U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 17,485 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My family of 4 will be relocating to Charlotte from NJ. We were down over this past weekend and looked at a ton of communities/subdivision in the Matthews/Mint Hill area...liking both areas we are trying to narrow down our choices.
side note...we are a biracial family American/Filipino so we want to make sure we will feel accepted as well with the community and schools we choose.

We have heard good things about Porter Ridge Schools...My kids will be starting kindergarten and first grade...so I had a few questions.

1. Is kindergarten full day? What are your thoughts on curriculum...compared to other schools.

2. What are the subdivisons that are zoned for all three porter ridge schools...i am finding a lot of the communities go to PR middle and HS but Poplin for elementary..thoughts on Poplin vs PR?

3. Park Lake Village looks like it is zoned for all three PR schools...thoughts on Park Lake (we will buying a single family home). I heard this community is like its own town. This was one of the areas that we did not get a chance to see yet....next visit.

4. Any other communities (in Indian Trail) that you would recommend us looking into in order to attend PR schools.

Thanks for your time
Amy
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM

111 posts, read 281,735 times
The Porter Ridge district is great. I have family that attends both PRHS and Poplin. They attended PRMS and PRES as well. Good teachers. Good students. I'd highly recommend it! Neighborhood wise, I would also check out Bonterra, Annendale, and Fieldstone Farms. They are right off Poplin Rd, all right next to each other. They are also very close to the schools.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Thank you I will look into those communties as welll. Bonterra developers built the " Bonterra community" correct? thanks again

Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM

423 posts, read 664,999 times
I'm on the other side of the county, so I don't have a ton of info, but I believe all Kindergartens are full time. I also know a lot of mommies seem to really like Fieldstone Farm. If you are definitely moving to Union County, check out UnionCountyMommies.com for another resource. There's 800 members on there, so you'll get a lot of thoughts on neighborhoods and the schools.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 5,004 times
There are a lot of kids in Fieldstone and they seem to love it. Teachers are suppose to be good. There seems to be a good bit of families with elementary children here. I do not think Fieldstone would disappoint you.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM

925 posts, read 1,861,065 times
My children go to Porter Ridge Schools and they love it. The teachers are fantastic. There is a new subdivison that we are possibly building in near the schools called Glendalough. The builder is Ryan homes. You might check them out as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM

thank you..this is all very helpful. going to check out unioncountymommies now....have only heard of fieldstone on here...i will look at this area and glendalough community tonight.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM

If you go to Glendalough, talk to Kim. She's wonderful. She's on vacation until Thursday 6-21. There prices just went up from the price listed on the internet, I believe, but not that much. Really nice houses and lots of kids in the subdivision.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM

houses in the subdivision look really nice....is monroe more of a rural area or similar to mint hill. i plan to go back at the end of august so i will look for kim. thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM

It depends on what area of Monroe you are in. The area near downtown is not a nice area. Older and rundown. Not Porter Ridge Schools. The area near the schools, which is Indian Trail, is/was rural, some farmland, but it being built up. To the east of Monroe is Unionville. The schools there are Union county and good as well. The middle school and high school are Piedmont. That is where my older son goes. We were rezoned, so my elementary student goes to Porter Ridge and my middle schooler, actually he starts high school next year, goes to Piedmont. I like them both and really don't have a preference. If you are looking for land and space that would be the area to be in. What subdivision were you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte