U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,149,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Feels like a big town. I was attacked for saying that before though.
I think that's what most people like about Charlotte...some big city amenities without all the big city mess/hassle. It probably feels/looks the 70s Atlanta (back when they thought it was a city). At least that's what I prefer. However, seems this big town is quickly morphing into a small urban city and 15-10 years from now will probably not feel like a big town. Hopefully, by that time, I will have settled in a lovely little golf village on the southeastern NC coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

17 posts, read 37,576 times
I came from Chicago and Charlotte feels like a big town to me but I love that town feeling.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,149,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopomofo View Post
I came from Chicago and Charlotte feels like a big town to me but I love that town feeling.
I always kid my friends from other "big" southern cities. Compared to NYC, every other "big" southern city (Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas) feels like a big town...NYC is a monster.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM

21,974 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I always kid my friends from other "big" southern cities. Compared to NYC, every other "big" southern city (Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas) feels like a big town...NYC is a monster.
LOL, if NYC is the standard, then there are no other cities in this country.

You've been to Philly. Wander on foot from Independence Hall through Society Hill to Head House Square. Where does it feel more similar to - NYC or Charleston?

You hit the nail on the head. Urbanization looks different depending on who did the building & when the growth occurred.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Uptown Charlotte often feels like a movie set to me. The place is nearly deserted and very quiet on weekends during the day, unless there is some special event going on. During the winter, especially, it is soooo quiet . . .

Things do change after the sun sets.

To me, a city doesnt feel like a city if it isn't bustling on the weekends, during the day.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM

106 posts, read 152,767 times
Whether CLT is a city or town depends upon perspective.

I say that it definitely has some big city problems as demonstrated in the classroom of a city public high school last month. The teacher knew better than to even try. Waste of time. I predict that CLT will be headed to the same situation as many other larger cities. It becomes a doughnut by population because nobody wants to live around this.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM

78 posts, read 77,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uptown Charlotte often feels like a movie set to me. The place is nearly deserted and very quiet on weekends during the day, unless there is some special event going on. During the winter, especially, it is soooo quiet . . .

Things do change after the sun sets.

To me, a city doesnt feel like a city if it isn't bustling on the weekends, during the day.

This won't change until Uptown has retail options that aren't bars/restaurants. Hopefully that will be changing very soon, I think Uptown is hitting critical mass in that regard.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM

239 posts, read 311,171 times
Charlotte's BIG TOWN feel is directly attributable to its TERRAIN. Usually cities that have a hilly terrain loaded with have more of a "small town" feel.
In contrast, you can have a city the EXACT same size as Charlotte, but with the terrain of Houston, tx (extrememly flat, not filled with trees everywhere), and BOOM...you have a BIG-city feel.

Charlotte, to me, is a big city. BUT, they the city is laid out...its not very OPEN. It gives you a UTOPIA type of feeling because the area is heavily wooded and hilly.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,042,083 times
I think it depends on where you came from. Now living in OKC, Charlotte to me feels like a big city. I can see why it would feel like a town though coming from somewhere much larger and more urban. When I lived in Charlotte I knew people from Chicago and New York who complained about it being too small. For me, the size of Charlotte was just right.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,315,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think that's what most people like about Charlotte...some big city amenities without all the big city mess/hassle. It probably feels/looks the 70s Atlanta (back when they thought it was a city). At least that's what I prefer. However, seems this big town is quickly morphing into a small urban city and 15-10 years from now will probably not feel like a big town. Hopefully, by that time, I will have settled in a lovely little golf village on the southeastern NC coast.
When I say big town, I mean big-time town, IMO.

Getting to work while living in Charlotte was great!!! The town/all around suburban feel allowed for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or