U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 AM

644 posts, read 575,181 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

So which town is better for a young family with kids to move into? Are they basically the same or is one above the other? Young couples (in their 30's) are interested in.......

Schools
Good restaurants (non-chains)
Social life
Nice neighborhoods
Entertainment (movie theater, outdoor concerts, cool coffee shops, bar & grills)

Husband originally from Jersey but lives overseas in Asia for the past 10+ years with a Chinese wife and ready to settle down.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,610 times
I think Matthews would be better for you - Mint Hill is more rural though less expensive. If you move to the part of Matthews attending Providence High School, schools will be excellent (down through elementary) though Butler is good too.
There aren't a whole lot of non-chain establishments in the area, but tiny downtown Matthews has a few places plus a library branch and a wonderful farmers market on Saturday Mornings.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM

629 posts, read 1,470,167 times
We are looking at these two places as well as a couple more so I'm hoping some more folks will chime in!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,658,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I think Matthews would be better for you - Mint Hill is more rural though less expensive. If you move to the part of Matthews attending Providence High School, schools will be excellent (down through elementary) though Butler is good too.
There aren't a whole lot of non-chain establishments in the area, but tiny downtown Matthews has a few places plus a library branch and a wonderful farmers market on Saturday Mornings.
the Matthews (Union County part) is zoned Weddington M/HS (Antioch ES) which is a great area

Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Technically there are no parts of Matthews in Union County. There are parts of Union County that have a Matthews mailing address.

To answer the OP, I think both Matthews and Mint Hill are good areas for young families, but IMO there are not a ton of options in some of the categories you mentioned such as non-chain restaurants and nightlife spots. They both do seem to have some festivals and such. Matthews probably has the edge on schools, but both have many nice neighborhoods and you might be able to find slightly better value in Mint Hill.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
Of the two cities and your list, it would be Matthews hands down for me. I often shop in Matthews and eat over there as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM

171 posts, read 250,966 times
Providence High is one of the best public high schools here, therefore I would say Matthews. I've never liked Mint Hill, too rural and it's definitely more detached from Charlotte than Matthews. Both are lacking non chain restaurants and night spots, but Matthews isn't that far from charlottes new areas, like east Charlotte.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 AM

533 posts, read 764,651 times
Coin toss. Anyone in their 30's with small children is going to transition to another house in 6-7 years anyway. Both Mint Hill and Matthews are great areas. I would lean towards Mint Hill myself personally, because you can get more land out there.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,993,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Coin toss. Anyone in their 30's with small children is going to transition to another house in 6-7 years anyway. Both Mint Hill and Matthews are great areas. I would lean towards Mint Hill myself personally, because you can get more land out there.
Out of curiosity, Why do you feel that? I just purchased a house with a young child with intentions of being in the same home until she graudates high school. I would think most, but not all families want that type of stability for their family. Just wondering the basis behind that?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
Traditionally if all goes well and you promote at work, get raises/equity etc A lot of people including me upsize the home. Especially if you have just the one kid and have more. There's all sorts of reasons as to why move. But for me, it was better income and able to afford more space. Not everyone's first home can be the dream/ideal home. I do try to stay in the school district though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte