U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,658 posts, read 1,866,050 times
Reputation: 1478

Advertisements

This is why Independence/74 needs to be upgraded to a freeway all the way out to 485 as soon as possible. One can just look at a highway map of Charlotte and see the glaring lack of a freeway through the eastern part of the city to smooth traffic flow between Uptown and the eastern suburbs. Once the freeway is fully done with at least 3 lanes on each side, things should smooth out somewhat and at least make the commute somewhat less frustrating. One can see where all the bottlenecking usually begins is right at the Sharon Amity intersection where the current expressway ends. The completion of the expressway out to Conference drive will for now just push the congestion out to the Harris Blvd light and also make the McAlpine Bridge bottleneck even worse. Not until it's completed out to 485 will things finally smooth out.

NC originally wanted 74 to be part of the Interstate system from Asheville to Wilmington. Oh how things could be so much better right now if it had been approved.

Like others said above there really is no viable alternative either. Monroe Rd/7th street has far too many lights, Central ends at Albemarle Rd, Albemarle travels further north than the more populated areas east of Charlotte, and Idlewild is 2 lanes for many stretches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM
 
5,905 posts, read 7,763,595 times
Reputation: 3398
Albemarle Rd is a pretty crappy commute as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,159,551 times
Reputation: 14334
Semi off-topic, I saw that a Bojangles is opening on down by Kaplan. I always find it interesting when I see new businesses opening on Indy given all the talk about it eventually being an expressway. Especially ones that are pretty close to the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Union County, NC
2,115 posts, read 6,454,484 times
Reputation: 1130
My poor husband. It's a bear of a commute coming from Monroe. Not too bad in the morning because he leaves by 5. But it seems to be a mess coming home regardless of the time.

I spent months doing the same commute to see medical specialists 3x/week. Truly relieved when it finally came to an end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,033 posts, read 27,331,870 times
Reputation: 9051
I've been on Independence & it is a nasty road to drive on. That said, I don't think that it will be fixed by turning it into an expressway, all the way to Matthews. Anybody think that the Monroe bypass will fix it, or will that be a band-aid?

I don't understand why they are not trying to do something on the east to replicate the roads on the west side.

Keep something in mind. The populations of Union & Gaston are very close. Look at a map & see the size difference between the 2 counties. Gaston's population is also concentrated in the 85/74 corridor. You'd think that it would be Wilkinson with the problem, but keep looking at a map & see the options available from the west. That's what they need on the east - options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,692,256 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
This is why Independence/74 needs to be upgraded to a freeway all the way out to 485 as soon as possible. One can just look at a highway map of Charlotte and see the glaring lack of a freeway through the eastern part of the city to smooth traffic flow between Uptown and the eastern suburbs. Once the freeway is fully done with at least 3 lanes on each side, things should smooth out somewhat and at least make the commute somewhat less frustrating. One can see where all the bottlenecking usually begins is right at the Sharon Amity intersection where the current expressway ends. The completion of the expressway out to Conference drive will for now just push the congestion out to the Harris Blvd light and also make the McAlpine Bridge bottleneck even worse. Not until it's completed out to 485 will things finally smooth out.

NC originally wanted 74 to be part of the Interstate system from Asheville to Wilmington. Oh how things could be so much better right now if it had been approved.

Like others said above there really is no viable alternative either. Monroe Rd/7th street has far too many lights, Central ends at Albemarle Rd, Albemarle travels further north than the more populated areas east of Charlotte, and Idlewild is 2 lanes for many stretches.
Construction on both Independence and 485 began in 1989! At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for 485 as it is slated to finally be completed next year! Unfortunately, we don't know when the Independence Freeway conversion will be finished, b/c it seems that it takes an entire decade just to complete a 2 mile stretch of road, is NCDOT that backwards? On top of that, once the Independence Freeway conversion is completed, the road will be so outdated and jacked-up that they will have to go back and fix that problem, creating another construction mess that will take forever to redo that antiquated structure due to them taking forever to finish its construction, going by NCDOT standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,156 posts, read 3,390,979 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Semi off-topic, I saw that a Bojangles is opening on down by Kaplan. I always find it interesting when I see new businesses opening on Indy given all the talk about it eventually being an expressway. Especially ones that are pretty close to the road.
Bo's is replacing the store that got knocked down at the corner of Independence & Idlewild with a much nicer one. All those road construction people have to eat somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,159,551 times
Reputation: 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Bo's is replacing the store that got knocked down at the corner of Independence & Idlewild with a much nicer one. All those road construction people have to eat somewhere!
Good point. I had the thought that it might be owned by the same people who had the one on Idlewild that people always used as a cut through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
 
601 posts, read 793,425 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've been on Independence & it is a nasty road to drive on. That said, I don't think that it will be fixed by turning it into an expressway, all the way to Matthews. Anybody think that the Monroe bypass will fix it, or will that be a band-aid?
I don't think the Monroe Bypass will do much with inbound traffic. In fact, I could see it creating a bottleneck near I-485, since commuters coming off the Monroe Bypass will run into street lights in Matthews. It really goes to show that the state needs to fast-track the next section of Independence in southeast Mecklenburg as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Semi off-topic, I saw that a Bojangles is opening on down by Kaplan. I always find it interesting when I see new businesses opening on Indy given all the talk about it eventually being an expressway. Especially ones that are pretty close to the road.
Seems like a short-sighted decision on Bojangles behalf for rebuilding again near an expressway. If you go down further Independence near Amity Gardens and the Coliseum Shopping Center, you'll see a few abandoned fast-food places that were directly affected by the conversion of the road. With that said, things could be different for Bojangles for this location, since you'll be able to access it from a couple of back roads that connect to Monroe Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Construction on both Independence and 485 began in 1989! At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for 485 as it is slated to finally be completed next year! Unfortunately, we don't know when the Independence Freeway conversion will be finished, b/c it seems that it takes an entire decade just to complete a 2 mile stretch of road, is NCDOT that backwards? On top of that, once the Independence Freeway conversion is completed, the road will be so outdated and jacked-up that they will have to go back and fix that problem, creating another construction mess that will take forever to redo that antiquated structure due to them taking forever to finish its construction, going by NCDOT standards!
I got a chance to speak to the project manager of the Independence Blvd project, and he said the next section should get financed by 2018, and construction starting soon after ROW acquisition is complete (so likely 2020). This section will be longer than the previous ones, stretching from Conference Dr, all the way down past Sardis Road (near Hayden Way, right at the Matthews border). And funny you would mention redoing parts of Independence; there are talks of using the current busway on Independence between Uptown to Albemarle Road as a hybrid tollroad/busway. This would mean removing the two barriers, and simply adding one barrier in the middle of the road. Also, plans could also change if the median gets used as a ROW for the Silver Line light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:27 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,033 posts, read 27,331,870 times
Reputation: 9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
I don't think the Monroe Bypass will do much with inbound traffic. In fact, I could see it creating a bottleneck near I-485, since commuters coming off the Monroe Bypass will run into street lights in Matthews. It really goes to show that the state needs to fast-track the next section of Independence in southeast Mecklenburg as soon as possible.



Seems like a short-sighted decision on Bojangles behalf for rebuilding again near an expressway. If you go down further Independence near Amity Gardens and the Coliseum Shopping Center, you'll see a few abandoned fast-food places that were directly affected by the conversion of the road. With that said, things could be different for Bojangles for this location, since you'll be able to access it from a couple of back roads that connect to Monroe Road.



I got a chance to speak to the project manager of the Independence Blvd project, and he said the next section should get financed by 2018, and construction starting soon after ROW acquisition is complete (so likely 2020). This section will be longer than the previous ones, stretching from Conference Dr, all the way down past Sardis Road (near Hayden Way, right at the Matthews border). And funny you would mention redoing parts of Independence; there are talks of using the current busway on Independence between Uptown to Albemarle Road as a hybrid tollroad/busway. This would mean removing the two barriers, and simply adding one barrier in the middle of the road. Also, plans could also change if the median gets used as a ROW for the Silver Line light rail.
Am I off-base or is the problem lack of options for people coming from the east?

There are lots of options coming from the west. I switch from 74 to 85 at exit 10, then get off in Belmont at exit 27, drive 2 blocks & take a left onto Wilkinson. One more exit on 85 takes you to 485, & then there are all of the other options on 85, depending on your destination. It seems like people coming from the east have few options & most end up on Independence. Wilkinson & Independence are like night & day, yet they are both US 74.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top