Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy67 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move from Northern Va to either Charlotte (Lake Norman area) or VA Beach. We have young kids (elementary and middle school age)...and we LOVE the water. We want a waterfront home (under $550,000) so Lake Norman was a great choice - but then we love the beach too! We're considering Lynnhaven as there are lots of water inlets there and we'd be close to the beach...but not sure how good the schools are there. Charoltte, on the other hand, I've heard schools are excellent and it's a great place to raise a family...but there's no beach - but we'd live at Lake Norman...so...any thoughts as to which would be best for the family? We would work in Charlotte or Norfolk (have job prospects in both). Any opinions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated...tired of the DC fast pace, traffic and headaches!
I don't think you can get a beachfront home for $550k, you probably will need to spend somewhere approaching $1,000,000 to be on water. The west side of Lake Norman may offer you properties that are lower in cost though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering a move from Northern Va to either Charlotte (Lake Norman area) or VA Beach. We have young kids (elementary and middle school age)...and we LOVE the water. We want a waterfront home (under $550,000) so Lake Norman was a great choice - but then we love the beach too! We're considering Lynnhaven as there are lots of water inlets there and we'd be close to the beach...but not sure how good the schools are there. Charoltte, on the other hand, I've heard schools are excellent and it's a great place to raise a family...but there's no beach - but we'd live at Lake Norman...so...any thoughts as to which would be best for the family? We would work in Charlotte or Norfolk (have job prospects in both). Any opinions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated...tired of the DC fast pace, traffic and headaches!
We moved from Fredericksburg, VA 10 years ago (orginially from Dale City, grew up there). We love it down here. I think you will also, very similiar. The weather is a bit nicer, as well as the people (for the most part). Homes near Lake Norman are very nice, we thought about purchasing up there, but decided to stay closer to DH's office (4 miles). We did the commute from Fredericksburg to the Fort Belvoir area for way too long (leaving at 5:30am was getting old). Didn't want to get into the same situation (alot of growth down here). Schools are pretty good, they are a bit behind (compared to N.Va), we put our boys in Honors classes (AP also available at most schools). The west side of Lake Norman, I've heard is nice. It's about a 6 hour drive, which is well worth it to spend a long weekend driving around the area. As I said, we love it, a much better place to raise a family than Fredericksburg (surrounding area). Our boys are older teens, one is graduating from HS next weekend, and the other is finishing up 10th grade. They both went to cms schools and have received a great education.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
If you love the beach and have the opportunity to live by one I would pick the beach. The lake is nice but it's not the beach.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,597 times
Lake Norman isn't bad, but the chances of landing a waterfront home for $550k were gone many years ago. I looked 3 years ago and the best "waterfront" home I could find started at $600k and it wasn't really waterfront. It was "mud-front" and only at the higher pond levels. The rest of the time it was just crazy buggy because it literally had a mucky swamp in your backyard.

In order to get true main channel waterfront with a dock on LKN, you'd better be prepared for seven figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: