Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 26,521 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My family is relocating to Charlotte for work later this summer andwe really could use some helpful insights. We are two professionals in our late30s, two small children (incoming 1st grader and 3 year old), two dogs, and acat! We will both work uptown. We have visited several times with a realtor butwithout really living there day-to-day, it's hard to feel confident about adecision. We really liked the community feel and lots in Tega Cay, and thehomes that are zoned to the Providence, and/or Myers Park High Schools.Matthews seems nice. We are interested in a community that is safe (so our kidscan play in the cul de sac with neighbor kids and so that we can walk our dogsany time of the day/night without looking over our shoulders), has excellentschools, decent space (.25 acre+) where we feel like we are in the country butstill within 30 minutes of uptown. Walking to restaurants or grocery stores isnot important to us - but a neighborhood where we can lace up our shoes and gofor a nice run is. Our budget is around $450k. We haven't really explored northof the city.

If this description belonged to your closest friend, what advice andrecommendations would you give him/her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefam View Post
Hi all. My family is relocating to Charlotte for work later this summer andwe really could use some helpful insights. We are two professionals in our late30s, two small children (incoming 1st grader and 3 year old), two dogs, and acat! We will both work uptown. We have visited several times with a realtor butwithout really living there day-to-day, it's hard to feel confident about adecision. We really liked the community feel and lots in Tega Cay, and thehomes that are zoned to the Providence, and/or Myers Park High Schools.Matthews seems nice. We are interested in a community that is safe (so our kidscan play in the cul de sac with neighbor kids and so that we can walk our dogsany time of the day/night without looking over our shoulders), has excellentschools, decent space (.25 acre+) where we feel like we are in the country butstill within 30 minutes of uptown. Walking to restaurants or grocery stores isnot important to us - but a neighborhood where we can lace up our shoes and gofor a nice run is. Our budget is around $450k. We haven't really explored northof the city.

If this description belonged to your closest friend, what advice andrecommendations would you give him/her?
Look in Belmont & Cramerton in Gaston County for homes zoned to Cramerton Middle School. I know you don't need middle school now, but you will.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Explore north of the city too. Cabarrus County areas right around the Cabarrus/Meck line. I would stay on the Cabarrus side. Look in Odell or Cox Mill elementary districts. That would give you a few neighborhoods - Skybrook (Cabarrus Side), Winding Walk, Highland Creek (Cabarrus Side), Moss Creek, Cannon Crossing,and if you are interested in building Waterford Hall or Waterford Enclave.

My husband did the commute to and from the Uptown area. We've lived north of the city in two of the neighborhods I mentioned. I have two young kids and one starts K in August. We love it in this area and there's plenty to do and restaurants and grocery stores close by. There's also plenty of places to run and feel very safe doing it.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM

14 posts, read 26,521 times
Thank you very much for your advice. Any other recommendations for south of the city?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Another former buckeye here..you might consider the Weddington area. One subdivision you should look at that meets your criteria, has many young families, amenities and zoned for the excellent Weddington schools is Brookhaven, located in Matthews (Union County). I am not a realtor but this is a nice video of the neighborhood
Brookhaven, Indian Trail NC Homes 4 Sale in Union County (Matthews NC 28104 Mailing Address) - YouTube .

http://www.jwhomes.com/FindYourHome/...ghborhoodid=43

Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM

430 posts, read 804,457 times
The northern parts of Union County might be 30 minutes to the city, but I think it's pushing it a bit. I love living in Union County, and I think it'd definitely fit your needs outside of the commute. Great neighborhoods, there are plenty with space between the houses, plenty in that price range, and there are a ton of great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte