Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,005 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will be traveling to Charlotte @ the end of July. Can you all tell me some great places I should visit. I'm looking for great restaurants, jazz clubs and/or places that have live music. Also I'll be scoping out Charlotte for a possibly move. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM

328 posts, read 615,913 times
Charlotte has a ton to offer, but one of its greatest assets is the weather and abundance of green space. If I were you, and the weather was cooperating, I'd visit Freedom Park / Sugar Creek Greenway, take a peek into some of the neighborhoods (Myers Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Wesley Heights), and maybe take a tour of the public art in Uptown (CLT is unique in that it has an ordiance requiring something like 1% of all corporate real estate transactions must go to the arts, which is why there is such an unusually great amount of public art compared to most cities its size - you can get a walking tour map on the Arts and Science Council's website: Arts & Science Council). There are also a lot of museums, including the Mint, Gantt, Bechtler, and NASCAR.

The Evening Muse in NoDa usually has good live music and a great vibe.

As for restaurants, my favorites are Mert's in Uptown (southern food), Pike's Soda Shop in South End, Fuel Pizza (at East and South Blvds - that's the best one), Mac's on South Blvd (it's a biker bar with fantastic bbq, but it attracts people of all kinds - not just bikers) and Bad Daddy's in Dilworth. For breakfast/coffee, try Sunflour Bakery in Elizabeth or 7th Street Market in Uptown.

Oh, and be sure to stop by Amelie's in NoDa, too: any time I've brought someone from out of town there, they remark that they wished they lived in Charlotte. It's really a CLT institution and you'll be glad you visited.

Enjoy your time in the city!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
Quote:
jazz clubs
Dream on...- The scene here is severely lacking concerning jazz.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM

328 posts, read 615,913 times
Yeah, it's not necessarily known for its jazz scene, but that doesn't mean you can't find it. Plus, there are tons of other fantastic live music venues that are similar - a lot of wine bars with live music and such.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM

343 posts, read 600,583 times
Try the Double Door Inn for jazz. Granted I haven't been in a few years but it used to have a pretty decent jazz scene!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Thank u everybody for the suggestions!!! I really appreciate your responses. I look forward to visiting!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 PM

128 posts, read 222,228 times
Some of the popular live music locations: Evening Muse, Neighborhood Theatre, NC Music Factory with the Filmore especially, and Visulite,

Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,551 times
If you'll be here long enough for the first Friday in August, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art hosts a jazz concert the first Friday of every month -

Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - Jazz at the Bechtler

You can check concerts & events to see if the timing of your visit will coincide with a good show -

Charlotte Jazz Music Charlotte, Shows & Things To Do Events - The Charlotte Observer

Unfortunately, it won't be when you're here, but wanted to include info on Charlotte's Jazz Fest coming up in a couple of weeks -

4th Annual Uptown Charlotte Jazz Fest

Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,190 times
NC Music Factory

Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Thank you everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: