Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,420,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Thanks. That was a major detail I spaced out. Still could be O.K. I believe it would be about a 12 mile drive.
IIRC, from the Lake Norman area it's over 40 miles and almost an hour commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 AM

59 posts, read 168,174 times
Thanks for the correction. I would love to live near a lake, but that is definitely too far.

Can anyone tell me if there are any swim/tennis communities in Waxhaw or Monroe etc. with houses on more than 1/2 acre of land? I just don't want the houses on top of each other which is so common in new constuction.

Thanks!

mbina05

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,142,183 times
A quick check on the MLS (up to $330K) showed 3 listings of at least a half an acre with pool and tennis -- if you go down to a .4 acre there are 15 listings (ages vary from built in 1972 to new). A realtor can easily set you up with an automated search that e-mails you listings that meet your criteria, and updates them daily.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 9,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbina05 View Post
So is Waxhaw, Indian Trail, Matthews, and Weddington in Union County?

Is there year round school or magnent schools?

What is Downtown Monroe like? If we got a historic home is it a good area to walk to quaint shops. How is the crime in that area?

Thanks so much!

mbina05
All the places you mentioned above are in Union County. I live in Indian Trail right now, about 20 minutes from Monroe. I think the crime rate is pretty high in Monroe, and I don't think the schools rate that well. I think you would be much happier in the Waxhaw area if you are looking for a town with a quaint downtown area.
Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 AM

59 posts, read 168,174 times
I'm thinking Indian Trail too. Still like to have the conveniences of shopping etc., and I don't mean Target either LOL, but like a historic downtown area too. I know I'm asking for alot.

I definitely would like property, but would like a swim/tennis community, not the new super neighborhoods either.

Anymore input out there?

Am I looking for the impossible?

mbina05

Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTQ1026 View Post
All the places you mentioned above are in Union County. I live in Indian Trail right now, about 20 minutes from Monroe. I think the crime rate is pretty high in Monroe, and I don't think the schools rate that well. I think you would be much happier in the Waxhaw area if you are looking for a town with a quaint downtown area.
Good Luck!
I'm pretty ignorant about what someone else would consider as "pretty high" in terms of crime rate but I guess that makes sense, it would be rather subjective. But personally, as a resident of Monroe, I feel extremely safe and we've been very happy with our decision to move here from New Jersey.

Monroe feels very "southern" to me in many aspects and more so than many of the surrounding communities. The downtown is not terrific but there is a revitilization in the works, the mall is being revamped (while it currently lacks in selection and there is no "fine" shopping, I am completely comfortable there when it comes to just strolling and I love the lack of crowds and pretention) and I'd be willing to bet a PR campaign is likely to follow.

I've never had more generous, kind and down-to-earth neighbors in my life. But we deliberately chose a neighborhood that was small, semi-rural (in other words with some acreage) and was not completely inhabited with other Yankees. (It still tickles me that people relocate only to surround themselves with people they formerly lived next door to. I actually like having neighbors who are native.)

There are homes in the Monroe Downtown, or what I think is the "historic" area that are absolutely beautiful, full of personality, the big rambling Victorian types that I thought we might one day inhabit .... if they were in our price range! I have become acquainted with a number of professionals (mostly doctors and social workers) whom deliberately chose this area to live in.

Now, as for the schools in Monroe City, people are steering you away from lower test scores and alleged reputations. I have personal experience with two schools in particular that I hear a lot of stories that I might possibly find entertaining, if I didn't know for a fact that they were BS. My personal favorite? A few weeks back we had a housekeeper who proclaimed she would never send her child to a particular (elementary) school since, "the police are there every day." Since I have been a regular volunteer there, have neigbors who are active on the PTA, have formed a kind, working relationship with the extraordinary principal and have NOT seen police present at the campus in my entire year here ... well, I just don't know what school she was describing.

The children in Monroe City schools overwhelmingly come from lower socioeconomic situations, are less likely to have English as a first language, the test scores are lower and they ARE more likely to be Black or brown. However, in my personal experience, they have been nothing but delightful and eager learners. Do I feel safe there? All the time. Would I feel comfortable having my own children there? Yes. Do Union County schools, in general, score higher on standardized tests? Yes. Are there schools I'd be comfortable sending my children to in UC? Some. In the end, it all comes down to one's individual comfort zone. But I guess I just felt the need to defend (once again) my adopted hometown and encourage people to go out on a limb, see for yourselves and don't always believe the hype.

Now, as for Waxhaw, I have a lot less to say but that is only because I don't know it as well. However, when it comes to quaint, walkable downtowns and areas with a lot of charm, I definitely think of Waxhaw. Actually, that's why I encouraged my grandparents to relocate there and they recently bought their home close to the downtown. I love it for them.

I'm sure people have sent you DMs with a lot of possibilities. I really do hope you find what will make your heart happy and bring lots of contentment to your family. After just a little more than a year here, we still feel like moving to Union County was amongst the best decisions we've ever made. I bet you'll be happy too.

Blessings,

Sara

Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbina05 View Post
I'm thinking Indian Trail too. Still like to have the conveniences of shopping etc., and I don't mean Target either LOL, but like a historic downtown area too. I know I'm asking for alot.

I definitely would like property, but would like a swim/tennis community, not the new super neighborhoods either.

Anymore input out there?

Am I looking for the impossible?

mbina05

As far as I know, IT doesn't have a "downtown." Of course, if I'm wrong, someone will jump right in and correct me (and naturally, I encourage that!). You sound more like you're describing Waxhaw, as far as suitability for your family.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM

172 posts, read 582,338 times
As a Monroe resident, I agree with everything saralee has to say and she said it much better than I could. I love Monroe. My daughters live in Indian Trail and they are very happy there as well. We are on an acre and a half lot with lots of privacy. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM

48 posts, read 216,543 times
I live in Waxhaw north of downtown, near the South Carolina border. It is about 30 minutes to Monroe from here. Downtown Waxhaw is really lovely (antique shops, restaurants, galleries) and there's a very nice farmers market twice a week.

There is a new tennis club at Blakeney, just across the Union County/Mecklenburg border (about 15 mins. from Waxhaw). I don't think they have a pool though.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,847 times
AS a Mecklenberg county resident and a CMS parent, I highly reccommend, either Union County or even dip into York County with Fort Mill school districts - it will be a bit of a drive from York county up 485 but the school systems are incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte