U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM

162 posts, read 180,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream View Post
Because the marketing that is given to Charlotte creates an expectation of a little more than a big town feel. I visited Charlotte & Raleigh last April. I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte and of the two I would pick Charlotte because I'm from a very nice Chicago suburb and Charlotte is the closest thing to that for me. I am a little concerned about what I'll do for night life- that is when I would drive to Chicago. I supposed I'll enjoy what is there in Charlotte but for an all out experience I could always head to Atlanta here and there.
Why did you move from the suburb of chicago? [I'm assuming you're covered by the METRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM

11,794 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream View Post
Because the marketing that is given to Charlotte creates an expectation of a little more than a big town feel. I visited Charlotte & Raleigh last April. I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte and of the two I would pick Charlotte because I'm from a very nice Chicago suburb and Charlotte is the closest thing to that for me. I am a little concerned about what I'll do for night life- that is when I would drive to Chicago. I supposed I'll enjoy what is there in Charlotte but for an all out experience I could always head to Atlanta here and there.
ehhh, that's what marketing is supposed to do. If Charlotte marketed itself as a big town it would stay a big town. It's definitely a mid sized city...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The trees has something to do with it, but it also has a lot to do with where a person lives in Charlotte. For example, a person who lives within 3-5 miles of Trade/Tryon probably feel as though they live in a mid-sized US city. However, a person who is 7-12 miles out from uptown (Charlotte has many areas of the city limits that far out) probably feels like they're in a suburb of a city. The mentality of a Charlottean with a 1500, 2500, or 4000 address is different from that of a 7000, 9000, and 12000 address resident. The latter are suburbanites living within Charlotte's city limits; the former are not suburbanites in most cases.

Also, you can tell who the suburban-minded people are on this forum just by their responses to certain OPs.

OP Says...
Hi, I'm looking for an area of town with decent mass transit, local restaurants (not chains), affordable rentals, walkable with parks, and somewhat decent night life.

Suburban minded poster's response...
Try another city because you won't find any of that in Charlotte.

^^^Why do they respond this way? Short answer; it's not the "Charlotte" they associate themselves with on a daily basis therefore they have no clue that it exists. If by chance they do know about such areas, they only know about them by quick-glance on their way to a cul-de-sac on "10485 BFE Lane". I mean really; how can a person know about the walkable/bike-able areas of Charlotte if they've never biked or walked them? It says a lot when I board the light rail with my bike and someone says "gee, I didn't know you could bring bikes on the train". I'm thinking to myself "gee, I wonder if you're sharing your knowledge of Charlotte on sites like city-data".

In a city full of transplants (many of them choosing to live in parts of Charlotte that were annexed less than a decade ago), it's easy to understand why most folks don't think of Charlotte as being a city. Then again, the word "city" has a very negative connotation often times. To many folks, a "city" is a place with non-stop traffic, few trees, people living in apartments, pollution, high crime etc. On that alone, Charlotte really isn't a "city"; which is a good thing. People are leaving the so-called "real cities" of America in large numbers. I see no reason why Charlotte should even try to become something that is so unpopular to the educated work force out there. I think Charlotte should grow and become more "city-like" in certain areas, but Charlotte as a whole should also retain the laid-back suburban feel that attracted so many here in the first place.

IMO, Charlotte is a "city", but it's not the old-urban city that most people think about. It's more of a smaller Atlanta-like type of city. Over time (as areas like Southend, Elizabeth, and Dilworth become more numerous) Charlotte will feel more old-urban/city-like. This will happen within the next 15-20 years; fueled mostly by the city's rapidly changing demographics and politics. Many folks who like Charlotte now will not like the Charlotte of tomorrow. I suspect that these people will find homes in Rock Hill, Concord, and the likes. On the other hand, folks who currently snub Charlotte for cities like Denver and Minneapolis will probably give Charlotte a second look in 15-20 years.
Ani, it's popping on the weekends well after your bedtime.
Once again, another exceleent post, I always enjoy your insights on Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or