Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM

99 posts, read 177,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
zoysia is only brown for 3 months.

if you have irrigation you will be ok with fescue.

if you notice weeds are getting bad this summer, keep it sprayed with round up until you start a new in September. i would spray it out and ground cover with wheat straw until then personally.
Where is Zoysia brown for 3 months. I have a neighbor with it, and it is brown from late October until at least middle of april. Truly 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,976,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
As I walk my neighborhood, it's roughly half fescue and half zoysia. The difference is amazing. The zoyzia is all green and lush while the fescue lawns are covered in white flower weeds. And you can see the neighbors with fescue out there treating their lawns with all sorts of stuff. I never see the neighbors doing anything with the zoysia lawns.

I am now wanting zoysia for my yard.
Wait until August and do another comparison - and see how the fescue lawns look. We have been lucky this year with the rain, but once a drought hits I will be laughing at the fescue people.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,570,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
Where is Zoysia brown for 3 months. I have a neighbor with it, and it is brown from late October until at least middle of april. Truly 6 months.
Exactly this is the dirty lil secret of these warm weather grasses. your not getting 9 months out of it. 7 and half at the most, and the 1st and last months kinda of sucks too. growing grass sucks here, but fescue is your best option

Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM

533 posts, read 930,024 times
I have Zenith zoysia. It dormed from Nov to March. Started to grow end of March this year. April started to green, May it was good to go. Your lucky to get 4 months of fescue (Sept/Oct when you seed it, then May and June, where you are actually OUTSIDE to enjoy it before the heat bakes it back into the ground). Yeah fescue is green Nov-Feb but who the heck is outside enjoying their yards when its 30 degrees outsite? lol

Last edited by Sloante74; 06-05-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

533 posts, read 930,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Exactly this is the dirty lil secret of these warm weather grasses. your not getting 9 months out of it. 7 and half at the most, and the 1st and last months kinda of sucks too. growing grass sucks here, but fescue is your best option
Yeah but those 5-6 months is when your actually outside to enjoy the grass? Your logic does not seem right as to why fescue is the best option?

Last edited by Sloante74; 06-05-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,102,649 times
Quote:
I have Zenith zoysia. It dormed from Nov to March. Started to grow end of March this year. April started to green, May it was good to go. Your lucky to get 4 months of fescue (Sept/Oct when you seed it, then May and June, where you are actually OUTSIDE to enjoy it before the heat bakes it back into the ground). Yeah fescue is green Nov-Feb but who the heck is outside enjoying their yards when its 30 degrees outsite? lol
Me. I'm much more likely to be outside when it's colder (how often do we see freezing temps?) than when it's in the high 80s to 100 and insufferably humid.

I am no expert on grass, but I have pics of a thick green lawn in November, and this year I had good grass in early April. My fescue gets little care besides a few waterings over the summer.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM

834 posts, read 1,003,290 times
I've been seeing fescue thrown down in developments for decades with literally no care, in all climates. It also is the most resistant to animals and high-traffic..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,570,898 times
Quote:
Yeah but those 5-6 months is when your actually outside to enjoy the grass? Your logic does not seem right as to why fescue is the best option?
Fescue is the best choice for this area. Truth be told, we are in a terrible spot for grass. Too far north for warm weather, and a bit too far south for fescue. that being said fescue is your best option. Its the only grass that can be green 12 months out of the year.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,251,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Our yard was a mess when we moved here. No grass except the delightful crab grass, lots of weeds and bare, hard, ground. We don't have irrigation.

We have aerated and over seeded the last 2 October or first week in November (I wouldn't do it in September - it can still be very hot). We rented an aerator ($50) for 4 hrs, used Penningtons fescue seed (better than Scotts) and starter fertilizer. Last fall we used a fescue for shade in a few areas and they've done better this year. It cost us all in all around $200 DIY so $300 sounds good depending on your yard size, but I would ask what seed they will use and if they'll use starter fertilizer. Without starter fertilizer it will not develop deep roots-which is what you want.

4. Combined weed and feed around now- but earlier if it had been hotter- so before it gets to sustained temps above 80

I liked the idea of zoysia but couldn't afford to do it.
I think I did the shortcut version of what you did, and while my lawn is definitely not great it is doing much better than I thought it'd be as I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I had a couple lawn people come out at one point and they said we had pretty much every type of weed that existed, and not a blade of grass to be seen.

Aerated, put down some lime, seed (actually used Pennington also) and starter fertilizer. Watered it a little but probably not as often as I should have. Started to see a few blades come up but not much.

A couple weeks ago I used the Scotts Turfbuilder Plus Weed Control, and not sure if it was just a coincidence, but that seemed to work really well.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM

238 posts, read 565,176 times
I've had fescue for over 8 years and it's green year round. We put some weed and feed in the fall, and it turns it a lush rich green. I like fescue for that reason. Having a dead long for 6 months isn't appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte