Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 AM

109 posts, read 200,217 times

Advertisements

I would guess that by 2050 we would definitely have more commuter rail in Charlotte including a line to Gastonia, the long sought for Lake Norman, and possibly one to Kannapolis.

As for light rail - I would love to see the Blue Line extended to at least Carowinds (NC/Mecklenburg side) which I think is more likely than to Rock Hill. It would still serve as a major Park and Ride stop for South Carolina Residents and also aid the amusement park. On the other side of the line - I would think extended the Blue line (when built to UNCC) to the Motorspeedway and Concord Mills is the most sense and most likely for the light rail to cross county lines.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM

279 posts, read 447,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said tech companies would be the reason why commuter trains would be built. I merely used them as an example of how telecommuting isn't going to result in this massive decentralization that you're claiming. Again, data centers don't employ a lot of people anyway so that doesn't help your argument.
Data centers do employ massive numbers of people and almost all of them are remote. It's decentralization on a mass scale.

If they happen to be office workers, there is no need for them to be in expensive skyscrapers. We can only hope that these jobs will even be in the USA. IBM is managing its vast servers farms in RTP with people located in Dublique, Iowa. It's far cheaper to put their offices there. It's industry, that didn't exist 20 years ago, employing vast numbers of people, who have no need to be in a center city to do their job.

My point that is that technology changes, including those which have yet to appear, are not going to drive new jobs into the centers of cities as they once did in the 19th & 20th centuries. The data center & server farm example is a good one, I am glad you brought up Yahoo & Google.

The trends are not there which would justify spending a billion+ dollars to build a commuter rail line from Rock Hill to the center of Charlotte.

Last edited by Barфsa; 06-08-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I would guess that by 2050 we would definitely have more commuter rail in Charlotte including a line to Gastonia, the long sought for Lake Norman, and possibly one to Kannapolis.

As for light rail - I would love to see the Blue Line extended to at least Carowinds (NC/Mecklenburg side) which I think is more likely than to Rock Hill. It would still serve as a major Park and Ride stop for South Carolina Residents and also aid the amusement park. On the other side of the line - I would think extended the Blue line (when built to UNCC) to the Motorspeedway and Concord Mills is the most sense and most likely for the light rail to cross county lines.
I'm with you on extending the BLE extension to the Speedway! I also think that extending light rail at least from Pineville to Carowinds also makes sense!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
First of all, I don't believe Charlotte made the push for Microsoft to locate Uptown
Link

"Gateway Village, an uptown office project by Bank of America, was also considered. The bank had offered Microsoft substantial incentives including free employee parking to lure the company to the campus that is under construction downtown. Ultimately, Microsoft picked Arrowpoint because the park offered room for future expansion, "

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
Link

"Gateway Village, an uptown office project by Bank of America, was also considered. The bank had offered Microsoft substantial incentives including free employee parking to lure the company to the campus that is under construction downtown. Ultimately, Microsoft picked Arrowpoint because the park offered room for future expansion, "
The complete opposite of what you stated as "Uptown lost to Arrowpoint." It's called business and future growth.

Quote:
The trends are not there which would justify spending a billion+ dollars to build a commuter rail line from Rock Hill to the center of Charlotte.
Are you from Canada or something? In many American cities of Charlotte's size and larger, there is commuter rail traveling from suburbs to the anchor city. This isn't disputable.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I'm with you on extending the BLE extension to the Speedway! I also think that extending light rail at least from Pineville to Carowinds also makes sense!
Carowinds? Can't see that leg being busy during school or winter. Ditto with the speedway.

Carolina Place/Ballantyne & Concord Mills seems like a good traffic generator? Still I doubt any that will happen this century...

CityLynx Gold Line, Lynx Red Line, Lynx Blue Line Extension, Bus Rapid Transit (or slim chance Light Rail) down independence and the longest shot being streetcar down Monroe Road. Thats all we all on here ever get to look forward to one day (unless anyone here is 5 or 10)

Anything else within 50 years or so - IMO - is a long shot, pipe dream.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
The complete opposite of what you stated as "Uptown lost to Arrowpoint." It's called business and future growth. Are you from Canada or something? In many American cities of Charlotte's size and larger, there is commuter rail traveling from suburbs to the anchor city. This isn't disputable.
I don't understand your first remark about Microsoft. You said you didn't believe it, so I linked an article that proved it happened. They tried to lure Microsoft to the center city, MS wasn't having it. I think that Gates was involved and they failed to impress him.

I agree that your second comment about trains isn't disputable. Some cities do have commuter trains. How are any of these unnamed cities applicable to the situation in Charlotte 2050? Tell us that, then we can judge if it would be relevant or not.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:56 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Quote:
I don't understand your first remark about Microsoft. You said you didn't believe it, so I linked an article that proved it happened. They tried to lure Microsoft to the center city, MS wasn't having it. I think that Gates was involved and they failed to impress him.
You specifically said "Microsoft's largest development center on the East Coast is in Charlotte. They turned down, twice, efforts to get them to locate in the center city and instead located out in the suburbs. I believe this is ~3,000 jobs." Your link states the exact reason Microsoft preferred the Arrowpoint location rather than the Uptown location. More space. Microsoft has a very nice campus, entirely to itself. That wouldn't be possible if it were built at the location Uptown your link refers to.

You make it sound as if Charlotte asked Bill himself if he would put the jobs in Uptown and Bill said no because Uptown wasn't worthy enough to add the Microsoft name to the list of corporate businesses, the suburbs were. That is far from the case. At least according to the link you posted. Did you get fired from Microsoft?

Quote:
I agree that your second comment about trains isn't disputable. Some cities do have commuter trains. How are any of these unnamed cities applicable to the situation in Charlotte 2050? Tell us that, then we can judge if it would be relevant or not.
Considering everyone posting is correcting almost everything you say, there's no "us." No one can tell the future, but it's very obvious the trains will serve the suburbs in the future. You're on your own if you're trying to dispute that.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Data centers do employ massive numbers of people and almost all of them are remote. It's decentralization on a mass scale.

If they happen to be office workers, there is no need for them to be in expensive skyscrapers. We can only hope that these jobs will even be in the USA. IBM is managing its vast servers farms in RTP with people located in Dublique, Iowa. It's far cheaper to put their offices there. It's industry, that didn't exist 20 years ago, employing vast numbers of people, who have no need to be in a center city to do their job.

My point that is that technology changes, including those which have yet to appear, are not going to drive new jobs into the centers of cities as they once did in the 19th & 20th centuries. The data center & server farm example is a good one, I am glad you brought up Yahoo & Google.

Data centers absolutely do NOT "employ massive numbers of people." Where are you getting this from? The Google data center in Lenoir, which represented a $600 million initial investment, only employs 120 people. AT&T's $200 million data center in Kings Mountain will only provide 100 jobs. Apple's $1 billion data center in Maiden only employs 50 people. Facebook's two data centers in Forest City, which represent an investment of almost $1 billion, only employ a total of 40 people. So we're talking about a total of four data centers for high-profile companies, representing a combined investment of about $3 billion dollars, only employing a little over 300 people.

And here's are reasons why these particular data centers choose to locate in small towns: 10 reasons Apple, Facebook & Google chose North Carolina for their mega data centers — Tech News and Analysis Simply put, the logistics work against them being in highly urbanized areas. But again, this doesn't really even matter since they are not providers of lots of jobs.

So unfortunately, you have yet to prove that changes in technology will not result in jobs continuing to locate in the core of metropolitan areas (central cities and surrounding suburban areas). It's nothing more than speculation on your part and if current trends are any indicator, it only demonstrates that metropolitan areas are disproportionately attracting jobs. The decentralization that's occurring economically is happening within metropolitan areas, where there are increasingly more nodes of employment--which makes the case for the impending need for commuter rail.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 AM

109 posts, read 200,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Carowinds? Can't see that leg being busy during school or winter. Ditto with the speedway.

Carolina Place/Ballantyne & Concord Mills seems like a good traffic generator? Still I doubt any that will happen this century...
You seemed to not have read my post fully.

I said Carowinds terminus as a Southern extension was more likely than Rock Hill as it would stay within the Meck County and still serve as a huge commuter Park and Ride. The same point goes for the Concord Mills terminus.

Concord Mills and CMS I think is an eventual given though because I think it will include shared build costs with Cabbarus/Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte