U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If there isn't enough food for lunch, why are there so many fat kids? Put another way, if so many kids are fat, why do they need more food for lunch?
XBox, Playstation.... no recess, PE where kids can't run or play dodgeball,, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, tag or other traditional games because it scares people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
XBox, Playstation.... no recess, PE where kids can't run or play dodgeball,, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, tag or other traditional games because it scares people.
And the way to solve that is that in a country that is so far in debt that we can't see the year 2200 in the black . . . is to serve everyone a free breakfast.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And the way to solve that is that in a country that is so far in debt that we can't see the year 2200 in the black . . . is to serve everyone a free breakfast.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Why not? We give Israel and all these other countries Billions of dollars... rebuilt Iraq, etc...

why not spend it on OUR kids?

I believe that children are the future
feed them well and let them lead the way!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,071,063 times
We didn't have the option of breakfast at all in my school. I don't want kids to go hungry, either, but I don't see how giving away food to everyone at the taxpayer's expense is a fiscally responsible idea. There will be a lot of food wasted and the money could be better spent on facilities or some other item.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Why not? We give Israel and all these other countries Billions of dollars... rebuilt Iraq, etc...

why not spend it on OUR kids?

I believe that children are the future
feed them well and let them lead the way!
I believe that children who are hungry prolly have parents on food stamps, and thus would be given a free breakfast under the "old" free breakfast/lunch program.

We are not talking about feeding only needy children . . . the program is for everyone. Heck, next thing we know, we will have free breakfast for all of us. Kind of like Russia under communism. Just go stand in the bread line, get your free loaf of bread.

Fine with me! Who cares that we owe a gazillion bermillion trillion dollars.

Get yer free food!

You were saying the reason everyone is fat, though, is b/c they are sitting inside playing vid games. I have no doubt that is at least partially to blame. Just seems really strange that fat kids on food stamps who need a free breakfast still have the money to buy a Playstation.

????

Yes, children are our future . . . too bad so many are being raised without any physical activity.

I can't even hire - at any price! - a high school kid to come mow my lawn.

Maybe I should offer them 2 free hours play time on my son's Play Station or a World of Warcraft monthly subscription card.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Actually you have a point in there. In thinking about this, I would much MUCH rather have aid in the schools directly benefitting the children then issue food stamps/welfare etc. I may get flamed for this but I don't mind the free breakfast/lunch if we can reduce the food stamp program to reflect that. I know it's impossible but it's a pipe dream.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
We didn't have the option of breakfast at all in my school. I don't want kids to go hungry, either, but I don't see how giving away food to everyone at the taxpayer's expense is a fiscally responsible idea. There will be a lot of food wasted and the money could be better spent on facilities or some other item.

Hunger in the class room is a serious issue. I think feeding kids is a good way to waste of money.

...and darn near every school I ride by is building new facilities. There will always be a 'better way to spend money" and there will always be some other item.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
There's no way to tell which kids are on the program in the lunchroom. There is a machine at the register where you input your pin number and done. All kids use the pin machine. Only way to tell us you can not get extras like the 'paying' kids do such as chips/dessert etc. I know this because I couldn't figure out why my kid was running out of her lunch money I deposited in her account monthly. Turned out she felt sorry for the one of her friends that couldn't get ice cream so she was buying her an ice cream every day. So I guess it might be obvious that way if kid is the only one without a treat. But I still don't understand the free breakfast and how that's supposed to remove the 'stigma'?
That is so sweet of your daughter! Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe it's a good idea but factually unbalanced. That actually isn't a good sign.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Actually you have a point in there. In thinking about this, I would much MUCH rather have aid in the schools directly benefitting the children then issue food stamps/welfare etc. I may get flamed for this but I don't mind the free breakfast/lunch if we can reduce the food stamp program to reflect that. I know it's impossible but it's a pipe dream.
I don't mind children who are hungry getting a free breakfast and a free lunch.

It's all the other folks who don't even necessarily WANT that breakfast (free or not) and have no financial need for a free breakfast that leaves me scratching my head. We are going to offer it free to everyone so some of the kids don't feel bad about getting it free?

Kids know if they are living in poverty, whether anyone else sees them partake of a free breakfast or not.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM

I'm sorry but anyone who opposes feeding kids breakfast....well, I'll keep that to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or