U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,639,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I can picture cheap, substandard food being offered, and the cost difference being used somewhere else - a potential abuse, according to the article. Cue songs from "Oliver!".

Wow, one board member who understands there's no such thing as a free lu... er, breakfast.
Well, technically it can't be substandard thanks to the feds creating the standards. But there's an interesting backfire as govco has mandated the meals contain more whole grains, fruits and vegetables. The law of unintended consequences demands an accounting. Therefore what is happening with some kids is they are getting less calories than RDA recommended because they won't eat what they don't like. Surely someone saw that coming.

Summer Meals | No Kid Hungry | North Carolina is another program that feeds kids up to and including the age 18 no questions asked during the summer. This is funded by the USDA but like you said it's still taxpayer money. I like the idea of ending hunger and the schools have the facilities to prepare the meals of course. I don't know if I feel that the bad part is that the schools shouldn't be social agencies or be thankful that govco found a way to do this.

The cynic in me also wonders about subsidizing food stamps through a backdoor. We can either give out less because of these types of programs or people on food stamps can eat better (or at least more) because they can conserve by using these programs.

Same thing happens with government salaries for the working poor. There are plenty of families that work for local governments that qualify and do enroll for food stamps. To me, that gives govco an incentive to underpay because they know the feds will end up making up for part of it. But I try not to be a cynic all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
We didn't have the option of breakfast at all in my school. I don't want kids to go hungry, either, but I don't see how giving away food to everyone at the taxpayer's expense is a fiscally responsible idea. There will be a lot of food wasted and the money could be better spent on facilities or some other item.
This makes me wonder about capacity too. Lunches are staggered (I assume still). Not everyone goes at once. I wonder what the seating capacity is in a cafeteria and if that will be strained. I guess you can wait in line for a seat.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are not talking about feeding only needy children . . . the program is for everyone. Heck, next thing we know, we will have free breakfast for all of us. Kind of like Russia under communism. Just go stand in the bread line, get your free loaf of bread.
Next thing you know we'll be handing out free condoms to kids that aren't having sex.

There is a kind of bread line at DSS and it's one of the saddest yet coolest things I've ever seen. At certain points a cart is rolled out that has bread and pastries to the lobby where clients waiting for service can help themselves. I assume the items are donated by local stores or bakeries.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
I swear things have changed, when is there time to eat breakfast before class session. I always thought lunch was breakfast during school anyways as I thought it was early. I remember lunch served in 11 am hour. In elementary it was around 10:30 am.
During my junior year there was this optional breakfast served out of the concession stand in commissary (lunch room) at 7:30 I think it had fruit dougnuts or muffins. I dont know that would mean getting to school earlier and waking up earlier,
As a teen I chose sleep over breakfast. I dont remember what I did for breakfast but I think it involved a bowl of cereal and go.

On this thread topic, is this free breakfast a schedule time required time that students have to report and go in segments similar how lunch was done for us?
I also agree this seem like an avenue for waste and nothing is free.
Will it be a hot breakfast like eggs or oatmeal or cold breakfast such as fruit and muffins?

IMO if it going to be a free breakfast give them a protein bar and milk and go.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
It doesn't help that the PE activity in school is stacking cups. I kid you not. The teacher told my son "it builds agility".

It does build agility. My 14 month old loves to stack cups.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I swear things have changed, when is there time to eat breakfast before class session. I always thought lunch was breakfast during school anyways as I thought it was early. I remember lunch served in 11 am hour. In elementary it was around 10:30 am.
During my junior year there was this optional breakfast served out of the concession stand in commissary (lunch room) at 7:30 I think it had fruit dougnuts or muffins. I dont know that would mean getting to school earlier and waking up earlier,
As a teen I chose sleep over breakfast. I dont remember what I did for breakfast but I think it involved a bowl of cereal and go.

On this thread topic, is this free breakfast a schedule time required time that students have to report and go in segments similar how lunch was done for us?
Will it be a hot breakfast like eggs or oatmeal or cold breakfast such as fruit and muffins?

IMO it would make sense to have fruit cups, milk, and a bagel or toast. I doubt there will be a spread of omlette's and grits with thick bacon.

Back when I was in school the cafeteria had bagels or toast for .50 cents... this was before homeroom.

I don't think this should be mandatory.. it should be optional.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Well, like I said earlier - hunger is a real problem and no child should go hungry. Heck, I don't think any adult should go hungry!

But I do question giving breakfast to everyone when there are those who can afford to pay for their own breakfast, have eaten at home, etc.

I support food banks - and hope folks take advantage of it, no questions asked.

I used to have a day old bread store near where I lived and bought products there - and froze them. Helps on the grocery bill.

I don't think anyone is questioning that hungry children are given free meals.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM

910 posts, read 1,164,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Documents

The summer school breakfast and lunch menus are located on that page.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM

820 posts, read 1,528,968 times
I have a number of mixed emotions about this. As a 10 year old who lost his dad and my mother had no formal job training and she got no insurance at his death. However, my mom always made sure I had breakfast that included protein (egg) and carbs (Frosted Flakes was my fav) before she went off to work in school cafeteria. From her, I learned the importance of a balanced breakfast. She was broke and poor, but she always found money to buy food, even if it was the basics, beans, rice, mac & cheese. Lunch was a sandwich and a cookie or carrots. I have no tolerance for parents/guardians who let "the system" take care of their kids - part of the now entitlement generation. Where will it end? When producers finally give up and say "give me mine, too" where does this country go from there? Just asking.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Back when I was in school the cafeteria had bagels or toast for .50 cents... this was before homeroom.
Frosted Flakes in a plastic bowl! Man those were a pain to open sometimes. I vaguely have a memory of paper straws. Can that possibly be right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or