Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Vilma Leake is a fraud and should have been run out of town on a rail.

Her apologists, wait for it, are RACISTS, tolerating anything she does because of the color of her skin.

She is a disgrace and people of integrity, regardless of race, know this.

The fact that she has a "base" of supports amongst a segment of the population reflects very poorly on those that tolerate her.

Period.
Ok, tell us how you really feel.

I'm sure that are people or elected officials you support that others feel should've been "run" out of town and reflects poorly on those that tolerate them...jus sayin'.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Oh dear... Dr. Vilma has upset a few people.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Oh dear... Dr. Vilma has upset a few people.
Lol, seems easier to get a GED, make 200k/yr as a contracted spy for the NSA (I know, off-topic and a can of worms)...Dr. Vilma got into the wrong field. Could you imagine if companies and hiring authorities thoroughly investigated so-called work experiences and educational claims....at least she ("Dr." Vilma) could see the finish line.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,333 times
I don't know who told you it was a term of endearment in the Black community.... but they would be wrong. I've never heard of such nonsense. Its more likely that her constituents have always heard her referred to as Dr, and therefore referred to her the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Sorry, I thought everyone knew. She was addressed as "Dr." when she was on the school board and she does not hold that degree. There are lots of documents you can find with minutes that say that besides what is on my post. The odd thing is going from teacher to principal to school board and she was called doctor, who started it? It is odd that the school system would do it on their own.

People asked about it after it came out that she didn't have the degree stated that in the black community "Dr." was a term of endearment. You used it for people you really respected a lot even without a degree.

This should all be dead and buried but it popped up last night in that tweet which I think is irresponsible and then I found that a Commission board report also addressed her as Dr. last year.

Me saying the above paragraph is from memory but either her using it or others using it with her is well documented.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't know who told you it was a term of endearment in the Black community.... but they would be wrong. I've never heard of such nonsense. Its more likely that her constituents have always heard her referred to as Dr, and therefore referred to her the same way.
Besides Dr. Dre, Dr. J and Dr. Huxtable...oh, and a few Reverend Doctors I can't think of any other times when blacks called someone a doctor as a term of endearment.

Pretty sure people were repeating what they read or heard...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I pursue a doctorate degree part-time and currently ABD (all but dissertation) and would guess the same status as Vilma Leake. I've had other consultants beef me up to official doctorate for certain grants/bids (w/o my approval) to strengthen proposal credibility. Once it's casually tossed out there the end result is a ripple effect. If given the opportunity, I usually correct people but not always the case.

She's probably list completion of doctorate courses which provides an opportunity for someone to label her as doctor thus the ripple effect or misreference.
This has come up twice in the last 5 years or so. I really don't care what the voters call her. It looks to me that she completed the coursework many years ago and didn't go on to the thesis. That's a big step. But let me get back on track.

The person that is calling her Dr. is an elected schoolboard official. She damn well knows she isn't a doctor and she also knows there is strife when you address her that way in front of the public, press, and politicians and that tweet hit all of the above.

So maybe last year's report is a fluke. But i guarantee you that this government official in charge of our children's education is doing it for political reasons. And to show children that it is OK to lie when it comes to things like education when you are in charge of education should get her a swift kick in the butt. Instead, it will get both of them re-elected.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
Not so fast. She did officially use Dr. on the county pages.

Here is a snapshot from 2002 from archive.org of the Charlotte Mecklenburg School Board. It clearly says Dr. Vilma Leake. (It said the same thing about the University of SF then too.)

Charlotte - Mecklenburg Schools School Board

The nice thing about archive.org is they don't allow retroactive edits.
Good work. I wonder if all the nuttiest commissioners first served on the school board.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Man, I have been around educated, in fact highly educated people my whole life, and I have NEVER, EVER heard of someone referring to themselves as DR this or DR that without the actual credentials. Never.

In fact a relative of mine, with Two count them two PhD's refuses to responde to Dr. x. He's just that way, to him it is ostentatious.

I admire you for giving Dr Leake the benefit of the doubt, but it just did not go down that way.

I guess Dr Pepper is the exception!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
It's the only date that I checked because it was the first year that archive had the charmeck site archived. It's not an indication that it stopped then.
Yeah they changed the site after that and it's 404s. Probably could find it but my guess is she didn't stop using it until either the district scandal or the Mackey scandal.

In 2001 it didn't show "Dr." but in 2002 it did. That means that if she did complete the coursework (how? by mail?) in 2001 that's 12 years without finishing. Do those credits ever expire?

Oh whoops. From 2000: Thoughts on CMS Situation: VILMA LEAKE NOT A "DR."

The other thing that's hinted at in the link above is there was a PhD on the board. Must have been swell sharing the same rank with Leake. Another question would be, did she get paid extra for "having" her degree?

But that really isn't my main point. She's been through the ringer on this already. I only mention the dates to establish how far back it went and anyone in local politics knows better. I'm more concerend about the school board on this one.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Again, this is a common mistake and highly doubt she postured herself as a PhD. Anyone gleaning over her credentials could have seen the word "doctorate" and quickly labeled her as such which received a hyperlink on a website.

If she signed any document or official paper as doctor then that's reason to suspect misrepresentation. She should've been flagged and told to cease any representation as such, then promptly dismissed if not willing to comply.
I don't buy that for an elected official who should be aware of her webpage profile. Given time I could get minutes or other proof that would show her being addressed with that title in meetings. And again, we're not talking about a common mistake. We're talking about two political allies with similar goals and paths.

But the tweet overall doesn't mean much except as a political tool. Still, it irks me that an educator would stoop that low.

And considering an announcement like this from 2002 Rays100902 that says she is going to be somewhere for an opening (as school board member) and is listed as being a Dr. Surely she would be introduced that way by a county spokesperson just like it would be protocol for everyone to address her with that title.

The school board minutes archive is week. I can't see too far back in search engines. Anyway, I would love to get a hit where she explains it. If she used your explanation I'd give it more weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte