U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,048,482 times
Reputation: 4482

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's the sign of a good city... imagine if you had to drive all over Charlotte every time you needed a basic item.

When I lived in NYC I met people who NEVER left Brooklyn.
I agree. One thing that's great about Charlotte is the different areas function as one and you can live/work/and play there. I lived in Matthews and did most of my shopping/dining in either Pineville or the Southpark area. I went uptown and to Southend and NoDA for nightlife, but as far as everything day to day I had it all pretty much where I lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I live in University City and I feel so disconnected with the rest of Charlotte. This side of town has everything I need and I do not work Uptown. The only time I go Uptown is to probably hang out and Charlotte feels so spread out. I identify more with my side of town than I do the rest of Charlotte. I haven't even been to Ballantyne in over a year. lol. Don't know if anyone feels this way, like Charlotte doesn't feel like one, but instead of a bunch of towns into one. Since I'm close to a lot of shopping, my job, and even some entertainment I feel like I live in a city of about 200,000 people ONLY because I don't need to travel all over Charlotte. Now when I have to go the opposite side of town, then I realize how big of an area it is.
This is actually one reason why I don't care too much for the University area: it feels very disconnected from the core of the city and is basically all bland suburbia. I don't mind living in a part of a city with its own amenities, but I want to at least feel connected to the core where most of the activity is. I don't want to have to travel all over the city but I do want to have convenient access to Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,780 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is actually one reason why I don't care too much for the University area: it feels very disconnected from the core of the city and is basically all bland suburbia. I don't mind living in a part of a city with its own amenities, but I want to at least feel connected to the core where most of the activity is. I don't want to have to travel all over the city but I do want to have convenient access to Uptown.
Lynx will change that in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,319 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is actually one reason why I don't care too much for the University area: it feels very disconnected from the core of the city and is basically all bland suburbia. I don't mind living in a part of a city with its own amenities, but I want to at least feel connected to the core where most of the activity is. I don't want to have to travel all over the city but I do want to have convenient access to Uptown.

But what you have to understand is that most people live in areas like Matthews, University, and Ballantyne because you are DISCONNECTED from all of the big-city life. That is the PURPOSE of suburbs...to live IN the area, but not apart of all of the hussle and bussle.

Im not sure where you are from....but some people DO like their PEACE and quiteness and DO NOT want to be connected to the core of the city.LIKE MYSELF< lots of people like the serenity of suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
But what you have to understand is that most people live in areas like Matthews, University, and Ballantyne because you are DISCONNECTED from all of the big-city life. That is the PURPOSE of suburbs...to live IN the area, but not apart of all of the hussle and bussle.

Im not sure where you are from....but some people DO like their PEACE and quiteness and DO NOT want to be connected to the core of the city.LIKE MYSELF< lots of people like the serenity of suburbia.
Of course that's a part of it, but the "hustle and bustle" is more perception than reality. Sure you get that during working hours, but not a whole lot outside of that. The hustle and bustle then transfers to the interstates and major thoroughfares leading to the suburbs. I'd say in a city like Charlotte which is far from a 24-hour city with round-the-clock activity in the urban core, people choose the 'burbs for two major reasons: lower housing costs and better schools. Otherwise, heading into Uptown from the 'burbs in the AM and back in the PM puts you smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,780 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course that's a part of it, but the "hustle and bustle" is more perception than reality. Sure you get that during working hours, but not a whole lot outside of that. The hustle and bustle then transfers to the interstates and major thoroughfares leading to the suburbs. I'd say in a city like Charlotte which is far from a 24-hour city with round-the-clock activity in the urban core, people choose the 'burbs for two major reasons: lower housing costs and better schools. Otherwise, heading into Uptown from the 'burbs in the AM and back in the PM puts you smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle all the way around.
Every city in America has the commuter hustle and bustle...

When people talk about "hustle and bustle" most are talking about off hours... the after 5 crowds and on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Every city in America has the commuter hustle and bustle...

When people talk about "hustle and bustle" most are talking about off hours... the after 5 crowds and on weekends.
You might get that in Uptown proper at times, but not very much of that is going on in the residential sections of in-town neighborhoods. I used to live in Dilworth and the only time real hustle and bustle came near my dwelling was during the Greek Festival. Otherwise, the neighborhood was just as quiet as any soulless subdivision in UC, Steele Creek, Fort Mill, etc. But I had easier and quicker access to things to see and do within the core of the city. It was a win/win for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,780 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You might get that in Uptown proper at times, but not very much of that is going on in the residential sections of in-town neighborhoods. I used to live in Dilworth and the only time real hustle and bustle came near my dwelling was during the Greek Festival. Otherwise, the neighborhood was just as quiet as any soulless subdivision in UC, Steele Creek, Fort Mill, etc. But I had easier and quicker access to things to see and do within the core of the city. It was a win/win for me.
what you described is GOOD city planning.

Residential sections inside of the city loop SHOULD be quiet and a few blocks from heavy foot traffic. Why would tons of people walk down residential streets? What is there to buy? LOL...

..and I doubt it was the same as a soulless subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what you described is GOOD city planning.

Residential sections inside of the city loop SHOULD be quiet and a few blocks from heavy foot traffic. Why would tons of people walk down residential streets? What is there to buy? LOL...
Precisely. Hence my argument that people who move to the 'burbs mainly do so for lower housing costs and better schools, not because neighborhoods closer to the core have a lot of hustle and bustle to be avoided.

Quote:
..and I doubt it was the same as a soulless subdivision.
I said that the vast majority of the time, my neighborhood in Dilworth was just as quiet as your normal cookie-cutter subdivision. The similarities end there for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM
 
19 posts, read 16,008 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Not sure why someone from Chicago or NYC would complain about the obvious.
Because the marketing that is given to Charlotte creates an expectation of a little more than a big town feel. I visited Charlotte & Raleigh last April. I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte and of the two I would pick Charlotte because I'm from a very nice Chicago suburb and Charlotte is the closest thing to that for me. I am a little concerned about what I'll do for night life- that is when I would drive to Chicago. I supposed I'll enjoy what is there in Charlotte but for an all out experience I could always head to Atlanta here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top