U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM

838 posts, read 655,315 times

Advertisements

I guess people here only read American news..

BBC News - US moves to block merger of American Airlines and US Airways

Interesting how things work when you deal with companies US congress are share holders in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,940,997 times
I read this article about an hour ago.

U.S. Challenges Merger of AMR, US Airways - WSJ.com

Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 AM

11,781 posts, read 9,386,212 times
I smell a FOXX...lol.

Anthony Foxx probably told Obama to stop this merger... j/k

Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
The Obama Administration has filed a lawsuit to prevent the merger of the two airlines. The lawsuit was filed by Eric Holder via the Department of Justice.

IMO, this might be the end of those merger plans. I can't imagine the Airlines would want to fight Obama in court. Not much good business in it.

Hard to say if this is good or bad for Charlotte.
How can it be bad? Nothing is for certain but Charlotte (authority or not) has a better chance at keeping hub status if the two airlines remain competitive....actually, this may have saved the hub in Charlotte for the near term.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM

2,108 posts, read 3,588,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
How can it be bad? Nothing is for certain but Charlotte (authority or not) has a better chance at keeping hub status if the two airlines remain competitive....actually, this may have saved the hub in Charlotte for the near term.
I agree here, I for one prefer the status quo since like all mergers the new company will look to cut excess flights (not good for consumers or for CLT).

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM

471 posts, read 881,542 times
Now that I no longer own LCC (sold a few weeks ago ), I will say that the merger will be bad for Charlotte flyers because of CLT's hub status. The non-stop fares are bad enough now, and will rise after a LCC_AA merger, except where Southwest is directly competing. From the perspective of a traveler, I hope the merger is successfully blocked.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM

279 posts, read 360,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
How can it be bad? ....
Well.... US Airways says it needs this merger to effectively survive and compete against the larger airlines, and to receive new investment for competitive products & services.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 PM

2,108 posts, read 3,588,332 times
Quote:
Well.... US Airways says it needs this merger to effectively survive and compete against the larger airlines, and to receive new investment for competitive products & services.
Of course the US Airways CEO pushes this since he was supposed to take over the new AA. However they made good profits in the last years while others did not.
CLT is one of the best HUB (price wise) and that helps them stay competitive. I would not worry about US Airways competitiveness if they stay alone (for now).

Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM

279 posts, read 360,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Of course the US Airways CEO pushes this since he was supposed to take over the new AA. ....
So what you are saying is that Doug Parker is only to be believed when it sounds like something good for Charlotte? LOL

---------

The national news says this is a ploy by the Obama Administration to get some concessions out of the airlines and that the merger will end up going through. They might have to reduce their operations at one or more hubs so that competitors could move in. In Charlotte's case I see that as a negative because we don't have the O&D traffic to justify another airline coming in.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that Doug Parker is only to be believed when it sounds like something good for Charlotte? LOL

---------

The national news says this is a ploy by the Obama Administration to get some concessions out of the airlines and that the merger will end up going through. They might have to reduce their operations at one or more hubs so that competitors could move in. In Charlotte's case I see that as a negative because we don't have the O&D traffic to justify another airline coming in.
Well, the current CEO of AA is guaranteed a $20 million dollar severance once the merger is approved and only God knows what the other executive leeches will receive.

It's all speculation at this point about the hub status and the intentions of the department of justice and the attorney generals from the 6-states involved. The only certainty is that the brass will make out like bandits once the merger is approved...business as usual.

In my opinion, the merger wasn't gonna yield a positive outcome for Charlotte's hub status or airline ticket prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or