Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

I'm going there tonight and I think I remember there being a discussion on this type of sandwhich in the past. Anyone had it? Is it authentic? Really I wouldn't know so I guess I need to know if it's any good.

3 skewers of grilled marinated chicken or steak served on a toasted Italian hoagie.

(The spiedie (pron.: /'speeːdee/) is a dish local to Greater Binghamton in the Southern Tier of New York State, and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York state.)

The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer in a special spiedie marinade, then grilled on skewers.
Served with Choice of Side. 7.95/9.95

OTOH ribs sound good. Anyone had their ribs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
GCharlotte, I assume you're from Binghamton?
How was it? I've never been to Dilworth Grill but now I will have to give it a try.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
GCharlotte, I assume you're from Binghamton?
How was it? I've never been to Dilworth Grill but now I will have to give it a try.
No. I'm pretty much from here but I remember this being talked about. I couldn't resist the ribs though which were very good. I'll go for the spiedie next. I've never had one so I don't know what to compare it with.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 AM

Well, I could not resist the lure of Speidies and gave Dilworth Grill a shot the other night.
It turns out that the owners are from Binghamton so I guess it's not surprising to see them on the menu,.
What was surprising is to see that in addition to chicken they also have steak Speidies which are not very common even in the upstate NY area around Binghamton.
Speidies are more traditionally pork tenderloin, lamb and more recently chicken has also become very popular.

Being a bit of a purist I ordered the chicken and was pleasantly surprised that they were marinated and cooked perfectly.
I would have liked to see a bigger sub for the price (it was about an 8 inch sub)
I would have also liked a choice for pork Speidies.
But I'm admittedly being picayune here.....getting one of your favorite regional foods some 700+ miles from home and having it done well is quite a treat!

Thanks for the tip GCharlotte!!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Well, I could not resist the lure of Speidies and gave Dilworth Grill a shot the other night.
It turns out that the owners are from Binghamton so I guess it's not surprising to see them on the menu,.
What was surprising is to see that in addition to chicken they also have steak Speidies which are not very common even in the upstate NY area around Binghamton.
Speidies are more traditionally pork tenderloin, lamb and more recently chicken has also become very popular.

Being a bit of a purist I ordered the chicken and was pleasantly surprised that they were marinated and cooked perfectly.
I would have liked to see a bigger sub for the price (it was about an 8 inch sub)
I would have also liked a choice for pork Speidies.
But I'm admittedly being picayune here.....getting one of your favorite regional foods some 700+ miles from home and having it done well is quite a treat!

Thanks for the tip GCharlotte!!
This is great! I'm glad I waited. My mouth is watering now. I only discovered DNG last year (I think) and I like the variety and the fact that you can get stuff that's a bit off the beaten path. I certainly will go for this next time.

I also had Showmar's BBQ platter for the 2nd time in Pineville. Still surprised how good it is for a chain that doesn't specialize in BBQ.

I like hearing about the unexpected. The other place I found nice recently has been near me for years but I usually am not in the mood to eat while they are open. I found this to be fantastic:

Shuffletown Grill | 10220 Rozzelles Ferry Road Charlotte NC (704) 399-1968

Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM

A note to those who go to check out speidies:

You should keep a reasonable expectation of what they are and what to expect....
Speidies are by no means a gourmet dish, but rather a simple comfort/bar food sandwich in much the same way that a Carolina style BBQ sandwich ain't fancy...but the way it's cooked can make a big difference in how good it is.

There are more elaborate versions of a speidie sandwich such as Buffalo or Marsala etc. but what they serve at Dilworth is pretty traditional....just the juicy marinated meat on a bun, thanks.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
A note to those who go to check out speidies:

You should keep a reasonable expectation of what they are and what to expect....
Speidies are by no means a gourmet dish, but rather a simple comfort/bar food sandwich in much the same way that a Carolina style BBQ sandwich ain't fancy...but the way it's cooked can make a big difference in how good it is.

There are more elaborate versions of a speidie sandwich such as Buffalo or Marsala etc. but what they serve at Dilworth is pretty traditional....just the juicy marinated meat on a bun, thanks.
And just like that, I'm hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte