U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,761,391 times

Advertisements

Take out a full page add in the charlotte Observer and have 5 or 10 prominent citizens with their pictures telling everyone just how much southern charm visitors will find here..That should do it.Glad to help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I don't know why but people seem to think Charlotte is more like a northeastern city because of uptown but it still has southern charm and it's nothing like cities in the North and once you relax for a moment you will be reminded that you are in a city in the South. It bugs me when people say it has more in common with the North because of the skyscrapers and people from different states but it has a town feel like other cities in the South and there are even some natives with southern accents. It even has a hot, southern summer.
There isn't a city in the south/bible belt built like a northeastern big city. Charleston, Richmond and New Orleans all possess architecture and urban areas that resemble up norf cities. Most other bible belt/southern cities high growth occurred/is ocurring during a different era, so the architecture and urban fabric reflects that.

I do like that word "relax" because that what you can do down here, some like it, some don't.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
1. Says who?
2. What?
3. 2am? It's a state law, like most other states/cities..
-> Last Call (booze) by State and City
4. It's the bible belt....that includes a lot of cities/states but why generalize on Charlotte which in fact is one of the more "liberal" mid-size metros in the south.
5. Uptown's space will eventually be absorbed one day..
6. What?
7. Nashville, Austin, Jacksonville, etc don't have light rail...Charlotte is well ahead of it's peers in this category.
8. What? This isn't Vegas or New Orleans...kind of normal activity, smilar to the rest of the country.
9. What?
10. Genious
lol.. I did the same thing but after the 3rd "what?" I deleted it.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Plaza Midwood has a great BBQ spot...

I have no idea if fried pickles is "southern cuisine"... but it's distinct to the region and weird things like that add to the charm of a city in the south.
okay.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM

58 posts, read 182,100 times
I think there are two different versions of Southern. There is the New South and the Old South. Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville are examples of the New South. Columbia, Mobile, and Jackson are the Old South. Spend any amount of time in these cities and you can easily tell the difference. However, I think both sets are Southern...just different.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM

655 posts, read 574,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinfjmale View Post
I think there are two different versions of Southern. There is the New South and the Old South. Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville are examples of the New South. Columbia, Mobile, and Jackson are the Old South. Spend any amount of time in these cities and you can easily tell the difference. However, I think both sets are Southern...just different.
I agree. I think Charlotte has been labeled as a city of the new south. The city has a "newness," progressive vibe to it. Charlotte does not come across as a historical city, even though this city dates back in history when all the major players in the south were under 20,000 in population.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 AM

279 posts, read 358,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
7. Nashville, Austin, Jacksonville, etc don't have light rail...Charlotte is well ahead of it's peers in this category.
They do have passenger rail.

Jacksonville has an elevated downtown passenger rail system that was built years before Charlotte had one. Nashville has the Music Star Commuter Rail that opened before Lynx. Austin has Capital MetroRail. It's a hybrid commuter rail/light rail system but which operates like a light rail within the city center and commuter rail outside of the downtown district. It covers more territory than the Lynx Blue line and Blue line extension combined.

I would not not say that Charlotte is "well ahead" of it's peers. It's about the same as these peers. Charlotte is well behind Minneapolis & Salt Lake City which started their LRTs about the same time.

Austin MetroRail.

Last edited by Barфsa; 06-20-2013 at 03:16 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 AM

89 posts, read 90,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
I would not not say that Charlotte is "well ahead" of it's peers. It's about the same as these peers.
They're not even peers.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 AM

279 posts, read 358,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian101 View Post
They're not even peers.
True. In regards to urban experience, I'd put Austin & Nashville ahead of Charlotte. Both benefit greatly from their music scene which CLT can not and will not ever match.

I'd say that Charlotte is closest to Jacksonville. I haven't been to Jacksonville in a while, but last time I was there I noticed that downtown, much like Charlotte is a place to go to work, to go drinking, then everyone leaves and goes home to the suburbs. Jacksonville's big plus is the beach.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 AM

89 posts, read 90,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
True. In regards to urban experience, I'd put Austin & Nashville ahead of Charlotte. Both benefit greatly from their music scene which CLT can not and will not ever match.

I'd say that Charlotte is closest to Jacksonville. I haven't been to Jacksonville in a while, but last time I was there I noticed that downtown, much like Charlotte is a place to go to work, to go drinking, then everyone leaves and goes home to the suburbs. Jacksonville's big plus is the beach.
They're not even peers as in Charlotte would come slightly above Austin, Nashville, and Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or