Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
As much as a hassle it is to go and hope they have your part, it's been a huge money saver for us. Especially little things like a window regulator. We paid like $10 for a pulled one when a new one cost over $100. i also did get a get a set of 4 michelin tires from a salvage yard in Rock Hill for a quarter of the price and they were about 85 percent good tread on them. That one was an excellent find.
Did you check the DOT stamp on the tires to see when they were manufactured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
As much as a hassle it is to go and hope they have your part, it's been a huge money saver for us. Especially little things like a window regulator. We paid like $10 for a pulled one when a new one cost over $100. i also did get a get a set of 4 michelin tires from a salvage yard in Rock Hill for a quarter of the price and they were about 85 percent good tread on them. That one was an excellent find.
Once we got a rear window glass (the back window not the door window) for $21.00, a starter for $17.00.
We visited the Charlotte lot yesterday. All vehicles are off the ground and supported by odd rims welded to the frame. They said that if the vehicles arrive with 1-4 wheels on them, they leave them on the vehicles.
Just outside the exit door to the yard there were maybe 10-12 odd rims on a rack on the right side by the fence.
Websites for both of the mentioned yards let you search their inventory online.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Did you check the DOT stamp on the tires to see when they were manufactured?
I don't know what that is but I did have the original receipt for the tires. They were with the suv the salvage yard got.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know what that is but I did have the original receipt for the tires. They were with the suv the salvage yard got.
It's how to tell how old the tires actually are. It's not a good idea to drive on tires that are past a certain amount of age. What that age actually is varies depending on many things, including who is asked, but I think 10 years is the general age past which tires need to be replaced.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging – Part #1

Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's how to tell how old the tires actually are. It's not a good idea to drive on tires that are past a certain amount of age. What that age actually is varies depending on many things, including who is asked, but I think 10 years is the general age past which tires need to be replaced.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging – Part #1
Thanks for that tip! I copied this and sent it to my husband.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that tip! I copied this and sent it to my husband.
It's something to keep in mind when buying tires, even new. I'm shopping now, and I'm finding that on ebay and craigslist there are tires that still have stickers on them, but they're as much as 6 years old. I've seen tires in stores that are three+ years old, especially closeouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte