dip in your area. There are plenty of people in other states who applied your basic principles and they are still upside down/ I'll never put 20% down again. Never.
Is it possible to put less than 20% these days?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Yes you can do a conventional with 5% down.

Investors are driving most of the market atm. 31% of sales I believe in April here in Charlotte. It's all smoke and mirrors sorta

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Sorry you missed the class we had on the subject "How to read tomorrow's paper today". What a GREAT class!

lol
Dang! I'm still working off of an October 2003 edition...

Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is it possible to put less than 20% these days?
Yes, but you'll have to pay PMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte