Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times

Advertisements

If you ever get anything from Verizon Wireless, even as small as a $5.00 adapter, you will be required to sign for the FedEx package. The FedEx lady in my neighborhood looked a bit harried the last time iPhones were released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Maybe, but you'd most likely have to pay for it. I don't care about signing for it (unless it's a very expensive item), and I don't care if they leave if no one answers the door in 5 seconds.
I'm not really sure why it really matters if they wait those 5 seconds then, if you don't mind your packages being left outside. Waiting 5 seconds to see if someone is home, isn't going to stop your package from being stolen, or from being delivered to the wrong house. What if they deliver it to a house where no one is home, or to someone who takes more than 5 seconds to get to the door? I don't really see the problem as long as they at least knock or ring the door bell. That way if you are home, you are alerted to the package being there, and are able to retrieve it. If you're not home, it was just going to sit there anyway, so whats the big deal?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
It's not a big deal, I guess I would just think waiting a couple seconds would be a common courtesy. And I also posted another example where actually ringing the bell would have saved them time, so it's not always a timesaving tactic. Maybe the drivers have fond memories of playing "knock knock zoom zoom" as a kid.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If you ever get anything from Verizon Wireless, even as small as a $5.00 adapter, you will be required to sign for the FedEx package. The FedEx lady in my neighborhood looked a bit harried the last time iPhones were released.
This is changed. They are now using USPS including phone replacements. That actually makes me nervous because the "replacement value" of my phone is $600 and I'm on my 4th and 5% of my mail goes to the wrong house.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Even if they wait 5 seconds, who is going to answer the door in that short period of time unless they're watching the driver from a nearby window? I know it would take us more time than that to get to the front door from the rooms we typically use everyday in our house.

Plus, once you answer the door you are probably going to have some sort of conversation, albeit a greeting or a chat. This too adds time to the whole delivery. Add in the part too that initiating human contact by ringing the bell and waiting may also cause unintended contact with not so friendly dogs and other distractions from within the house.

These guys (and gals) are pushed to deliver more, more, more just as many of us are in our jobs. There is no need for the delivery guys to ring the bell anymore. The days of paper signature receipts are long gone. Unless the package is marked 'signature required', they are 100% correct to place it by the door and ring the bell as a courtesy.

Two more scenarios... Many homes are dual income households and there may not be anyone home during the delivery hours to answer the door. Ringing the bell and waiting will only add to his non-value added time causing less deliveries for him that day. Then in our case, we don't answer the door bell unless we're expecting someone. I wouldn't want a delivery guy standing out there waiting on me when odds are that I won't be answering the door anyway.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I prefer they don't wait for me as it's usually delivered first thing in the morning and I am not fully dressed. I don't have to rush to throw on clothes to be presentable. (And no I refuse to answer in a robe/decent pants/shirt pj's, I.just.can't.do.it)

Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
These guys (and gals) are pushed to deliver more, more, more just as many of us are in our jobs. There is no need for the delivery guys to ring the bell anymore.
If I pay for a time-sensitive delivery (say, FedEx First Overnight) which can cost 10-times that of a regular Ground service, then I expect my doorbell rung. After all, what's the point in the courier going to the trouble of moving a package 3,000 miles in, say, 8 hrs, only for it to sit 1-yard short because the recipient is still blissfully unaware of it's arrival?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
If I pay for a time-sensitive delivery (say, FedEx First Overnight) which can cost 10-times that of a regular Ground service, then I expect my doorbell rung. After all, what's the point in the courier going to the trouble of moving a package 3,000 miles in, say, 8 hrs, only for it to sit 1-yard short because the recipient is still blissfully unaware of it's arrival?
My mistake. I meant there is no need for the delivery guy to ring the bell and then wait for an answer. I agree the doorbell should be rung to announce the package.

Additionally, if I was expecting something that critical, I'd be all over their website tracking its progress too.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Additionally, if I was expecting something that critical, I'd be all over their website tracking its progress too.
Yup.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
I was told that both company policies were changed several years ago. That policy says to leave package, ring doorbell/knock and leave. Apparently, face to face contact lead to too much yapping and not enough delivering. The only time they wait is if a signature is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: