Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't know enough about Mt Holly to comment on it, but I'd bet that Tanker Town is not deserved. Drive around Belmont, Cramerton & Mt Holly & continue west to Gastonia on 74. You will see that there are shopping centers & a mall. If you can't take the drive, you can do it virtually, although a lot has changed in Gastonia in the last few years.

As I said, you will do most of your shopping in Gastonia & that will include groceries. Besides the stores in Gastonia, there is an Ingles in Dallas. Some people from Belmont do drive to the Ingles in Kings Mountain, occasionally. Food Lion recently closed in Belmont, but I would assume that someone will open a supermarket in eastern Gaston County soon.

There are some very nice restaurants in downtown Belmont.

I am guessing that the reason another CDF member referred to Mount Holly as Tanker town is because it is the home to several manufacturing plants that use large trucks to bring in raw materials and take out the finished product. It's location right off the I-85 and next to the river will have been very attractive to the industries.
A little research shows the following all have manufacturing plants an or headquarters in Mount Holly

American and Efird (textile and thread manufacturing)
Clariant (chemical manufacturing including pesticides) Clariant Services & Products - Exactly Your Chemistry - Mount Holly, NC

Burlington denim mill
Freightliner truck manufacturing plant
National Gypsum wallboard manufacturing plant (uses byproduct gypsum produced by sulfur dioxide scrubbers at four of Duke Power’s coal-fired power plants)

To the OP- what is it that you're looking for that you would like to live in a small town?
Is it older historic homes, larger lots, lots of trees , somewhere to "walk about" with restaurants ,specialty stores etc? Do you want to actually live in a downtown area?

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 06-10-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I am guessing that the reason another CDF member referred to Mount Holly as Tanker town is because it is the home to several manufacturing plants that use large trucks to bring in raw materials and take out the finished product. It's location right off the I-85 and next to the river will have been very attractive to the industries.
A little research shows the following all have manufacturing plants an or headquarters in Mount Holly

American and Efird (textile and thread manufacturing)
Clariant (chemical manufacturing including pesticides) Clariant Services & Products - Exactly Your Chemistry - Mount Holly, NC

Burlington denim mill
Freightliner truck manufacturing plant
National Gypsum wallboard manufacturing plant (uses byproduct gypsum produced by sulfur dioxide scrubbers at four of Duke Power’s coal-fired power plants)

To the OP- what is it that you're looking for that you would like to live in a small town?
Is it older historic homes, larger lots, lots of trees , somewhere to "walk about" with restaurants ,specialty stores etc? Do you want to actually live in a downtown area?
Those businesses are called rateables & they are a good thing.

I found the post that you referred to & you are wrong about Mt Holly being called Tanker Town. Post # 28 is the post that you are attributing to Mt. Holly. http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...t-these-3.html

In that post, the poster refers to an area in Charlotte as tank town & suggests to the OP of that thread to look in Mt. Holly instead.

There's nothing wrong with Mt. Holly, but I have been told by several people who are employed in the Gaston County schools that Cramerton Middle is the best middle school in the district. I'm not sure which areas of Mt. Holly are involved in it. This is why I told the OP of this thread to look at Belmont & Cramerton, because Cramerton Middle will feed the new high school.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Those businesses are called rateables & they are a good thing.

I found the post that you referred to & you are wrong about Mt Holly being called Tanker Town. Post # 28 is the post that you are attributing to Mt. Holly. http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...t-these-3.html

In that post, the poster refers to an area in Charlotte as tank town & suggests to the OP of that thread to look in Mt. Holly instead.

There's nothing wrong with Mt. Holly, but I have been told by several people who are employed in the Gaston County schools that Cramerton Middle is the best middle school in the district. I'm not sure which areas of Mt. Holly are involved in it. This is why I told the OP of this thread to look at Belmont & Cramerton, because Cramerton Middle will feed the new high school.
The industries I listed are all in Mount Holly-mostly between Main Street and the river.
Yes those businesses bring in revenue in taxes for the city which is a good thing, but they also increase noise, heavy traffic and pollution levels and a plant making chemicals is not what I would want on my doorstep.
In post #28 he seems to be talking about Moores Chapel -which is across the River from Mount Holly.
This wasn't the thread I was talking about -it was one where I'd commented on some real estate prices in one of the Atlanta 'burbs and someone called it Tanker Town and compared it to Mount Holly here.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
The industries I listed are all in Mount Holly-mostly between Main Street and the river.
Yes those businesses bring in revenue in taxes for the city which is a good thing, but they also increase noise, heavy traffic and pollution levels and a plant making chemicals is not what I would want on my doorstep.
In post #28 he seems to be talking about Moores Chapel -which is across the River from Mount Holly.
This wasn't the thread I was talking about -it was one where I'd commented on some real estate prices in one of the Atlanta 'burbs and someone called it Tanker Town and compared it to Mount Holly here.
Find the post that you are talking about & post a link to it. I searched this forum for Tanker Town & got 3 threads. One was this one. The first of the other 2 had nothing appropriate. I posted a link to the appropriate post in the other.

You are certainly welcome to think ill of wherever you want & that is your right. Oddly enough, I got an email from the "chemical plant" about a year ago. I was a broadcast technician & someone there was checking an online jobsite for a lab technician. The email only referenced technician & I went through their website with a fine tooth comb looking to see if they had a department that might do video documenting. Finally, I looked at job openings & it was a lab tech. I saw nothing scary. Understand that companies have different departments. They don't make makeup & pesticides in the same building. Lab work is not always done in a manufacturing facility. It's your right to be disturbed by the lab in Mt Holly, just as it's my right to be disturbed by the nuke plant near you.

As to Tanker Town, find the post or what I found stands. We are not supposed to be trashing places, especially places that we don't know reasonably well. Good grief, I recommend Mooresville to people when it's appropriate to what they want & need & I do not mention the nuke plant. My interpretation of the TOS are that we are supposed to be helpful & I don't think that that includes hearsay. I don't know enough about Mt Holly to be helpful to the OP, but I know enough about Belmont & Cramerton. There is a poster who lives in Mt Holly & if the OP DMs me, I'll DM that poster's name to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte