Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM

239 posts, read 376,843 times

Advertisements

Being from Texas, Some of you have "visited" Austin, but I find Austin to be extremely UNIMPRESSIVE.
Outside of downtown, I found Austin quite boring and not a very clean city. Now, certain parts of downtown are AMAZING....but the other 200 square miles are quite boring.

Im not sure what people see in it....maybe just a new, shiny city from what they are used to, but im not quite sure why people prefer it over Charlotte.

Downtown is a really beautiful area with the Lake, the music scene, UT close by, shiny buildings and such, but outside of that, what other part of Austin has areas like Lake Norman, South Park, Steele Creek, and an Airport with an OVERLOOK that attracts thousands and thousands of visitors a year, and such.

Austin is a GREAT city...but I just dont understand what people see in it that propels it over Charlotte.
The music scene is AMAZING...but after you've been to a few bars, that kinda gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM

174 posts, read 313,364 times
Just ask them to visit. They will see then. Most of my friends that come here immediately say that Charlotte is the friendliest and most clean large city they've been in. Other than traffic, this is truly the best of both world. Large city with southern charm unlike Atlanta which is just another law city. I have to move from Charlotte and I'm really going to miss it.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
Just ask them to visit. They will see then. Most of my friends that come here immediately say that Charlotte is the friendliest and most clean large city they've been in. Other than traffic, this is truly the best of both world. Large city with southern charm unlike Atlanta which is just another law city. I have to move from Charlotte and I'm really going to miss it.
This...

everyone thinks Charlotte is this podunk, small town and then they visit and are blown away...

One thing I kept hearing over and over and over during the DNC... "WOW, I never knew Charlotte was this nice"

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
You think Charlotte is a big town.

Now you want people to know its "Southern".

Tell me how you really feel. I take it you must be a southerner also because I can sense some "well bless your heart" sentiments going on.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinfjmale View Post
I think there are two different versions of Southern. There is the New South and the Old South. Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville are examples of the New South. Columbia, Mobile, and Jackson are the Old South. Spend any amount of time in these cities and you can easily tell the difference. However, I think both sets are Southern...just different.
I think of cities like Charleston and Savannah when I think "Old South." If you're using the term more in terms of growth, development, and politics then I could somewhat understand the mention of Mobile and Jackson but I think Columbia is a bit different than those two. It's more along the lines of Greensboro and Winston-Salem on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
True. In regards to urban experience, I'd put Austin & Nashville ahead of Charlotte. Both benefit greatly from their music scene which CLT can not and will not ever match.

I'd say that Charlotte is closest to Jacksonville. I haven't been to Jacksonville in a while, but last time I was there I noticed that downtown, much like Charlotte is a place to go to work, to go drinking, then everyone leaves and goes home to the suburbs. Jacksonville's big plus is the beach.
I don't find Charlotte to be like Jacksonville in that respect at all. Jacksonville's downtown is dead as a doorknob, even on a balmy Saturday night. It's a pretty stark contrast to nightlife in uptown Charlotte. Furthermore, uptown Charlotte has seen TONS more development than downtown Jacksonville over the past couple years.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This...

everyone thinks Charlotte is this podunk, small town and then they visit and are blown away...

One thing I kept hearing over and over and over during the DNC... "WOW, I never knew Charlotte was this nice"
Lol, you're right and it's much more "urban" than many first-time visitors would ever perceive that have little to no previous knowledge about Charlotte. Sure, the city took a big hit during urban renewal but it's probably done more with less than any city in the country...it is NOT the state capitol, it is NOT a toursit destination city, it does NOT reside on a body of water (river), it does NOT reside in a mountain range...it's rather amazing when put into context.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
I've been to several big cities in the US, and they all seemed to calm down on Sunday with traffic thinning out. People don't generally bar hop 7 days a week, they tend to want to get their heads clear for the work week.

I agree with the earlier comments about Austin. When you get over the music scene downtown, the rest of the city looks rather treeless and blah ... it's still in south Texas after all, and lacks the natural greenscape of NC cities.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Charlotte has seen its share of northeastern transplants, but it is still very much a Southern city. One thing I loved about Charlotte is that it IS Southern, but not backwards like much of the rural South. I hope society some day gets over this notion that being a Southern city is something to be ashamed of. Charlotte does Southern right.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
I don't think Charlotte is considered a southern city in my opinion. I do get the southern fill when i drive out of metro charlotte though lol.When I was stationed in Los Angeles a lot of people knew that is was In North Carolina but saw Charlotte as hot new place to move to. Then some just considered it north because you know (North Carolina) lol. I think if its known all the way In Cali then Charlotte is doing a great job as getting known Nationally.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I don't think Charlotte is considered a southern city in my opinion. I do get the southern fill when i drive out of metro charlotte though lol.When I was stationed in Los Angeles a lot of people knew that is was In North Carolina but saw Charlotte as hot new place to move to. Then some just considered it north because you know (North Carolina) lol. I think if its known all the way In Cali then Charlotte is doing a great job as getting known Nationally.
The DNC put Charlotte on the map.. most people have heard of it but aren't the best at geography and struggle with it's location.

I've heard of most cities in Cali but I couldn't point out the exact location of San Jose, Santa Barbara, Sacramento on a map.

years ago a girl in Cali called me up crying because her boyfriend cheated on her and she wanted to know if she could drive to Virginia in 4 hours... so, maybe Cali isn't the best example. LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte