U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,219,216 times

Advertisements

I think high rises would fit right well in SouthPark. I can see something similar to Atlanta's Buckhead in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM

239 posts, read 311,347 times
Have the started contruction on any mid or high rises in SouthPark as of yet , or a DEFINITE plan in the near future?
If so, how many stories do they have?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 AM

209 posts, read 379,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Have the started contruction on any mid or high rises in SouthPark as of yet , or a DEFINITE plan in the near future?
If so, how many stories do they have?
Construction on Shannon Square has started, and their going to 5 stories I believe.
Videos | CharlotteObserver.com - Charlotte, North Carolina

The article I posted didn't list any particular plans yet, but said the demand is "following the young people who want to be high up." So in the distant future, I expect a couple of projects to be released.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,691,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No thank you on Highrises in SouthPark & pass on nightlife in SouthPark.

I just wanna throw up at the thought of skyscrapers in SouthPark.
I understand your being against highrise living in SouthPark, but this is inevitable, sooner or later! I'm sure everyone has known this for a long time that one day this will ultimately happen, especially after the SouthPark Mall expansion over a decade ago! Get used to it, there may be highrise development coming to a community near you as Charlotte continues to build upward and densify! One more thing, BRING ON THE NIGHTLIFE IN SOUTHPARK!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM

189 posts, read 286,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
Construction on Shannon Square has started, and their going to 5 stories I believe.
Videos | CharlotteObserver.com - Charlotte, North Carolina

The article I posted didn't list any particular plans yet, but said the demand is "following the young people who want to be high up." So in the distant future, I expect a couple of projects to be released.
As well as Circle at Southpark. A 5 story midrise apartment building on Carnegie

Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM

3,818 posts, read 3,314,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I understand your being against highrise living in SouthPark, but this is inevitable, sooner or later! I'm sure everyone has known this for a long time that one day this will ultimately happen, especially after the SouthPark Mall expansion over a decade ago! Get used to it, there may be highrise development coming to a community near you as Charlotte continues to build upward and densify! One more thing, BRING ON THE NIGHTLIFE IN SOUTHPARK!

Low rise density I'm fine with. Low rise density with night life I'm fine with.

30 story blue glasses Novare building; pass.

It will happen sooner or later but anything above 15 stories right now is too soon. The glamor of Southpark is the low rise density and lush green trees. A 25 story giant glass box doesn't fit in with SouthPark yet. And to be quite honest, I think any of the apartment/condo towers in uptown are a little tacky for SouthPark. Maybe tacky isn't the right word, but just wouldn't seem right as of now.

I am 100% on building up. That's what Uptown & SouthEnd & even Midtown are for. Let's leave Plaza, Dilworth, & Southpark out of the skyscraper boom (but bring on the density in those neighborhoods).

There is so much land in Uptown & SouthEnd... That's where 30 story buildings need to go.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,691,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Low rise density I'm fine with. Low rise density with night life I'm fine with.

30 story blue glasses Novare building; pass.

It will happen sooner or later but anything above 15 stories right now is too soon. The glamor of Southpark is the low rise density and lush green trees. A 25 story giant glass box doesn't fit in with SouthPark yet. And to be quite honest, I think any of the apartment/condo towers in uptown are a little tacky for SouthPark. Maybe tacky isn't the right word, but just wouldn't seem right as of now.

I am 100% on building up. That's what Uptown & SouthEnd & even Midtown are for. Let's leave Plaza, Dilworth, & Southpark out of the skyscraper boom (but bring on the density in those neighborhoods).

There is so much land in Uptown & SouthEnd... That's where 30 story buildings need to go.
You're problably right on that assessment, and I don't think highrise building will happen in SouthPark for at least another 5 or 10 years! I think city leaders want to limit highrise construction to Center City proper (Uptown, South End, Midtown, Elizabeth) and along North Tryon along the light rail line once the BLE expansion is completed in that area before venturing out to other areas with highrise contruction, IMO!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:47 PM

3,471 posts, read 4,357,318 times
Would be nice if they could put a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark, but I don't think there is room unless they could get Dick's Sporting Goods to move, like they did Sears a few years ago.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 PM

489 posts, read 730,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Would be nice if they could put a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark, but I don't think there is room unless they could get Dick's Sporting Goods to move, like they did Sears a few years ago.
Not likely to happen anytime soon. The entire state of Texas doesn't even have a Bloomingdales.

I always thought having another luxury shopping center uptown, with a Bloomingdales and/or Saks Fifth Ave would be awesome, with lot's of other retail. Not that I could afford to shop there, but to have another upscale shopping location, and add much needed retail to uptown. The 1st ward project (whenever that gets started) is supposed to have some, as well as the new SkyHouse building and midtown projects.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,387,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Not likely to happen anytime soon. The entire state of Texas doesn't even have a Bloomingdales.

I always thought having another luxury shopping center uptown, with a Bloomingdales and/or Saks Fifth Ave would be awesome, with lot's of other retail. Not that I could afford to shop there, but to have another upscale shopping location, and add much needed retail to uptown. The 1st ward project (whenever that gets started) is supposed to have some, as well as the new SkyHouse building and midtown projects.
When Macy's (Federated) took over May Company, I thought that they would convert the Hecht's at South Park into Bloomingdale's instead of Macy's. IMO they missed an opportunity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte