Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think it depends on where you came from. Now living in OKC, Charlotte to me feels like a big city. I can see why it would feel like a town though coming from somewhere much larger and more urban. When I lived in Charlotte I knew people from Chicago and New York who complained about it being too small. For me, the size of Charlotte was just right.
Not sure why someone from Chicago or NYC would complain about the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
This won't change until Uptown has retail options that aren't bars/restaurants. Hopefully that will be changing very soon, I think Uptown is hitting critical mass in that regard.
You are exactly right! And I hope this will change soon, too! I like strolling in a city with things bustling around on a Saturday morning . . . stopping in at a bookstore, having a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe, eating brunch on a porch, maybe . . . taking in a new exhibit at a museum . . . checking out a boutique . . . folks out walking their dogs . . .

I am not complaining. I get some of that feel in South Park on the weekends. Just not particularly uptown Charlotte.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are exactly right! And I hope this will change soon, too! I like strolling in a city with things bustling around on a Saturday morning . . . stopping in at a bookstore, having a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe, eating brunch on a porch, maybe . . . taking in a new exhibit at a museum . . . checking out a boutique . . . folks out walking their dogs . . .

I am not complaining. I get some of that feel in South Park on the weekends. Just not particularly uptown Charlotte.
Hmm... I think its hit and miss. Sometimes Uptown has that energy and hustle and bustle... but other times its empty.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM

239 posts, read 374,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Hmm... I think its hit and miss. Sometimes Uptown has that energy and hustle and bustle... but other times its empty.

I think Charlotte's downtown has plenty hussle and bussle. At ANY point downtown, you can find PLENTY of people down there....LYNX station, LightRail station, walking down Church and College Streets....cars lined up going to the "W" and other nice hotels down there.....people walking to AND from the Epicenter.

I am not sure if we want thousands and thousands of people walking around downtown at 3-4 am in the morning. Ask NEW ORLEANS how thats working out for them.

I enjoy driving through downtown at night....especially with the nice, HUGE video boards that light up the area...such as near the convention center, TWC Arena, near the W hotel.

And theres PLENTY of restaurants and things. Have yall ever driven down College street and looked to the left and the right to see all of the people sitting outside dining and drinking???

Im lost.. lol. Ive been in Charlotte for 7 months, and I just dont understand how much more from the city people want???
And HALF of the things people want downtown to add, they probably would never even indulge in. So im just a tad bit confused.

Its not NYC....downtown Charlotte is not a big tourist attraction, it has just as much car and foot traffic than other cities its size).

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
I think Charlotte's downtown has plenty hussle and bussle. At ANY point downtown, you can find PLENTY of people down there....LYNX station, LightRail station, walking down Church and College Streets....cars lined up going to the "W" and other nice hotels down there.....people walking to AND from the Epicenter.

I am not sure if we want thousands and thousands of people walking around downtown at 3-4 am in the morning. Ask NEW ORLEANS how thats working out for them.

I enjoy driving through downtown at night....especially with the nice, HUGE video boards that light up the area...such as near the convention center, TWC Arena, near the W hotel.

And theres PLENTY of restaurants and things. Have yall ever driven down College street and looked to the left and the right to see all of the people sitting outside dining and drinking???

Im lost.. lol. Ive been in Charlotte for 7 months, and I just dont understand how much more from the city people want???
And HALF of the things people want downtown to add, they probably would never even indulge in. So im just a tad bit confused.

Its not NYC....downtown Charlotte is not a big tourist attraction, it has just as much car and foot traffic than other cities its size).
I don't think people are complaining, particularly. The OP asked about town vs. city feel . .. I think Charlotte feels like a big town, not a city. That is my opinion. I am a native of the region . . . I am obviously living here so not like I dislike Charlotte, lol.

It is what it is. People are going to have differing opinions, and it does depend on what time of day or night you are in uptown Charlotte as to how it is going to strike you.

WHen I lived 18 miles from downtown KCMO, I spent a LOT of time there. Totally different vibe and 3 distinct areas to choose from (well 4, but 3 I hung out in) . . . KCP&L district, Westport, Plaza were my areas to usually spend time.

So yeah, if Charlotte had what I enjoy going on . . . I would spend more time there. I spend more time in SouthPark than uptown b/c the vibe overall fits what I am looking for better than uptown on a Saturday or Sunday. That's just me! Others will see it differently. They might live in Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood, Dilworth - and have found different paths and things to enjoy that I may not even know about or don't appeal to me. But to me, that is not what I call "uptown." Still, those areas have their own vibe and they are only getting more and more exciting areas to live in.

Parks may be a really big thing for folks, too and Charlotte has some nice parks.

Not trying to be negative . . . we all have our own "things" that we are attracted to. Charlotte has variety and folks can pick and choose and explore - find where they best fit in.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post

Charlotte has all those things... but there have been times when I have been Uptown during the day and people from out of town walk up and ask me where are all the people.

I disagree with those who think it doesn't have enough hustle and bustle.... but there are definitely times when the city is ghostly and IMO there is nothing wrong with it. Most cities Charlotte's size have off hours and even large parts of Manhattan and Center City in Philly are ghostly during off hours.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I don't think people are complaining, particularly. The OP asked about town vs. city feel . .. I think Charlotte feels like a big town, not a city. That is my opinion. I am a native of the region . . . I am obviously living here so not like I dislike Charlotte, lol.

It is what it is. People are going to have differing opinions, and it does depend on what time of day or night you are in uptown Charlotte as to how it is going to strike you.

WHen I lived 18 miles from downtown KCMO, I spent a LOT of time there. Totally different vibe and 3 distinct areas to choose from (well 4, but 3 I hung out in) . . . KCP&L district, Westport, Plaza were my areas to usually spend time.

So yeah, if Charlotte had what I enjoy going on . . . I would spend more time there. I spend more time in SouthPark than uptown b/c the vibe overall fits what I am looking for better than uptown on a Saturday or Sunday. That's just me! Others will see it differently. They might live in Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood, Dilworth - and have found different paths and things to enjoy that I may not even know about or don't appeal to me. But to me, that is not what I call "uptown." Still, those areas have their own vibe and they are only getting more and more exciting areas to live in.

Parks may be a really big thing for folks, too and Charlotte has some nice parks.

Not trying to be negative . . . we all have our own "things" that we are attracted to. Charlotte has variety and folks can pick and choose and explore - find where they best fit in.
Those other areas are buzzing... and Uptown has a nice buzz as well. Uptown is geared more towards the 21 to 30 crowd but I see events at the Museum that are packed with suit and ties and when the Blumenthal and Time Warner have events the city is electric.

Uptown may not be your vibe but its popping with people... NC Music Factory has nice crowds as well.

I agree about Uptown during the weekends in the afternoon. Sometimes it's popping.. and sometimes the tumbleweeds roll through. One think I don't want though is 24/7 crowds.. that's annoying.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
I think you're all crazy for calling Charlotte a big town.

I'd say a Midsized city. St. Louis, for example, is that a town also? Memphis? Austin? Etc. Etc.

I wouldn't even call Spokane, Asheville nor Boise towns But small cities...

I can't wait until NoDa & Plaza are connected uptown via rail. It's going to be amazing having them both open near the same time. (at least to the edge of Plaza).

To me, towns are McAdenville, Gastonia, Huntersville... Not Memphis & Charlotte.

Maybe I'm just nuts and don't know what towns are. I'd say Atlanta is a large American city with NYC, Chicago & LA being NYC, Chicago, & LA. (as in everyone knows how big they are and their names alone describe their size & importance)

Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Those other areas are buzzing... and Uptown has a nice buzz as well. Uptown is geared more towards the 21 to 30 crowd but I see events at the Museum that are packed with suit and ties and when the Blumenthal and Time Warner have events the city is electric.

Uptown may not be your vibe but its popping with people... NC Music Factory has nice crowds as well.

I agree about Uptown during the weekends in the afternoon. Sometimes it's popping.. and sometimes the tumbleweeds roll through. One think I don't want though is 24/7 crowds.. that's annoying.
And that's where a larger downtown population with more retail store fronts would help. Go to Concord Mills on a weekend afternoon and you'll see the type of foot traffic that downtown Charlotte should have. People like to shop and hang out with their friends and families. If folks could do that in downtown; they would.

My hope is that the city will get serious about building some sort of retail row along the streetcar line. Could you imagine 1.5 miles of non-stop retail and dining with streetcar service connecting it all? The reality though is that the streetcar will bisect Charlotte's government district (what's more boring than a government district). So with that said, my hopes for the streetcar are probably just hopes. However, the Knights stadium and Bearden Park could become a catalyst for more uptown retail activity (fingers crossed!!!!).

Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM

239 posts, read 374,359 times
Quote:

Right. And I also explained that alot of Charlotte TOWN feels comes from its SECLUDED-ness with the hilly terrain and the abundance of trees that prevent the city from feeling OPEN.
Trust be told, OUTSIDE of downtown, Atlanta doesnt feel like a big city either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte